IGNORED

96 RSTC guts coming out of exhaust

I just bought a 96 Tour Classic a couple of months ago and noticed the "guts" coming out of one of the 4 into 4 exhaust pipes. I think these are stock pipes. I'm guessing this is the baffle. Long thin cylinder with threads on one end. Tried tapping back in a couple of times but always works its way back out so last time I just pulled it all the way out.

Will this have a negative effect on engine performance. Seems to be running fine, but don't want any damage. Has a little more pronounced backfire, popping sound when letting off the throttle, but that sounds pretty cool.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

I have a set of Jardines (according to the PO) off of my 97 RSTC for sale if you are interested. I had my brother put the original muffs back on, so I don't need the others. I have been told by RoyalStarJac that they don't make them anymore.

Here ya go bj66.

Hey lilsis, I would be interested if I didn't have two teenagers eating me out of house and home. When they move out, I'll be able to get a bike made in this century. For the time being, I'm lovin' my '96. Just curious, are the Jardine's 4 into 4 and why did you opt for the stocks?

Pegscraper, guess I won't worry about it!

Thanks for the input.

Bob

PS - Pegscraper, should I notice an improvement in hp/tourque with the addition of Dynojet kit and K & N filter? Had that added and don't really notice any difference.

Yes there are 4 of them. 2 with hanger things (technical term). I put a post in here wanting $200 plus shipping and was told I probably could get $350 - $400 cause they don't make them anymore. I put them for sale at the higher price on another forum but no takers yet.

I went back to the stock muffs because this bike is new to me and I wanted to learn the sound of the engine. That way when the sounds change I can get big bro to check it out. And I don't really care about loud pipes.

So when you get done with that bike let me know, I may become a collector. LOL

Seeing pictures of the whole mufflers now, yes, those are definitely not stock.

No improvement with a jet kit and K&N air filter doesn't surprise me at all. The camshafts and 28mm carburetors on this bike are way, way, way too small for a 1300cc engine. They are such a horrendous restriction that nothing else done to the engine makes any difference until those two primary restrictions are relieved. Larger 32mm carbs from an RSV will fit on the bike with a little work. They're still too small, but they're all that will easily fit in the bike. That and VMX cams will give you about a 50% increase in hp. That's huge. If you're interested, here is the article on the 32mm carb swap.

http://www.venturerider.org/carbswap/

Here ya go bj66.

Hey lilsis, I would be interested if I didn't have two teenagers eating me out of house and home. When they move out, I'll be able to get a bike made in this century. For the time being, I'm lovin' my '96. Just curious, are the Jardine's 4 into 4 and why did you opt for the stocks?

Pegscraper, guess I won't worry about it!

Thanks for the input.

Bob

PS - Pegscraper, should I notice an improvement in hp/tourque with the addition of Dynojet kit and K & N filter? Had that added and don't really notice any difference.

Like the colors.....nice bike