IGNORED

Had a little bike problem following some harleys

Chaharly

The other day while riding my 85 back from work i noticed a group of about 15 harley's about to pull up to the same intersetion as me. If you're going to take a right turn on that intersection there is actually a lane that lets you go about 30mph through it. I was following them and i guess the whole group decided to kick her in the rear so i though, yeah, i'll catch up with these big boys!

Well i started taking off, and brought her about 6K RPMs and shifted into 2nd. Then up to third and as i was accelerating up the clutch slipped. We recently had the clutch cylinder fixed so i thought that it wouldn't do it anymore. Well in 3rd the bike jumped from about 3K to 6K without even accelorating. We have decided i need new clutch plates, but you know its always embarrasing to say you couldn't keep up with harley riders. :yikes:

Well, does anyone know how much it would take to buy some of those?

Just wonderin, because i hope their not expensive

CJ,

Your '85 is going to have individual springs, so you could just replace the springs it it with some Barnetts for about $30 I would hazard to guess. Pull the clutch pac apart and clean the steels as I'm sure they are glazed. If you have the means to sandblast the steels thats even better. Your friction discs will be fine, I have NEVER in all the Ventures I have done clutch upgrades to had a friction disc show wear that made it not to be within tolerance. There is a write up in the tech library and it's pretty easy to do.

CJ,

Your '85 is going to have individual springs, so you could just replace the springs it it with some Barnetts for about $30 I would hazard to guess. Pull the clutch pac apart and clean the steels as I'm sure they are glazed. If you have the means to sandblast the steels thats even better. Your friction discs will be fine, I have NEVER in all the Ventures I have done clutch upgrades to had a friction disc show wear that made it not to be within tolerance. There is a write up in the tech library and it's pretty easy to do.

i agree with squidley you can replace the springs and clean and sand the steel plates with 1000 grit wet dry paper. when i replaced my clutch with barnett fiber dics and pressure plate my old friction dics looked and were in spec. but since i had the new ones i just replaced it.

Your friction discs will be fine, I have NEVER in all the Ventures I have done clutch upgrades to had a friction disc show wear that made it not to be within tolerance.

I did the slipping clutches in my Venture and Virago, each around 50k miles, with the same results: the old friction discs showed absolutely no wear at all. Neither did anything else - steels, springs - all were right in spec, toward the safe end of the spec. In both cases I just installed new stock (Yamaha or EBC) friction discs and haven't had any slip since. That's 30k miles ago on the Venture and 80k ago on the Virago. I can't explain it, but it's true.

Jeremy

CJ,

I had the clutch cylander on top redone awhile ago, it helped temporarily but now the problems back