IGNORED

CCW Holders?

YoungBlood

Any other CCW holders on here? I'm having a problem finding the right way to ride with heat. I carry a Glock model 30 or a MR Baby Eagle 9mm 90% of the time. Soemtimes I carry a Sig P220, but it's hard to carry a full sized handgun concealed.

Anyway, the problem I'm having is that when I carry my weapon on the inside of my waistband, it's very awkward and jabs me in the side not to mention if my shirt gets to flapping in the breeze it shows in my wastebnd. When I carry in my shoulder rig it feels bulky, and since when I wear my rig I have to wear my jacket, it takes more time to draw if I need to. I thought about trying an ankle holster, but again the draw speed isn't there.

Is there a happy medium here, or do I just need to suck it up?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try the small tank bag that doubles as the fanny pak. there is a compartment for heat.

just saw one on ebay.

that reminds me. i have a tank bag on my watch list i need to check.

later.

also the tank bag that is a small back pack with heat compartment.

I am a springfield TRP man myself. i use thunderwear.

if the wife has any sewing abilities, you can put a pocket in any jacket.

like a riding jacket.

you can also an alteration person if the wife/significan other doesn't sew.

depending on states law, make sure your heat doesn't print on the outside.

about the only thing Louisiana is a stickler for is accuracy, don't miss what ever ya do.

i've got a small rectangular bag that harley made to put in the electra glide standard's radio/stereo space....it holds my wallet and my compact 45....and has loops to put your belt through...works great...

Not to change the subject, but you need to have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, the constitution says you have the right to bear arms (no permit). so why mess with the permit, just clip the thing on our belt.

I'm still trying to figure out how to carry my combat sword

I carry both Open Carry and Concealed using either a Bersa .380 or XD 9mm Sub-compact . I also have CCW Laws websites bookmarked on my Droid as well . When Open Carry , I use either a G-Code or my own self made holster mounted on a G-Code RTI wheel . The RTI wheel is a Quick Disconnect that mounts on my belt. I can take off and on with ease aand even have an extra RTI wheel mounted on a RAM mount if needed out in the open . When Concealed , it's in my inside vest pocket.

Not to get into a spittin contest , I carry because it's my rights. I carry because that if the need may arise , I can protect not only myself, my wife and family/friends and live another day. Especially on a bike , you have less protection than a inside a cage . In a cage , you have more resources to protect you and your family, Lock doors and speed off away from danger if need too. On a scoot at a red light or stop sign , one stranger/pedestrian can come across and with one hand, pull you down ! If that would have happened , you know what that persons intent to do. So having a form of protection in the trunk or saddlebags isn't going to do you any good at that time. Might as well leave you protection at home.

Carrying a firearm is a huge responsibility. Knowledge and an abundant amount of training is needed. I myself have taken several Carry Conceal courses as well as Tactical Pistol courses. Next is some Tactical Carbine classes, now I have my new AR-15 . Soon to get my Tax Stamp and a 7" SBR !

BEER30

Crossbreed super tuck.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

My vest keeps the shirt from flapping.

Plus 1 on Crossbeedholsters... Lifetime warranty...if it breaks or something goes wrong...they fix it or replace it...one week trail period.

Big guns are no problem...heavy guns are no problem.

Carrying a weapon may not be comfortable...but it is comforting.

Also 2nd what Beer said. Bad guy is not gonna wait till you go get your weapon. Training is a must, it also helps to learn how and what you can and can not do legally.

Edited by CMIKE

Guest Oldsalt

Having tried too many combinations of gun, holster, and clothing I settled on a hip holster (outside the belt) because it has 'freedom of movement'. I also settled on a revolver (because of dependability) in .357mag. size. I can draw it as fast as any rig I ever had, it is big enough to do the job, doesn't get in the way, and the only 'negative' is that it doesn't hold a box of ammo without reloading. To me, going bang when I pull the trigger is #1. And if I need more rounds than the revolver carries then I did some piss-poor planning just prior to the situation.

Bottom line: Try as many ideas and see what works for you. I have several of the nice jackets with concealed holsters inside. Nice jackets but I was never comfortable in being able to get things out in a timely fashion. Good luck in your search. Remember it is also fun sorting through all these ideas and trying out some. That is why a lot of us enjoy the shooting sports (as well as covering our a$$).

oldsalt

Good post! I don't mention to any persons around me, but I carry (always) a .380 in an ankle holster, a boot knife, a skinning knife in my right pocket, and a .44 Charter Arms in a sholder holster or in my Tourmaster Airflow (which conveniently has a pistol pocket). I have been in law enforcement in the past and I refuse to be a victim.

