IGNORED

Progressive Suspension

Guest karras

Hope everyone is doing well! With the bad weather around the corner I am getting ready to take the bike in the garage and fixing it over the winter.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the following product:

420 Series Single Shock

http://www.cyclepages.com/ProductGroupDisp.aspx?ProductGroupID=4000199

They call it Progressive Suspension. I am by far an expert on this so forgive the ridiculous questions...but they state "420 Series high-performance shocks eliminate the need for a remote reservoir by utilizing an internal nitrogen bladder"

Does this have to do with the Descicant container? What would be an advantage, if any, in using such a shock as a replacement? Is it worth the price or getting a stock used one on eBay? I like replacing with new parts when possible, even if a little more expensive.

It states that it fits the XVZ12/13 Royale.

Thanks in advance!

I have one on my '83 Venture Standard. One thing you should know up front... it is NOT air adjustable. Adjusting for pre-load is done with a ring and locknut, and it is not easy to do. That being said, it is one of the best things I've added on my '83. It is a MUCH better shock than the stock one. The ride is very much improved. The lack of air adjust hasn't been a problem. I adjusted it for a good ride with my wife aboard. When I ride alone, I don't have to re-adjust it. Once you get it set-up for 2-up riding, since it is progressive, you won't have to mess with it. One-up, it rides slightly higher, but it is good either one-up or 2 -up. It took a few tries to get the damping and the spring adjusted for what I liked, but after that, it's good to go.

This brings up an idea. On all the 1st gens.

Install this shock on the Rear, and the Progressive on the Front,

you can then Completly, remove the Air pump System.

The pump, all the lines, the control panel etc etc.

This removes some excess weight, and free's up some Instrument

panel space.

And makes maintenance, and dealing with your 1st Gen a little simpler.

I allready did the front, mod. I will be seriously considering doing this.

Yup, I was asking this same question a year ago on this forum. My rear spring was sacked - not leaky and it was functional, but the bike sat way too low 2-up, even with max air pressure. I finally bought the shock for $335 from MAW. It works good; not quite as stiff as I expected. My wife and I are around 400 lb together and it works best with the spring preload set at max (installed spring height 5" per Progressive instructions). That provides a nice balance of ride height 1-up and 2-up, and the ride quality is very nice. I started with a little less preload and ended up at the max. I'd set it there before even installing it if I were you, unless you never go 2-up. Damping adj. is pretty easy to get to.

I have Progressives in front and left the air connected. With present preload I like a few psi in the forks; a little more preload might alieviate this. I took the rear air connection and ran a hose off it into a saddlebag, and installed an air chuck. Emergency tire pump! Not ideal as the little compressor isn't very excited about the volume of air a tire requires, but it does work.

Jeremy

This is a great idea for space and controls but does it remove that much weight? Is there an advantage vs being able to pumpthe psi as we like from the touch of a button (besides convenience).

Does that mean we could get rid of the desicant as well?

This brings up an idea. On all the 1st gens.

Install this shock on the Rear, and the Progressive on the Front,

you can then Completly, remove the Air pump System.

The pump, all the lines, the control panel etc etc.

This removes some excess weight, and free's up some Instrument

panel space.

And makes maintenance, and dealing with your 1st Gen a little simpler.

I allready did the front, mod. I will be seriously considering doing this.

• 6 years later...

I have stripped the entire CLASS system out of my 86 with progressives, both front and rear. My rear unit is somewhat different than the 420 in that it has a separate pressure chamber that is adjustable. I have not seen another like this one. The setup works well with the extra load of the sidecar.

I have stripped the entire CLASS system out of my 86 with progressives, both front and rear. My rear unit is somewhat different than the 420 in that it has a separate pressure chamber that is adjustable. I have not seen another like this one. The setup works well with the extra load of the sidecar.

What is a "420" suspension part?

I know "420" can mean "met us under the bleachers at 4:20 to smoke pot"

What is a "420" suspension part?

I know "420" can mean "met us under the bleachers at 4:20 to smoke pot"

I believe it means "meet me in my garage at 4:20 AM to start the day helping me install this thing on my bike " :sun: