IGNORED

Auto AC question

Jethroish

With all the great knowledge on this site, I am sure some one here can answer my question.

The clutch pulley gave out on my truck's AC compressor. With 278,000 miles on the original compressor, I figure better to just replace the compressor rather than put a new clutch pulley on.

Warranty info on all the comps. I have looked at say that the accumulator and/or drier has to be replaced also.

Up until the pulley gave out, the system blew nice and cold.

Aside from warranty issue on the remaned compressor, will the system be compromised and likely to fail if I do not replace the other part(s)?

Yes, the Acc/drier both need to be replaced. In a nutshell it keeps debris from floating through the system. I had a compressor replaced on an older car years ago and the mechanic insisted that those two parts dont need replacing. The compressor failed within 8 months. Torn up from the debris in the charging coolant. A really good AC shop here in town went ahead and replaced all three parts and the compressor worked fine for another 7 years until I sold it. I also believe he changed out some of the lines too.

Called the shop that did my engine swap. They gave me a price of $471.50 plus tax for a new Delphi compressor and a new accumulator/drier, installed and evaced and recharged.

They also offer to install comp and accum that I supply, but will only promise that they are installed correctly and charged properly.

I'm thinking the $471 is not a bad price, although I can get a remanned compressor for $100. Their new Deplhi is about $250 or $275.

I picked up the whole works from NAPA for my `97 F250 for under $250.00 and did the work myself, so if their price is material and labor then thats not bad..

Called the shop that did my engine swap. They gave me a price of $471.50 plus tax for a new Delphi compressor and a new accumulator/drier, installed and evaced and recharged.

They also offer to install comp and accum that I supply, but will only promise that they are installed correctly and charged properly.

I'm thinking the $471 is not a bad price, although I can get a remanned compressor for $100. Their new Deplhi is about $250 or $275.

Tap on the front of the compressor clutch. If the clutch pulls in the airgap just needs to be adjusted. My Sonomas air conditioner quit working and I had figured out it was the clutch. I talked to a friend at his shop and he told me to go out and try that and it worked. Takes a special tool to adjust and his was wore out. He ordered it from Napa and when they dropped it off he adjusted it and only charged me 20 dollars. The tool cost him 80.

if it has been working for a long time,without,adding,refrig,the system is clean,when you open up the system,that is when mosture and/or other crap get in it,my little caraven,has 240,000,on it,, two cluthes,if mosture gets in the system,more than likly an evaporator,will spring a leak,also,bad clutch fan,go bad,causing high head press,this usley happen when,driving at low speed or stopped

another :2cents:

lowell

I'd jump on it. GMC dealer wanted $1,000.00 to do the same thing on a 03 Yukon Denali that I had.

Glenn

Followup:

Being the frugal (my wife says cheap a$$) person I am, I wanted to save my money.

After taking the nut off the front of the pulley, the clutch assembly came off in 2 pieces. Supposed to be one piece.

Since the ac was working fine before all this, I bought a a rebuilt clutch pulley for $50. I would have rather replaced the entire pulley, clutch and coil, it was going to be a little hard.

So, I took the clutch assembly from the new pulley, added new shims, and I got cold air.

Turns out the shims were so worn that the clutch plate was rubbing the pulley and and caused the failure.

Don't forget to replace the orifice. If this stops up it will not cool and the high side pressure will go through the roof. If it is a Ford sometimes you have to replace the high side hose to do this. There is a kit you can buy that you can cut the line and install the orifice with compression fittings. The orifice is one of the most important parts of the system in that it separates the low and high sides.

Don't forget to replace the orifice. If this stops up it will not cool and the high side pressure will go through the roof. If it is a Ford sometimes you have to replace the high side hose to do this. There is a kit you can buy that you can cut the line and install the orifice with compression fittings. The orifice is one of the most important parts of the system in that it separates the low and high sides.

System was never opened up. No discharge, no recharge.