IGNORED

Front Suspension

bongobobny

What air pressure are you running in the front forks?? How much of a difference does it make?

Has anybody put progressive springs in their forks and if so what were the results?? Inquiring minds want to know. I'm thinking I want things a little stiffer in the front and am going to experiment with several different pressures. Gonna start at 10 psi and work from thetre..

What air pressure are you running in the front forks?? How much of a difference does it make?

Has anybody put progressive springs in their forks and if so what were the results?? Inquiring minds want to know. I'm thinking I want things a little stiffer in the front and am going to experiment with several different pressures. Gonna start at 10 psi and work from thetre..

Air pressure is quite relative,,,, not your relative, but maybe relative enough,,,,, so it all depends, in this case, on the air pressure on the bike,,,, and if that were me at times,,,progressive is an understatement!!!!!!

Rob,

You didn't say which of your Ventures you are speaking to, but the best thing you can do for either is replace the fork springs. And even though I reccomend a constant rate spring from either Race Tech or Sonic Springs, Progressives are certainly a good option. And the only reason you have air as part of your suspension is to set the preload or ride height of either the front or rear of your bike. In other words if you have something heavy on your suspension like a passenger or side hack, then you need to raise the suspension to provide more suspension travel....so you don't bottom either out. However air in a suspension does act like a progressive spring in that when you compress air, the more it wants to resist and push back.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Hi Bob... congratulations on the new trike, I’m sure it looks great!

If you’re inquiring about the fork pressure on your new scoot 10 psi will be too much. Maximum pressure is 7-8 psi. You’ll need a 0 – 15 gauge on a hand pump with a zero loss air chuck to do the job right, Progressive makes a nice pump. The other idea I like is the ‘Progressive Suspension Air Fork Balance Kit’, they’ll keep the pressure in forks balanced http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp;jsessionid=VFN5LLHK4G5JLLA0WTVSM4VMDK0NCIV0?store=Main&skuId=58318 I don’t have a pump but I have used one and found that 4psi felt pretty good in the front.

Edited by dragerman

Do not go over 7lbs in the front.

Up to you though. just my 2 cents worth.

Also, on the rake you will get way to much bounce in the front

If you make the more stiff. that is what I am betting from

trying different air pressures over the past year in the front.

Jeff

OK! Jeff, yours is the answer I was looking for. Charlie, Big Tom has a progressive pump and he says it's da bomb, and I'll be using it. Thanks for the link to the air lines as I have been looking for it. Rick, it is my '09 RSV with the steer lite rake.

Carl, well, errr, I guess...

Forgot to add, that your front tire now will never wear on the side's

BUT you will wear faster down the middle. what is now happening is

that your front tire only moves side to side on the pavement (scrapping effect)