IGNORED

2 bikers killed in accident

autopilot

This occurred this AM about 11:00.

http://www.wciv.com/news/stories/0510/734839.html?ref=em

Mount Pleasant, SC - Police say two motorcyclists were killed in an accident when their motorcycles were struck and pushed into cars in Mount Pleasant on Tuesday.

The Mount Pleasant Police say 50-year-old James Hines from New York and 80-year-old James Doucette from Florida died from injuries sustained from the accident.

According to authorities, the two motorcycles were stopped in traffic near the intersection of 17 South and Anna Knapp. Police say the two motorcycles were then struck from behind by an SUV, which then pushed the two motorcycles into a car in front and then in to another car.

Authorities say both men were in town for bike week. They were transported to MUSC where they died. The accident is still under investigation, charges are pending. Highway 17 south was closed for about three hours.

I got there shortly after they loaded 3 ambulances & headed on south into Charleston. There was a Harley laid over on it's left side with the aft end from the tank back under a large van (with the front of the van mashed......I think the pic in the article is that bike from the reverse angle) and what looked like 3 or 4 others on the ground with all manner of pieces bent & missing. I can't recall ever seeing that much bike debris....it was everywhere. The speed limit in that area (2 stoplights N of the Ravenel Bridge on Hwy 17 S) is 45 and is stop and go any time of the day; but especially that time of day. I'll stop short of speculating what the SUV driver did or didn't do and simply ask for prayers for all concerned. There were at least 6-8 other bikes parked a little beyond the wreck; I'm guessing they were part of a group ride and the 2 that were killed were at the tail end possibly separated from the rest by a car, but I don't know.

All of the radio stations have been doing almost 1/2 hourly PSAs about watching out and reminding people that bikes are out in numbers......it's just not enough. Our presence just doesn't seem to be being made important enough to the rest of the driving public!

they have released the name of the driver who hit them. He is 38 years old and they will be charging him. We do not know yet what the charge will be. Jim Hines was my cousin, the other driver was his father in law. Jim's brother in law and 2 friends were also there. What started as a an amazing vacation has ended in tragedy for all who were touched. We will miss them terribly. Jim's wife has lost both her husband and her father in a matter of seconds.

Yes. Way too much of that going on lately. Wish people would pay attention when their driving. Seems that people do everything but drive when they're behind the wheel.
Its as though they have this atitude that they can alway's do it in the car while driving when they run out of time to do something were it should be done like at the office or at home.

This is happening way too much lately. It's early in the AM when I get online, and I have the local news station playing in the background. It seems like every morning... or afternoon for that matter... during the traffic accident reports they are including a motorcyclist down. Last weekend while riding to and from the Hog Roast all of those electronic traffic signs on the freeway had "share the road- watch for motorcycles'' messages posted on them. It did seem like drivers gave me more space. Wish they'd do it more often. At least the state is trying to do something to build MC awareness.... 'cause we ain't going away...

Update - Yesterday, the court in S.C. decided that the only punishment for not paying attention while you are driving and killing 2 bikers is a speeding ticket. No charges will be filed against this driver. :225:

Update - Yesterday, the court in S.C. decided that the only punishment for not paying attention while you are driving and killing 2 bikers is a speeding ticket. No charges will be filed against this driver. :225:

I guess that means its open season on bikers, that is a disgusting verdict.

Ian

In the US can the familly not lay or persue some sort of wrongfull death or motor manslaughter charges?

Its the texting that scares me the most largly because its done the most by the most inexperienced drivers, or weman that are busy running around shopping and multitasking, trying to get everything done at once.

Here in Ontario since they banned cellphone use while driving, people have taken to texting more, thinking they can fool the police. In the mean time their eye,s are down. Badly as this sounds it would appear that taliking on the cell phone would be the lesser of two evils, at least the persons eyes are looking forward instead of down, other than when dialing the number, which could be done holding the phone up in front of you within your line of sight.

I was once rearended while driving my truck by a girl texting, and all I could think was good thing I was not on my motorbike.

Edited by saddlebum

Update - Yesterday, the court in S.C. decided that the only punishment for not paying attention while you are driving and killing 2 bikers is a speeding ticket. No charges will be filed against this driver.

I don't get it. It really does seem to be open season on motorcyclists in a lot of places.

if that same motorist killed a pedestrian, they'd be facing manslaughter charges.

I don't get it. It really does seem to be open season on motorcyclists in a lot of places.

if that same motorist killed a pedestrian, they'd be facing manslaughter charges.

Two people died because of the drivers negligence. What every happened to involuntary manslaughter. So what they' re saying is... if the guy has a wife, two kids, and a home in the suburbs, and is 'Joe Average' he should be forgiven?? He was stupid enough to disregard other's safety my using a cell phone. Time to do time... When are people going to be held responsible for their actions??....................

Two people died because of the drivers negligence. What every happened to involuntary manslaughter. So what they' re saying is... if the guy has a wife, two kids, and a home in the suburbs, and is 'Joe Average' he should be forgiven?? He was stupid enough to disregard other's safety my using a cell phone. Time to do time... When are people going to be held responsible for their actions??....................

The shame of this is - one of those riders fit's this example to a T. He was Joe Average (and a little bit more) a wife, 2 kids and a home in the suburbs - worked 3 jobs - the other a great dad and and a grandpa - 80 years old and living in florida.