I have the 89 VR apart for entire maint on the rear end. When I unbolt the 4 crown nuts on the rear gear case what am I to expect when I pull the driveshaft out of the swing arm? Like, will just the shaft come out or will the seal washer and circlip from the front come out as well ? A LOT OF HELP PLEASE !!!! :think::confused24:

No other surprises right? Is it difficult to put back in?

I just did mine.... first time I had ever done more than change the plugs and oil on my '86. I had the back wheel off for bearings and brakes. The 4 cap nuts come off and then you will likely find that there is a silicon seal on the square flange. Pull straight back about 1.5 inches and it will drop free. When putting it back in I took a flashlight and looked up the tube to get the idea of where the universal was positioned and it took me 2 tries to get the splines lined up and slipped in.

I put some silver silicon on the flange and some molly slip grease in the splines.

I did it you can do it too ! :big-grin-emoticon:

use some HI-moly grease on the spline to the u-joint. I found some caliper grease...has teflon, moly and graphite. Also on 1300's do NOT seperate the shaft from the drive unit unless it's leaking. Otherwise you have to buy a new shaft drive seal.

I got it all apart and all maint done and all back together with 0 extra screws bolts or anything left over!! Gonna put some new plugs and wires on for good measure. Can I make my own wires from the stock parts stuff at the auto parts store or should I just get a pre made set? Thanks everyone for all the advice, now that I know how to do it the right way it won't be bad the next time! :dancefool:

I got it all apart and all maint done and all back together with 0 extra screws bolts or anything left over!! Gonna put some new plugs and wires on for good measure. Can I make my own wires from the stock parts stuff at the auto parts store or should I just get a pre made set? Thanks everyone for all the advice, now that I know how to do it the right way it won't be bad the next time! :dancefool:

These wires have resistor caps on them. There is a nice set on E-Bay for 35 bucks with the right caps.