IGNORED

Automotive air filter on first gen question

I recall a post about someone had used a flat style automotive air filter on a first gen.

Does anyone know where that post would be, I can't locate it.

I would like to try shortening my air box enough to allow the installation of the CLASS control head in the tank cover.

I have a spare air box I could experiment with.

Gary

That might have been me Gary. A friend from the other site came up with an adaptor plate the laid flat on the lip inside of the airbox and then a flat auto filter was fitted to the hole in that.

That would probably work well for what you want to do.

Let me see if I can find the info I got from him and I'll get back to ya.

Mike

From what I have read this may actually reduce the amount of power because an optimal system will be tuned and have about 10 times the volume - i.e. 1 liter motor = a 10 liter airbox. Dunno what ours are but cutting it down is like you are going backwards.

I believe Moto GP bikes will have large airboxes for this reason. Making the airbox and filter smaller may also create eddies that get pulled through the venturies which can disturb the airflow down the throat of the carbs because you may be reducing the distance to where they be straightened out. I understand that K&Ns help reduce this with their design.

My point is, it may not be the greatest idea.

I am no engineer so take it as you will. And I can't argue with this due to the same.

Edited by GigaWhiskey

From what I have read this may actually reduce the amount of power because an optimal system will be tuned and have about 10 times the volume - i.e. 1 liter motor = a 10 liter airbox. Dunno what ours are but cutting it down is like you are going backwards.

I believe Moto GP bikes will have large airboxes for this reason. Making the airbox and filter smaller may also create eddies that get pulled through the venturies which can disturb the airflow down the throat of the carbs because you may be reducing the distance to where they be straightened out. I understand that K&Ns help reduce this with their design.

My point is, it may not be the greatest idea.

I am no engineer so take it as you will. And I can't argue with this due to the same.

I couldn't agree more. You'll loose much in Throttle Response and Torque on the low End if you shorten the overall Intake Lenght.

Individual Filters (like Stage7) work, but you'll need to have the whole System tuned to these. I'd keep my Fingers away from the VR Box and mount a complete Vmax Airbox instead(with the Butterfly on the Top), it's a bit larger from front to rear, but you would gain through this and with smaller Battery it's a snap and you'll probably have Room enough left for placing the TCI there.