Enough said.

:farmer:

I have a kel tec 9mm and a permit. I have a holster that clips on my belt. I never thought I would see the day I had to carry a gun but today I do. When riding I put it in the trunk. I had to get it out today. My wife and I were coming back from a ride and I was in the right lane and the car in front of me was going to turn into Kmart. He changed his mind and and switched to the left lane. I could tell he wasn't paying attention so I accelerated to go on by him in the left lane. Just as I got even with the rear of the car he swerved back into the right lane and almost hit me. I had to lock down on the brakes and almost jump the sidewalk. I went around him on the left and he had his window down. I got next to him and told him he needed to pay attention he almost ran over me. I have the right to remain silent but not the ablility. I can't repeat what he said. I turned right at the next street and pulled into the kmart parking lot. He came up next to me and opened his car door and called me some interesting names. I stopped and opened the trunk and put my gun on my hip. He sped away. A few weeks ago I thought I was going to have to use it. I park my bike behind my office right behind the window of my office. I was leaving for the day and everyone else had left. I had my gun on my belt. I was next to my bike with my helmet on and was just going to throw my leg over the seat and I saw a guy coming toward me from across the lot. He was over six feet tall and good size guy and he was coming directly toward me. I stood up next to my bike because I figured I had a better chance defending myself standing up rather than sitting on the bike. The guy go within about 20 feet and I noticed he looked at my gun on my side. He threw his hands in the air and said, Hey man, I don't mean you any harm, I just wanted to see if you had any money so I could get something to eat. I told him to get the hell away from me and he did. That might have been his intention all along but with me behind the building he could have robbed and beaten me and no one would have seen it. In this situation just having the gun helped me.

Guest seuadr
I never thought I would see the day I had to carry a gun but today I do. When riding I put it in the trunk. I had to get it out today.

i am in the same boat. i don't want to feel like i need a firearm to protect myself, but people are getting more and more brazen.

the other day i came home to a guy parked in my driveway, looking in my windows. i asked him what he was doing, he said he was "looking for andy" i told him no andys live here, and he said " aw man, sorry for the bother " and hopped in his truck, then shot on across the street. after a second, he got out and the guy next door came out and greeted him, same conversation seemed to take place.

i'm pretty sure that guy was casing houses.

makes me sad, and concerned. i'm gonna be looking at taking a CCW permit class and firearm training through the college i work at. i'd rather haul around a gun i don't need than need a gun i don't have..

Sometimes just showing your armed can possibly detour a situation. But I was taught never draw a weapon unless I intended to use it.

One story for me to tell. Coming back from a trip to Georgia , I was in Florence SC. along with almost other 40 bikes . Road construction that diverted all lanes into one lane. Listening to the truckers on the CB , they were blocking all the cagers from rushing up and that were not waiting there turn ....(you know what I mean) . I was the last bike as I had the BEERCART. All of us bikers were in the proper lane. You could tell other cagers were getting tired of all the idiots forcing there way breaking in line , so I got into the short lane to hold off any of these idiots as we sat idol by. First was a lady in a Chevy Cavalier . Pull half way off the shoulder and almost drug here muffler off her car just to get around me. She looked at me at gave the got to Haiti's look . ....I'm such a Good looker!.... Then came Billy-Bob in his P/U truck with monster mudders . He pulled to the side of me and sat beside me as we just sat there waiting for motion. He rolled down his window and started patting a baseball bat into his other palm . I guess he wanted to scare me ! I politely pulled my vest to the side and showed him that my XD trumped his baseball bat. I thought he was going to put grits in his britches and speed off . NOT ! He put's his little Tonka toy truck in reverse and get's back into line. I looked into the mirror and say the cager behind which happened to be an un-marked LEO. He was laughing his A$$ off and gave me to thumbs up !

BEER30

Well said Beer30

The Flip-Flop

I spend a lot of time at gun ranges and was amazed with some of the stories I was hearing. To make a long story short around 50% of the folks I talked to had someway been victims. After hearing a few of these stories I decided to listen to as many of them as I could. When a new face walked in we got to talking and I asked, way are you here, each and every time it was because they had been a victim of some kind, most of them would say never again. This got my curiosity and by listening to them many would tell me that they were against guns and a law biding citizen carrying a hand gun. But after becoming a victim that all change. Now it's all about protecting yourself. Well it's what I call the flip-flop being total against guns and only after becoming a victim did he /she flip-flop and was new all for guns. Just remember bud guy don't have or care about laws, bad people will all ways have guns.

