IGNORED

Thought my charging system was dumping once again...

After all of the charging system woes I had over the last year I thought they were back after a 6 month hiatus. My Signal Dynamics idiot light starting to indicate (by color) that I was only charging in the 12v range and if I switched on my driving lights I was in the 11 range. Here we go again, or so I thought.... Today I pulled the seat and with my trusty DMM attached, I had 12.98 off, 13.82 at idle, 13.94 at 3000 rpm and with full accessories turned on had 13.56 at 3000 rpm and 13.48 at idle. Sooooooo, im gonna toss that idiot light and try and find a better meter. Im looking at the Kisan but the cost is putting me off. Maybe a Battery Bug will do. :smile5:

Yikes. Well I guess I'm okay with not spending the 20 bucks on one of those little lights (as I did question their reliability).

One thing that I have seen, and really like (and I don't know if you have seen or not) but a few of our members here have put the standard analog gauge in the dash by one of the speakers. Giving it a 'built in' type look. Ponch has a gauge or two setup like this (in addition to what he has replaced the cassette deck with) and I thought it was pretty slick. I think all that is needed for the install is a hole saw (of the appropriate size) and probably some silicon sealant or a descent gasket.

Just a thought. :happy34:

Let us know what you think of the "Bug" when you get it. I'm thinking about adding one on along with the digital meter I installed. Over kill? Maybe....but I'm still gun shy after all my electrical and charging problems I went through before I got mine working. It's just a kind of comforting to look down and see that everything is working.

Mike

Mike, where'd ya get that from???

This might not be exactly it but freezy has linked to these a few times:

http://cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/4231

If I could figure out a good place for it on my RSV I'd be all over it. can't beat it for 25 bucks either.

I have been considering doing it in the plastic piece on top of the tank, but I haven't been able to find a second one (for a price I was willing to pay) so that I could cut a hole in the one I have - just in case it doesn't work or I screw it up. And I am not sure I want to cut into the inner fairing just yet... those are quite pricey.

Hey Ruffy,

I got mine here.

http://www.digitalmeter.com/cgi-bin/webshop.cgi?config=ent-datel

I can't say if it's the same as the other link that LilBeaver had but they do look a lot alike.

It's a nice instrument. Great quality. And a bit higher price. No regrets on the purchase. Been a couple year now I think and it's been through rain, heat and below zero temps in winter storage. No problems.

Oh yeah......get the bezel mounting kit to. Comes with a rubber gasket and makes for a nice clean mount.

Mike

I bought the 1/10. Less distracting. It's like setting a multimeter for .100 and watching it ramp up and down for little changes in current. The 1/100 would be constantly flickering on the dash.

The 1/10 just ticks off the 10th and a nice steady reading.

They make an interesting point on the color choice on the web site. Bright blue does affect your night vision a bit. I have a LED indicator on the switch panel I built and it's getting changed out to an amber ASAP. Drives me nuts. It's always in the corner of my vision.

The red is easy to see except in bright sunlight. Don't bother me at all at night.

The pic is the switch panel. The LED don't look like much in the daytime but it's really intense at night. Got to go!

Mike

Hey Jeff,

I got this one and mounted it with 3m double side tape on top of the triple tree. It works great.

Stinger SVMR Car Audio Accessory Voltage Meter Display Readout

I don't ever want to go thru what I did sitting on the side of the road for 8 hrs. on the Cherohalla Parkway. And then having to replace all my electrical components,from the radio to the complete dash assembly.

Good luck

Craig

Hey Ruffy,

I got mine here.

http://www.digitalmeter.com/cgi-bin/webshop.cgi?config=ent-datel

I can't say if it's the same as the other link that LilBeaver had but they do look a lot alike.

It's a nice instrument. Great quality. And a bit higher price. No regrets on the purchase. Been a couple year now I think and it's been through rain, heat and below zero temps in winter storage. No problems.

Oh yeah......get the bezel mounting kit to. Comes with a rubber gasket and makes for a nice clean mount.

Mike

I do like that rubber gasket and housing they send with it. I think the end product would be a much cleaner looking install.

:thumbsup2:

buuuuut, 50 instead of 25 :confused24:

I guess that's what I get for being so cheap.

