IGNORED

Wireless hub horror stories

Hummingbird

I had Time Warner take their hub out today and I installed my own. I've been putting this off for over a month because of the horror stories I've read about.

I bought an "inexpensive" Linksys hub ($30) and plugged it in, my laptop recognized it immediately and my Dell had to have the NetGear software reloaded.

The entire operation took about 10 minutes. :thumbsup:

All 3 puters are up and running at a $15 a month savings. :happy65:

Guest seuadr

there are horror stories?

hardest part i have when setting up a wireless hub is typing the WEP code right on both machines! :crackup:

you secure it with a password, or risk all your neighbors using your "connection"!!!:doh:

I didn't see a password , didn't see anything. I energized it and the puters found it. With a population of 1200 I don't think too many neighbors have a wireless puter.

I didn't see a password , didn't see anything. I energized it and the puters found it. With a population of 1200 I don't think too many neighbors have a wireless puter.

You better fix this ASAP, with out WEP running you are wide open. Someone can drive down the road and connect to your network, hack your puters and get all the good stuff and leave you with bad stuff. Not tryin to scare you but that is just how it is, it will only take once and you will wish you had done this.

You better fix this ASAP, with out WEP running you are wide open. Someone can drive down the road and connect to your network, hack your puters and get all the good stuff and leave you with bad stuff. Not tryin to scare you but that is just how it is, it will only take once and you will wish you had done this.

Don't be telling all the good stuff. There's at least two networks in my neighborhood that I can get into, no I don't going looking around their computers I feel that's like walking into someones house and looking around. I do have my own service and it's much more stable then the neighbors.

When I am in Florida in the wintertime I don't have a wireless service but there is several people I can get into there and surf the INTERNET for FREE.

I have been known to go into motel parking lots or lots of places that seem to not worry about their wireless hub. Most don't even know that can be done.

BOO

I didn't know hubs had security encryption. I use a cable modem and a Netgear wireless router...with encryption.

I haven't used a hub in ages, so I guess they have come a long way since then. In my computer shop, I would usually have 10-15 PCs hooked up at any one time with a hub.

I didn't know hubs had security encryption. I use a cable modem and a Netgear wireless router...with encryption.

I haven't used a hub in ages, so I guess they have come a long way since then. In my computer shop, I would usually have 10-15 PCs hooked up at any one time with a hub.

In his original post he said wireless hub horror stories, I am assuming he bought a wireless hub. But if it is a hard wired hub he is okay.