IGNORED

Taller RSV riders (> 6'2) - please comment!

BigBear

So...I've added the Baron risers....seemed to make the ache in my shoulder blades a little better.

I find that there is less of an ache when I extend my arms almost fully (not quite locked), than when I ride with arms bent (45 degrees). I do have a backrest that is quite comfortable (thanks DiamondR)! Shirt sleeves are about 37'ish...

I'm thinking about removing the risers, and changing out the handlebars. :mo money: I hear folks speak highly of the Flanders.....Any other suggestions?

How does one figure out how much rise and "pull back" is needed on the bars to be comfortable?

So I thought I would ask the TALLER "experts"!

What say ye?

I'm about 6'2 and had pretty bad neck and shoulder pain with the stock set up. I put on the Baron's and that helped a bit like you noticed. I did the Flanders bar and kept the risers on...big difference. Took a little getting used to cause it was pretty much a whole new position with my arms and shoulders but I can ride all day now without any pain so for me it was well worth it. I also changed out the seat around the same time and that may have been a factor too.

My arms don't extend nearly as much as before and are much closer in at the shoulder and elbow. It almost felt cramped at first but I'm not scrunching my neck and shoulders like I used to. I could get relief with the stock by stretching like you mentioned but that was only temporary. Hope you find a solution that works. I was getting pretty bummed at how quickly I was getting discomfort on the bike. Before I could only go a few hours before my shoulders and neck started tightening up. Just after I made the full change I did about 675 miles, 12 or so hours, in a day and could have kept going. Felt like a new bike and was well worth the money spent. Good luck!

And .... is there a specific model of Flanders bars you are all getting, or does it depend on the amount of "rise & pull back" required?

I have the G2 on my bike. I forget who but someone here did a good comparison on the difference between the stock and G2.

Cant comment on the Flanders bars (i will be interested in others postings tho). i just installed the Baron risers on my RSV but after sitting on it several times(never did test ride with them) i just removed them . dont like my arm position with them ,just didnt feel right to me ,so pushed my bars forward and closed that small gap between bar and fairing its only about 1/2" , we'll see if that'll make any differrence.i'll be trying it out in the next few days .

i had the same problem of shoulder blade pain when i first got the RSV (i'm 6'4") but it soon went away,with more riding time. my problem is my pinky finger on my right hand goes numb off and on ,more a pain in the erse than anything. so i might be trying the flanders bars next .only 2 things on this bike i hate/d, the pillow seat ( really was a huge pain in the erse ,thanks to Mr Butler for fixing that) and the handlebars.

Well I'm 6ft 7 and have had the burn between the shoulder blades. I have the baron Risers and love it. Also I thing the seat has a lot to do with the way my shoulders feel.

Since I put on the Russel Day Long seat last year I have not had any more shoulder burn.

I took it to Fl. to see the kids 690 mile in 11 hours and felt great when I got there. The RDL seat lets me sit back off the Tank and with the backrest and risers it works great for me.

Even having the sidecar on the bike ( which really makes you work the arms and shoulders in the twisties. Still no more pain.)

Since I put on the Russel Day Long seat last year I have not had any more shoulder burn.

Steve - Does the Russel seat change the height overall, or is it the same height just a different build of materials?

So I thought I would ask the TALLER "experts"!

What say ye?

I'm no expert, but I'm 6'6", and like you feel more comfortable with my arms up and just slightly bent. I could adjust the bars and risers on a 1stGen to get the right 'feel', but on this new2me '99RSV I feel 'crowded' with the normal setup. I also feel like I'm sitting on it rather than in it. After looking at what I could do, and I figured that if I put any riser or extension on the stock bars it would actually push the bars further back because it has to clear the dash overhang and can't go straight up. IMHO I think I'm going to address the seat position and see if by removing some of the padding I can sit farther back and gain a couple of inches more setback from the grips. Getting a little 'padding' off the rear end would help a bunch too.... :)

I'm 6'5" and I ride with my stock handlebars in the position they came from the dealership in. I have added a Utopia backrest. I find the position to be just about perfect for me. On my previous bike (Suzuki Boulevard) I installed risers and really liked the diffrence it made.

I'm 6'3" and don't seem to have trouble with shoulder pain.

I do think of changing the bars because the angle right at the grips are pointed down a bit too much. I end up holding on the the bars with my index/middle finger and thumb. Ring and pinky fingers are not on the bars. It's kinda nit-picky but on long rides I think about finding a bar that fits the angle of my hands better.

I was hoping for "buy XYZ".....but there is a LOT of good data here!

Sounds like a lot of folks have bought/installed the Flanders G2 and they really like 'em. From the specs, they are the same height as the RSV stock bars, but with 2.5" more pull-back.

I'm gonna continue looking at Flanders to see if they have something similar to the G2s, but with maybe 1/2 - 1" more in height. If not, then the G2s it is!

Thanks again for all of the expert advice!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I just noticed your from Rockledge Fl.

By any chance do you know a guy named Gary Penna he use to be a cop there.

Nope...don't know Gary.

A guy I work with is a reserve officer with Rockledge PD (Tony Arnovitz)...I'l ask him if he knows Gary...