Went ahead and ordered the digital gauge that Mike recommended. Looked like its pretty sturdy. Sorry Craig, but I had already ordered the gauge but thanks for the link. You too Beav....

Between that and the Battery bug I should be covered. :smile5:

Hey Ruffy.......

Did ya see the hole cutter on their web site? Nice clean hole to fit! Only $285.00!

Maybe I should order it to go with the nice clean hole in my head...LOL:smile5:

Ruffy

I have a Battery Bug still in the package. Have you come up with a place to mount it ? I was thinking of putting it in the trunk ?

Keith

I havent received it yet. Once I see its size and how it looks then ill figure out a location for it. :smile5:

Went ahead and ordered the digital gauge that Mike recommended. Looked like its pretty sturdy...

I've been eyeing that one too. When you get it all installed, if you don't mind, I'd like to see a pic or two of where you ended up putting it. I've been holding off ordering because I'm not quite sure of where to put it. My thoughts were in plastic black cover in front of the fuel filler hole (there is the needed 1" of clearance there) or to the lower left of the speedometer, sort of where the 'select' and 'reset' buttons are, but on the left side. I'm just a little uneasy about cutting into that fairing.

Anyways, let us know!

Ruffy

I have a Battery Bug still in the package. Have you come up with a place to mount it ? I was thinking of putting it in the trunk ?

Keith

Just got the battery bug today. It looks fairly large for install on the dash. Ill play around with it tomorrow and see where it may fit without looking out of place.

I've been eyeing that one too. When you get it all installed, if you don't mind, I'd like to see a pic or two of where you ended up putting it. I've been holding off ordering because I'm not quite sure of where to put it. My thoughts were in plastic black cover in front of the fuel filler hole (there is the needed 1" of clearance there) or to the lower left of the speedometer, sort of where the 'select' and 'reset' buttons are, but on the left side. I'm just a little uneasy about cutting into that fairing.

Anyways, let us know!

Will do. Still havent received it yet. I may try and fabricate some kind of housing for it somewhere on the fairing. I too dont want to punch any holes in it.

Rick, just got the volt gauge Sat. Looking around the dash area I dont think mounting it where you said is a good idea. I dont think its flush enough. I was thinking of mounting it on the left side of the fairing just to the left of the speaker. Plenty of room inside and its not really in your face. The optional bezel should seat nicely there. I probably wont do anything to it this week. Got plenty of home chores to finish up first. Once the HID headlight gets here then ill go ahead and mount up everything. Still not too sure for a location for the Argus Battery bug. I may have to fabricate a mount for it. :smile5:

Rick, just got the volt gauge Sat. Looking around the dash area I dont think mounting it where you said is a good idea. I dont think its flush enough. I was thinking of mounting it on the left side of the fairing just to the left of the speaker. Plenty of room inside and its not really in your face. The optional bezel should seat nicely there. I probably wont do anything to it this week. Got plenty of home chores to finish up first. ...

Ah, good to know, thanks for the update. :thumbsup2:

Ruffy:

On my way home from work today I was thinking about where else to possibly mount that digital voltmeter and remembered seeing a post from SilvrT with some switches around the cruise toggle switch. It took me a while to find this, but I figured I'd let you know before you cut into that fairing.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31030

That would even give you some room for a temp sensor to match, some switches, or whatever.

Something like this looks like a winner to me [At least for the small digital one]. Now I just need to figure out where to get the materials... Maybe a trip to home depot will be in order when I get some free time in the next couple of weeks.

In terms of waterproofing the sensor - I suspect it will stay rather protected tucked away in there, and wrapped in some heat-shrink tubing or whatever would probably work just fine.

Only problem I see with that bracket is the way it blocks the riser bolts. Looks like the bracket would have to be dropped in order to access those bolts. I half thought of removing the cruise control button since I never use it anyway and mounting it in there. And I also have a personal metal man at my disposal too...LOL. Ill post something once I figure out a mounting place I can live with. :smile5:

Thanks Ruffy for the info. I think the Battery Bug will be perfect for me. I have been wanting to get something but did not know what to get. I found the Battery Bug listed on ebay from a 100% feedback seller for $45 under Make an Offer. icon14.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Battery-Bug-Motorcycles-GL1800-Harley-Goldwing-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19bbcc7b4fQQitemZ110524922703QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories