IGNORED

vapor_kits dash board instrument?

It would be a nice solution, but I doubt that it would work, as there are too many connections like our mechanical speedo cable. The newer scoots are using electronic sensors to hook up things like the vapor to.

BUT, that being said, if anyone finds a way to makeit work please post here, I would love to see the updated solution.

Brian

Edited by friesman

As I understand things, the Venture's mechanical speedometer cable is not a problem and could be removed.

The Vapor unit has its own speedo sensor that counts the rotation of the front wheel with a fork mounted sensor and a hub mounted magnet.

If I made the switch, I would likely take the core of the old speedo cable out and leave the outer sheath in place.

Brian H.

Thats actually a pretty common swap for the SV, they even make an SV specific kit that comes with a new temp sensor and speedo sensor.

Any hall effect type sensor like the second gen's speedo sensor can be used for the swap, along with 4 small magnets.

The most common way we do it is to make a small bracket to mount to the front brake caliper and epoxy magnets inside the brake rotor rivets "assuming you can space them 90 degrees apart that way".

The rest could probably be done easy enough with some time, test light, solder and shrinkwrap.

This one should work, comes with hall effect sensor, temp sensor and a magnet kit. $129.95

http://www.trailtech.net/product8157.html

Can add this for warning lights $49.95

http://www.trailtech.net/022-PDA.html

Says it comes with 8 icons for the idiot lights but only 4 places for them, you could probably locate any additional ones you may want somewhere else....or modify the yamaha rhino dash kit with 6 lights to fit your needs. $99.95

http://www.trailtech.net/75-RH-01.html

Could probably find that stuff cheaper on ebay or something.

All the pix of the TrailTech units are at almost 2:1 scaling. The units are half the size shown!

From the owners manual pdf on their site on page 11 or so, it shows the actual size as 107.5mm x 59.5 mm.

I am wondering if my old eyes are good enough these days to read one of these from the pilot's seat to the XVZ1x dashboard!

I have printed some scaled down versions of pix of their Vapor unit and will try a mock up tonight on one of my bikes.

yes, it is cool. But then what would you do with all that space in that humongous dash? :yikes:

I printed out an image of the Vapor unit at 1:1 scaling with the real thing as per the dimensions shown in the manual. I cut it out and placed it on the dash of my bike.

I took this picture from about where the driver's head would be. (Maybe a bit low as I had to kill a reflection from a fluorescent over head.)

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad39/UxHamby/vehicles/bike3/ea612b9b.jpg

I was worried that the little thing would disappear on that big dash and that I'd be unable to read the digits with my 54 y.o. eyes.

Looks usable to me despite my misgivings.

Brian H.

Hmm, now you got me thinking. What if we removed the stock instruments, put in one of these units to the side, and on the other side a nice gps unit? All mounted flush, maybe some blinker, and/or indicator lights. Then run some gauges, if space permitting for engine functions, not covered by this unit. Hmmmmmm, gotta get the graph paper, and some pencils out. Would be kind of cool, to have done, I would think.

Ive been thinking bout this project for a couple years was wondering if I could adapt another motorcycle digital dash for these bikes.

Should'nt be too hard if the donor uses a similar setup, I've seen guys put gsxr gauges on the Sv a few times despite having some different systems. For instance the rpms read double actual rpms and a speedo healer had to be used because the gsxr used 8 magnets for the speedo pickup instead of 4 so without the healer it read half the speed.

The vmax gauges would be an obvious first choice for an alternative imo...granted its any smaller and cleaner.