Carrying a firearm is a huge responsibility. Knowing when and how could save you or a love one lives.

I have taken several Training and Tactical courses most of them in the military.

I'm also a reloaded.

Edited by Al Bates

I am always armed. I keep it in a pancake holster (always in the same spot). That way I don't have to think where is it if the defecation hits the cooling element. If it's 30 degrees or 100 degrees I dress accordingly to ensure that it is concealed. Is it hot....yes. Is it a pain....yes. Sometimes you just have to deal with it.

I would highly recommend NOT storing it on the bike, you can very easily become separated form it. If you go down on the road and are removed by EMS you go to the hospital and the bike gets towed and there goes your weapon. Responding LE will have no way of knowing that the weapon is with the bike.

WE ALL NEED TO REMEMBER...only use the firearm where nothing else will work.

Walk away if you can. I know it is hard with some folks acting stupid and really testing you. Never resort to the deadly weapon in anger. If you carry a weapon you need to be in control of yourself and your emotions at all times.

Most of the time you probably should never use it to defend property (Property = wallet, wheels on your car, or bike) unless it is inside your home. Inside the home is a little different. Most states do not require you to retreat from your home if someone is threating your life. In some states you have the responsiblity to retreat on the street and in your home.

Know the laws of your state or the state you are in at the time...hopefully you have training that taught you the laws before you start carring a deadly weapon. You need to know what you can and cannot do.

Is it worth paying a lawyer thousands and thousands of dollars to keep your butt out of jail when your life or the life of your loved ones may not have actually been in danger, cause you cannot totally convince a jury of your peers that you were about to loose your life.

You need to make sure your opponent has the ability, means and intentions to cause you or a loved one deadly harm. Meet force with equal force. A black eye or knocked out teeth is not deadly force unless you are of the weaker sex (woman) or there are multiple bad guys or he is really really big and you are an old man maybe with a cane. A guy in a wheel chair with a baseball bat may have the intent and means but he does not have the abilty...you can walk away from him to avoid the danger.

Masaad Ayoob used (or may still do) to carry a book of matches with a $5 bill wrapped around it to toss to the bad guys he encountered and tell them to go buy them selves a drink, hoping they would go on thier way rather than having to kill them cause they were robbing or about to try to mug him. This set him up in the courts that he tried to pay them to leave.

With the judges sitting on the bench now days and the DA's that are in office plus what you could get as a jury...you need make sure you are justified in the use of deadly force. If you pull out a deadly weapon (knife or gun sometimes a beer bottle), becareful...you could be charged with assault with a deadly weapon (according to how the witnesses interpret your intent) and go to jail a few years for that...even if it was just to scare the guy or make him go away.

In a standard murder defense, the state has to prove the elements of the crime to the standards of "Beyond a reasonable doubt" and it is the defense's job to descredit the prosecution and the witnesses it presents. But in a true self defense case, the burden of proof shifts to the defendant to prove that your actions were that of a reasonable and prudent person and your proof must meet the standards of a "preponderance of evidence"...You need evidence you acted reasonable...simular to a civil case. In some states you could also be sued in civil court for damages costing you millions of dollars if you are convicted or not. Mississippi law says if you are cleared of all crimes in the incident then they cannot sue you in civil court.

Do not be a hero. Do not get involved with disputes that you do not know all the facts of or are not your fights. If you see a guy beating the snot out of a woman on the side of the road...do not get involved or pull your gun to break it up. (I know this is a hard one for us guys) You do not know all the facts..that could be a plain clothes officer arresting a conviced fellon/mulitple murderer. You do not know the facts of what is going on...Call 911 and be a good witness.

If you fire that weapon you are pretty much garanteed to go to jail, for a little while at least. It is gonna cost you lawyer fees...make sure it is worth it.

It will be hard for me to hand over my wallet, even if it has no cash in it, to anybody and not sure I could do it without causing much discomfort to the robber, but if he had a knife or a gun, I am sure I would feel my life was in danger and probably use my weapon to stop what is going on very quickly. I then would have a big lawyer bill to deal with and the stress of worrying if I was going to jail for a long time. You have to think real hard about what you will do before it happens.

We can all just hope and pray we never ever have to use deadly force, but like a spare tire or a fire extenguisher...it will be there if we need it as a last resort to save our lives.

Be careful how you respond.:thumbsup: :soapbox::rant:

Note: Massad Ayoob is a well know police officer, author of many books on self defense, expert witness for many self defense court cases and one of the best firearms instructors in the country. Google his name...read some of his books.

Edited by CMIKE