IGNORED

Debating new pipes, need opinions...

My 97 RSTD has stock pipes that have been drilled out. Not something I would have done personally (was that way when I bought it), but it sounds great and has no signs of running lean or rich. I'm certain that I'm losing torque, but the bike runs great. Of the pipes I have researched, the Bubs set looks to be the way to go but now that I have gotten used to the deep growl that the bike presently has, I'm wondering if the Bubs will be too quiet. Has anyone been through my scenario before or have some advice to give?

Thanks

A can of worms here! What do you like? Do you like loud pipes or medium loud pipes? ARe you looking for sound or appearance? The Bub's are great for a lot of people and are highly recommended as are a number of other pipes. IF you like your current pipes sounds why change? You could also go with RK pipes for a lot less money. You can usually pick up a set of RK pipes for about $20 +shipping. You could leave the as is or drill them out to 3 different levels to the nosie level you like. You could also consider a set of 4-2-4 nasty boys from Barrons if you want completely different sound and look. Barron's has several nice pipes for the Venture/RSTD and they all look good and sound good. Check out other members bikes and their mufflers before deciding. I have the 4-2-4 Nasty boys and love em. They can be wrapped to quiten them down or remove the baffling for a window rattling time. Plus I like the look.

Here are what my 4-2-4's look like!

Thanks JB. I like loud pipes as long as it's a deep sound. They are perfect as far the sound is concerned the way they are. Just not sure how much performance I'm missing. One thing that I do notice on the bike is a considerable lack of low end grunt compared to my Harley. I'm assuming that's due in part to little or no back pressure from my pipes. Does anyone here have a video or sound clip of their bike with Bubs pipes on it?

By the way, those pipes look real good!

i have these pipes and have recommended them to several others on this site. you pick the baffle you want for the loudness you desire or run them w/o baffles (takes 3 minutes to install/remove) if you speak with them tell them Buz sent you to them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WILD-PIG-PIPES-SLIP-ON-MUFFLERS-FOR-HARLEY-DRESSERS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem414df58311QQitemZ280480809745QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

If you like loud, then maybe these would work. This is a used set for $425.00. You can get baffles also, from the manufacturer, to tame them down.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUMuOzL4El8]YouTube- Tailgunners on my RSV[/ame]

Thanks JB. I like loud pipes as long as it's a deep sound. They are perfect as far the sound is concerned the way they are. Just not sure how much performance I'm missing. One thing that I do notice on the bike is a considerable lack of low end grunt compared to my Harley. I'm assuming that's due in part to little or no back pressure from my pipes. Does anyone here have a video or sound clip of their bike with Bubs pipes on it?

By the way, those pipes look real good!

Ventures are 4s, twins will always have a bit more low end, and unless you have a Sportster, the engine is at least 1600cc, bigger engine gets more torque, and the Royal Stars engine hit peak HP right near the rev limiter (actually it may be after the rev limiter). You are never going to get the low end you have on the Harley. But to optimize, if you like your current pipes sound, take it to a shop and get it dyno'd and re-jetted.

Back in 06 when tested against a Road King the Royal Star HP was 76.8 @ 6000 rpm (pre 99 carb change I believe it was about 67hp)

Road King was 62.6 @ 5400 rpm.

Torque was 74.1 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm and RK was 66.9 lb-ft @ 3800 rpm.

But back at 2500 rpm the RK already had 65 lb-ft, while the RS had about 62 lb-ft. (and of course the pre 99 RS was probably a little less)

In other words, the RS needs to be up over 3000 rpm before you are in the power.

moose, your bike has a differant mounting for the mufflers than the venture. your hanger is vertical and venture is hortizonal. i think the venture mufflers are a little longer tha yours too. go to youtube.com and enter Tazmocycle and you can hear my '01 with bub exhaust pipes and sampson fishtails. enter royal star or venture and you can hear several others with differant mufflers on them. you can do a few things to your to get a little more pep out of it. you can rejet and open up the airbox, put in a dyna-tech 3000 ign box and up the rev limiter and up the timing or put v-max rear gears in about 11% lower gears, or put the 32 mm carbs off a venture or 05-present tds. the pipes and mufflers won't change the torque much.

My 97 RSTD has stock pipes that have been drilled out. Not something I would have done personally (was that way when I bought it), but it sounds great and has no signs of running lean or rich. I'm certain that I'm losing torque, but the bike runs great. Of the pipes I have researched, the Bubs set looks to be the way to go but now that I have gotten used to the deep growl that the bike presently has, I'm wondering if the Bubs will be too quiet. Has anyone been through my scenario before or have some advice to give?

Thanks

Moose,

You probably are not loosing torque. As said before these machines like high rev's. Wind it up and you will like the feel better. I have a '06 RSV and was surprised when I first rode it, I did not like the sluggish feeling and could not understand why it would not accelerate well in 5th on the highway. What I found reading this site, wind it up! My machine will rev out @ 40+/1st, 60+/2nd etc... Try it you will like it.

As for pipes, I have Bubs on mine with the glass burned out of them and it is loud. If you go with the RK pipes you will have to drill them out to get the loud sound that you seem to be looking for.

I had the Baron's 4-2-4 pipes on my bike for about (3) years - loved them, and more importantly the look of them. They have become somewhat loud - especially after an 8 - 10 hour ride - the navigator and others riding behind me sometimes complained.

With the recommendation from Buz, I just switched over to the Wild Pig pipes - the same as he has - and am slowly getting used to the look, but I and everyone else really like the sound of them. Seems they have a lower pitch rumble versus the 4-2-4's, and the folks in New York (ZZ Chops) were great to deal with.

Thanks naturbar. good sound. Is that with or without baffles.

that is with baffles in....you get to pick your choice of baffles when you order your pipes. they are really loud with baffles out and after a while on the road your hears start to hurt.

naturbar,

I really like the sound of your pipes.

Are they a direct bolt on or do you need the RK adapter brackets?

Are the baffles the standard 1 3/4 baffles?

Did you need to rejet?

Did you buy directly from Wild Pigs or Ebay?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Thanks, Dennis

Edited by 35ruger

Personally, I like the BUBs for the Royal Star TD and Venture, they sound good and nobody complains about how loud they are. I have some irritating neighbors and are quick to complain about anything. No complaints yet. Be careful on the noise levels. Some cities like Denver are banning anything outside of stock because some people, go way overboard with the stupid loud, and what its doing is making towns create ordinances against any after market exhaust. Myrtle Beach is another example.