IGNORED

stebel horn feedback on radio

Jercoupe

There is a huge archive of the stebel air horn but i did not see anyone having a problem i have encountered with feedback through my radio>

when the radio is on (or the cb) and the button is pressed there is a loud feed back through the speakers. So much so im afraid of blowing the speakers not to mention my ears if i have HS slected. I installed it according to the instructions that came with larrys bracket. The only difference is i put in a seperate acc relay first which will also control my future heated grips and driving lights so everything goes off with the key. This first relay is fired by the acc pigtail located under the seat. Perhaps I should have fired it from a tail light wire or something? I have heard no one else with this problem? You guys always have suggestions. thanks Jack in los osos ca:confused24:

There is a huge archive of the stebel air horn but i did not see anyone having a problem i have encountered with feedback through my radio>

when the radio is on (or the cb) and the button is pressed there is a loud feed back through the speakers. So much so im afraid of blowing the speakers not to mention my ears if i have HS slected. I installed it according to the instructions that came with larrys bracket. The only difference is i put in a seperate acc relay first which will also control my future heated grips and driving lights so everything goes off with the key. This first relay is fired by the acc pigtail located under the seat. Perhaps I should have fired it from a tail light wire or something? I have heard no one else with this problem? You guys always have suggestions. thanks Jack in los osos ca:confused24:

Thanks for the input Jack, haven't gotten mind yet, but it's the best air-horn going I think.

I ran a relay as described in the installation article located on this site. I placed the relay under the right side cover and powered it directly to the battery. I do not get any feed back through the speakers in any mode, Radio or CB! Just my 2 cents:2cents:.

Dog

I also sometime get feedback from my horn but only through the CB and never the radio or CD changer.:2132:

yea. i had feedback with the stock horn only on the cb. Now i have it on the speakers with my mp3 or radio on.

Doug in clovis thinks it may be comming right through my mic and to the system. This will be easy enough to check .. ill go ride and unplug my headset.. report to follow. jack in los osos ca

Check where the horn is getting it's power from and where the ground is.

I put my power and ground at the end of the battery cable where it attaches to the bike.

You might also think about putting a filter in it's power line.

Remember that the battery also acts as a filter capicator....sorta.... so the closer you make the connection, the less likley you will have problems.

You might also want to pull the horn appart and check the brushes and armature of the motor in there as you may also be getting carbon arcing...

ok. Here is the report on the stebel horn saga.. Took the bike out and ran it without the helmets pluged in and still have the feedback through the speakers. One thing i did discover is it is comming only through the cb and not the radio as previously thought ( I thought i turned off the cb but didnt!) :confused24: Now that i know its the cb I took off the ant and guess what no feeback at all. The horn works perfect. So next step was to run a ground wire direct from the battery to the base of the cb. Didnt work!

Then i just reached up and grabbed the little ball on the cb antenna and again the horn worked perfect without any feedback. So i now have a fix. I will just yell horn before i push the button and my wife can grab the little ball on the antenna!!! Simple!:happy65:

Btw if anyone can tell me how do do this while im alone or maybe has a different idea I'd sure like to hear from you?? Jack in los osos ca

you probably need to run a ground off the antenna. I wouldnt worry about it too much if it's only coming through the CB. It's not like you're driving around blaring the horn.

I did the seperate ground Ron to no avail. I agree with you about not blaring the horn but if i have my intercom on headset this feed back is loud enough to blow my ears off not to mention blowing my wife off the back?

jack

My thoughts as an Electronics Tech... Must be the compressor is radiating RF (radio frequency) energy around the same range as CB signals. What you need to do is make a faraday shield which is in essence a grounded metal box aound the compressor which blocks the Rf energy from reaching the antenna.

Just a reminder that the horn button works by grounding the horn circuit. Sounds to me like a bad ground but I have been wrong before. RF from the compressor is also possible. Good luck Rod

Rod!! You're one of them there darn geniousessssssss huh? :detective: I know a lot of guys told me its a possible ground but I wasnt considering the button ground instead looking at all the other grounds.. Guess i forgot the button goes to ground. I was about ready to just forget the airhorn and scream at the cars that needed my attention. Anyway, I bypassed the button all together and "wala" zero static on the cb while blaring the horn..

I took off the horn button hoping it just grounded itself to the handlebars but it doesnt. It has two wires so one must go to ground somewhere. Anybody know where it goes??? Thanks again for figuring that out Rod

Jack:cool10:

The horn saga has come to a end i hope. I found that the pink wire is the one that comes from the horn button so i took off all the cowling and looked carefully at all the connectors that had pink wires in them.. Not sure whick connecter was the culprit but after putting them all back together the horn works fine with no feedback through the cb. I just love electionics! .. Jack in los osos ca

I have had this happen with my stebel along with my stock horn. It seems to me it has more to do with the SWR on the CB antenna than anything. The higher the SWR the more feedback encountered according to my impromptu testing. The farther from the center channels the less feedback I encounter. Getting out to channels 7 and under and 35 to 40 I encounter no feedback through the CB. BTW I have my horn done through a relay connected directly to the batt.

Just my 2 cents.