IGNORED

What about trailer brakes?

Flyinfool

I know that there was an old thread with this same title But i am having no luck with the searching.

Anyways, my question is; has anyone tried to hook up electric brakes for the trailer behind the scoot?

I am thinking of building a trailer to be able to haul large lightweight items (specifically big Radio control model aircraft). Not much weight but a lot of volume. I am loking at a box size of about 96" long x 40" wide x 24" tall. Max cargo weight will be 100lbs Typical would be more like 50 lbs.

Every trailer that I ever pulled with a cage had electric trailer brakes, and I was wondering if anyone ever installed them on a scoot trailer?

My initial thought is that It would sure make a difference in a panic stop situation as well as save wear and tear on the bikes braking system.

I have heard of the rare instance when the elec. brakes locked up on a mc trailer and caused problems. BF Specialties.com (bunkhouse campers sells brakes for their campers.) I think Timeout and Aspen do also, all as an option. With the weight you will be pulling I wouldn't worry about brakes on the trailer. My trailer weights 180 lbs and loaded I have had it around 300 with no problems. Just give yourself a little more room for stopping and be aware of your surroundings.

The thing about electric brakes is that they are ON or OFF. That would make me nervous on wet or rough roads.

I'd rather go without myself.

I am very much still in the early research stage.

I learned a long time ago that you really want a progressive break controller and not a time delay type.

The progressive type controller applies the brakes in proportion to how hard you are hitting the brakes. Once adjusted correctly you will notice no difernce in stoping distance or brake peddle effort in any conditions.

It is the cheaper time delay type that are all or nothing.

There is now way I would even consider anything other than a good progressive controller for a bike.

I did look at the brake system from Bunkhouse campers. It is an electric/hydraulic system that can be adjusted for desired brake pressure, but appears to still be an all or nothing setup. Anytime your brake lights go on it nails the brakes at the preset level.

I am still hunting for a small enough system for a MC trailer.

I know someone that pulls a full size pop up camper with his wing. He has electric brakes on it.

I looked into it for my doggy motorcycle trailer. Bottom line was it adds huge expense and weight to the axle. When it was all said and done I decided to go without.

I think my trailer weighs 150-200 and I put in a 60 lb dog. Don't even notice it when stopping.

Ok , this my field , yes you can run elec. brakes on a M/C trailer , No elec brakes are not on off . If the bike brakes hard , the the trailer brakes hard , if the bike brakes soft trailer brakes soft , its in the brake controler . the biggest thing about elec. brakes is adjusting them to the load of your trailer , there is a gain control on the controler for turning them up or down .

To convert to elec. brakes you will need 2 backing plates , 2 brake drums hubs for your trailer , for the bike you need a good brake controler [ i like the Voyager ] and a 5 way plug

, the wiring on the brake controler is black wire to 12V pos , white wire 12v neg , blue wire to trailer plug than to trailer brakes , what is different on cages and bikes is on a cage you connect the red wire to the brake switch on a bike you connect the red wire to the wire going to the brake lites . if you need any thing just ask .

I am not a fan on surge brakes because of less adjustments but elec. disc brake are very nice but very pricy

Thom

I am very much still in the early research stage.

I learned a long time ago that you really want a progressive break controller and not a time delay type.

The progressive type controller applies the brakes in proportion to how hard you are hitting the brakes. Once adjusted correctly you will notice no difernce in stoping distance or brake peddle effort in any conditions.

It is the cheaper time delay type that are all or nothing.

There is now way I would even consider anything other than a good progressive controller for a bike.

I did look at the brake system from Bunkhouse campers. It is an electric/hydraulic system that can be adjusted for desired brake pressure, but appears to still be an all or nothing setup. Anytime your brake lights go on it nails the brakes at the preset level.

I am still hunting for a small enough system for a MC trailer.

Luckily , the time delay are just about off the market . only the discount stores sells them . but the elec. brakes for the trailer are easy , you can buy them form harbor freight or tractor supply .

I don't have trailer brakes now. I had the 1100 Honda Shadow Spirit wired so trailer brakes only came on when I pulled in on front brake. Used diodes to block power to trailer brakes when I used foot brake. I did not want the trailer to "pull" me straight when in a corner, or even come on in a corner. And since I never use the "front" brake while "in" a corner then I thought it was best if the trailer didn't brake either. I do my "braking" to slow down before the curve / corner.

Like some of the others I don't have trailer brakes anymore. Never had "sticking" problems, just didn't feel the need for them.

Never had any problems, just more things to keep maintenance on. :2cents:

Bryan

Edited by bryan52577

OOPS , just checked and harbor freight or tractor supply have the anymore but northen tool do's http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_trailers-trailer-parts+trailer-brakes+drum-brakes+4294944164

some reason edit is not working ?

these are good prices

http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=11207&eq=&Tp=

http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=3361HG&Tp=

• 3 weeks later...

OK, you all convinced me.

I will plan on putting brakes on this trailer.

Those that have had them seem to like them and those that have not had them say you just have to be conscious of your increased stopping distance.

That tells me that in an emergency situation I will/may not stop in time.

When I hook up my 6000lb camper with electric brakes to my truck, where I have a good progressive controller, I can actually stop faster in an emergency with the trailer than without it.

Thanks Thom for those links, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I have a start, I just bought the hitch for the bike.