IGNORED

it could have been me

pegscraper

Maybe this is bad timing or poor taste at the moment, but this happened to me yesterday. I pulled onto a four lane highway and headed into town. The next vehicle down was a garbage truck. (He was a ways down there. I had plenty of room.) It was still a bit dim and with a light mist in the air. Plenty of visibility, but it's extremely humid and my helmet visor wouldn't stay clear. I pulled off onto a side street where I took the visor off of the helmet, and put it in a sidebag so I could see. I put the helmet back on and get back on the highway. A few miles up the road I see there is an accident just after a crossroad. I hear sirens as police and an ambulance are just arriving. As I go by I see a minivan in the ditch, and the garbage truck is on the side of the road, looking like it's totally untouched. I'm guessing that the minivan driver didn't see the garbage truck and pulled out right in front of it. If someone didn't see a garbage truck, the person sure wouldn't have seen me. Sorry it was him, but glad it wasn't me. I would have been the one in the ditch rather than the minivan. The guy in the garbage truck probably wasn't hurt at all. If I hadn't pulled off the road to remove my visor, I would have still been in front of the garbage truck. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Almost the same thing happened to a buddy of mine a few weeks ago. He was following a Cadillac Suv that was sight seeing and noted the SUV driving erratically. We have a problem with city people practicing driving out here perticularly in the fall when all the Farm stands are open. pumpkin pickers we call the Gourd hoard! Went to turn one direction then paused and then the other. John had no idea where he wanted to go so he pulled off the road. Right at this point the Suv jammed on its breaks and the next vehicle slammed into the back. Instinct kept him from becoming Biker pudding. I just dont feel safe.

Guest KitCarson
Almost the same thing happened to a buddy of mine a few weeks ago. He was following a Cadillac Suv that was sight seeing and noted the SUV driving erratically. We have a problem with city people practicing driving out here perticularly in the fall when all the Farm stands are open. pumpkin pickers we call the Gourd hoard! Went to turn one direction then paused and then the other. John had no idea where he wanted to go so he pulled off the road. Right at this point the Suv jammed on its breaks and the next vehicle slammed into the back. Instinct kept him from becoming Biker pudding. I just dont feel safe.
Hi Scott: I read your other post, yes it is quite a concern to look around and see friends and people you know, always involved in an accident. That I suppose is my only concern about riding.......are the ones coming up behind me, I always keep one eye behind me, always, keep the bike in gear at the stop......have trained Sandy to watch too.......and practiced it in empty parking lots....you feel this bike start to jump at the stop......you grab me and hold on we are going for a ride.

Your buddy did the right thing...he was observant....

I would be lying to you if I told you none of us ever have your feelings you are having at the moment...we all have them..it scares each and everyone of us.....if someone says not....hand him a violin!!

I spent lots of time in Vietnam.........learned early......to see the buddy you were joking with go down..........learned to be afraid but not live with fear.....does that make sense to you? This is the way I view riding......I will not ever give it up.....but each time I hear of an accident......I will simply do more to get better.......I work on that every day.......just get more determined to do better. This is a major concern I suppose we all have from time to time, I have it........I am not so concerned with myself....but I am very concerned with Miss Brown Eyes.......but we both love the Bikes, always have.....know the risks...and choose to take them.

I have on occasion got a little depressed for a day or so.......felt just like you do........so it is a decision you have to make.......and have already made.....Take Care. Kit

Hi Scott: I read your other post, yes it is quite a concern to look around and see friends and people you know, always involved in an accident. That I suppose is my only concern about riding.......are the ones coming up behind me, I always keep one eye behind me, always, keep the bike in gear at the stop......have trained Sandy to watch too.......and practiced it in empty parking lots....you feel this bike start to jump at the stop......you grab me and hold on we are going for a ride.

Your buddy did the right thing...he was observant....

I've always been concerned with people coming up behind me as well. Funny thing is I've never thought about keeping my bike in gear at a stop. Great point there, and I plan to change that bad habit.

I think CLOSE CALLS occur to wake us up to the fact that sometimes we take things for granted and do things spontaneously or almost habitually without thinking. When these things happen to me, I stop and think how lucky I am to have avoided this occurence. Makes me think about how short life can be, and how lucky I am to be a live. Take care, somebody up there loves you.

Peggy