IGNORED

What to check on a '97 Tour Classic?

From a mechanical or a what-can-go-wrong standpoint, the Royal Star is basically the same thing as the later RSVs and you can look it over just the same way. With only 17,000 miles, probably all you'll find is a mouse nest or dry rotted tires.

Amazingly this bike still weighs around 800 lbs. Not very much less than the RSV at all. Can lilsis handle a big and heavy bike?

Well "Little sister".

I am quite sure you can handle a ´97 Royal Star. I am rather a small guy but sometimes I think that I would like a bigger and heavier bike. The amazing thing about this bike is that even though it looks like and actually is a big heavy bike it is surprisingly easy to handle. It was my second bike and the bike I had before was a Yamaha Virago 1100 - one of the easiest 1100cc bikes ever made in my eyes. I was a little doubtful if I could handle such a big bike as the Royal Star when I got it but to my surprise it was very easy. Of cause one has to show a little respect to the weight and power but once you get to know this bike you will realise that it handles like a dream and it can be leaned very far to the sides without any fear of tipping over, given you have the right speed and throttle technique. Just ask Lynn "Pegscraper" - his user name tells it all.

The seat hight is very low and comfortable and therefore it has a low center of gravity.

Wish you all the best with your bike - just ride it without any hesitation and you will love this bike.

From a mechanical or a what-can-go-wrong standpoint, the Royal Star is basically the same thing as the later RSVs and you can look it over just the same way. With only 17,000 miles, probably all you'll find is a mouse nest or dry rotted tires.

Amazingly this bike still weighs around 800 lbs. Not very much less than the RSV at all. Can lilsis handle a big and heavy bike?

I've been looking over the shop manual and that's pretty much the conclusion I've come to. Possibly the battery. I plan to ask about the steering and swing arm bearings. Even if it's a no, it shouldn't be a big deal. Not too far past due.

By the way, I still haven't scraped the boards. (I try to blame it on the leveling links but I doubt anybody's buying it.) She has marks on her V-Star foot boards. Hmmmmm. Besides, I think she's been lusting after something like this ever since I had her move my Venture while I was down for the bone graft. Once you get the bug...

Thanks for the comment, Lynn.

Wish you all the best with your bike - just ride it without any hesitation and you will love this bike.

I figure if she likes it when she gets on it, it's a done deal. Not that she's stubborn or anything, but, well, she's stubborn. Meant in the most loving, brotherly sense possible, of course. :)

Thanks for the comments. I'm sure by this time tomorrow we'll know.

Yes, I have wanted to grow up and have a 'big girls' bike for some time. And after getting on the Venture it confirmed I wanted one, but Bummer said I should try the RSTC because it has a smaller frame like my V-star or something like that. So that is what I'm gonna try for. He is my big brother so I guess I do listen to him sometimes. But don't tell him that.

AND I'M NOT STUBBORN!

Thanks everyone for the input and encouragement. I am a little nervous and excited at the same time.

Susan

AND I'M NOT STUBBORN!

Of course you're not. What was I thinking?

This is a pic of Lilsis and her Big Girl bike. All in all it's in very good condition. It'll be getting all new fluids, new tires, the foot boards put back where they belong, and some other tinkering, but no mouse nests. After two butt tests (I took it for a test ride) she decided to buy it. She got it for 800 under what he had it advertised for.

Hey, very nice. I like these red and white ones. I think you'll find that this bike makes your V Star feel like a moped. That's what my wife's V Star 1100 feels like to me.

So where did the floorboards move to that you are putting them back?

Hey, very nice. I like these red and white ones. I think you'll find that this bike makes your V Star feel like a moped. That's what my wife's V Star 1100 feels like to me.

Rides nice, though I could tell the frame's smaller than the Venture. I got on my Venture to come home and the ground was farther away.

So where did the floorboards move to that you are putting them back?

The PO had moved the footboards six inches forward. I have 'em back where they belong. He made two brackets, a stainless shift rod extension, and a longer brake hose. He also cut off about four inches of the hose between the reservoir and the rear master cylinder - that gets replaced tomorrow, then I'll vacuum out the system and bleed it.

There's a small jug of DOT 5 in the sack with the incidental parts. I have to call him and find out where he put the stuff. Once I find out where he put it I have to decide what to do about it.

The bike also has Jardine slash cut muffs on it. A little loud, though not real bad. She got the stockers and told me to put those back on.

Lil Sis looks like see's ready to ride.

See you both at Freebird's Maintenance Day...

She was itching. The floorboards were just too far forward for her. I figure she'll be over tomorrow. She works midnights - wonder how long it'll be before she can sleep. :) Gotta finish the rear brake first thing in the morning.

I'll be at Maintenance Day, I don't know if she will. I don't think she was planning it, but then she only had a V-Star 650. I can't help but think she'll be up for more distance now.

She was itching. The floorboards were just too far forward for her. I figure she'll be over tomorrow. She works midnights - wonder how long it'll be before she can sleep. :) Gotta finish the rear brake first thing in the morning.

I'll be at Maintenance Day, I don't know if she will. I don't think she was planning it, but then she only had a V-Star 650. I can't help but think she'll be up for more distance now.

You better get up early cause I get off work at 6a and am heading that way.

So it better be ready by 6:35a. It can be a bit later but I do need too try to get some

sleep since that didn't happen today.

And I don't know about overnight stays since Max and Shiloh wouldn't have a way

to get out to do their business. Time will tell.

You better get up early cause I get off work at 6a and am heading that way.

So it better be ready by 6:35a. It can be a bit later but I do need too try to get some

sleep since that didn't happen today.

And I don't know about overnight stays since Max and Shiloh wouldn't have a way

to get out to do their business. Time will tell.

I presume Max and Shiloh are critters?

I bribe a friend to let my dogs out when I take overnight bike trips.

I need to take some pics some day so you can post 'em. Max comes pretty close to doggie-trump.

What do you mean??? He's just a pup. 2y4m old tomorrow. he hasn't even bulked up much and he still has the knot on his head, so he's not done yet. He's ONLY 32" at the whithers, his chest is ONLY 48", his neck is ONLY 28", and he ONLY weighs 217#. I don't understand why you would say he's close to doggie-trump.

bummer,she looks good on it!! get her a set of venture handle bars and put them on, they''ll give her some more pull back and bring her hands in about 2". i put a set on my wife's v-star 1100 with 3" risers and made it a lot more comfortable on long runs. i know she'll love it, you can also lower it too if needed, barons has lowerinf links but i made my wife's out of 1 1/4"x 1/4" flat bar. takes about 15-20 minutes to change out.