IGNORED

rear tire removal?

oldgoat

well im sure there is a link some where for this? but being not to good at the computer age. i have no idea where to look? so im going to ask the good pepole here..

im working on the venture doing tires rotor and brakes. well front tire came of nice. but. do you have to remove the back fender and the right muffler? it looks like the axle wont come out with out removing the muffler?:think:

Jim,

Yes you have to remove the right muffler to get the axle shaft out. It would be a good idea to take both mufflers off as it will be easier to get at the castle nut and cotter key on that left side...trust me on this one. You want all the room you can get to work easily on the scoot. If you have any issues give me a call and we'll guide you through it.

well im sure there is a link some where for this? but being not to good at the computer age. i have no idea where to look? so im going to ask the good pepole here..

im working on the venture doing tires rotor and brakes. well front tire came of nice. but. do you have to remove the back fender and the right muffler? it looks like the axle wont come out with out removing the muffler?:think:

Mufflers need to come off, but not the fender. Wait a minute, your profile doesn't say what bike you have. I don't know about them 1st gens.

There should be tire change info in the Tech library.

Later, Scooter Bob

well there off. the tires whew there are some good pepole here.

now time for the rotors? these look like allen type? but also doese anyone sugest loctite. when installing them? see i told you im going to try working on this beast. if i get frustrated i just walk away for a while. its snowing so cant ride anyways. also i heard something about moly grease the splines? and ok how do i empty or refill the rear end? any thing else i should know or do while the rear is off? grease the swing arm maybe if i can find where to do that. also real dirty and gunky there? from the records i have the tires where put on 2 years ago. but im going new never can be too safe. even though the old tires still have the tips on them. the bike sat on a flat for a year? rear one. so i bought dunlops. like the ones that are on it. as im sure thats the way to go? and then im sure i will be bugging ya again when the time comes for the brake pads and bleeding:innocent-emoticon: gee its fun to learn about these bikes/ oh i should say a 84 venture royal that could help

well there off. the tires whew there are some good pepole here.

now time for the rotors? these look like allen type? but also doese anyone sugest loctite. when installing them? see i told you im going to try working on this beast. if i get frustrated i just walk away for a while. its snowing so cant ride anyways. also i heard something about moly grease the splines? and ok how do i empty or refill the rear end? any thing else i should know or do while the rear is off? grease the swing arm maybe if i can find where to do that. also real dirty and gunky there? from the records i have the tires where put on 2 years ago. but im going new never can be too safe. even though the old tires still have the tips on them. the bike sat on a flat for a year? rear one. so i bought dunlops. like the ones that are on it. as im sure thats the way to go? and then im sure i will be bugging ya again when the time comes for the brake pads and bleeding:innocent-emoticon: gee its fun to learn about these bikes/ oh i should say a 84 venture royal that could help

First, Blue locktite on the rotor bolts, not Red.

Second, there should be a bolt at the bottom of the pumpkin for draining the rear end. Once drained, there should be a fill bolt about half way up the pumpkin. Replace the bottom drain nut, and fill until fluid reaches the opening of the fill bolt. Replace fill bolt and you are done. SAE 80W90 gear lube or the synthetic equivalent.

Lastly, you should not have to bleed the brakes after replacing pads. The hydraulics are never opened.

However, how long has it been since you changed out your brake/clutch fluid? If it's been more than a couple of years, it would be a good idea to do that also.

Good luck and let us now what help we can provide.

RR

so far so good i did get a call tonight on my cell from a member here and im sorry i didnt catch who it was. my little 7 year old niece tried to get it and deleted it from my phone. kids gotta love em.? anyways front tire is back on and mounted to the bike new pads installed as well. rear tire still off. i sprayed the heck out of the rear area with degreaser. lots of road gunk under there. thinking of a quick rattle can black spray while i can reach some of the area. i was shocked to see that there was no cotter key on the back axle:scared:. some one did what looked like the old safety wire on the front one. i use to to do that on dirtbikes. so im thinjking what the heck was the last owner thinking? plus either im blind or its small but i dont see an arrow on the back tire for the rotation. its a dunlop? ok ok could be the 5 beer sight adjustment why i can see it:innocent-emoticon: and the cute women who stopped by to see what we where up to? they brought the beer so with cold beer and hot women time to take a break. they left about a half hour ago. phone numbers and a next weekend meet gee life is getting good again.

flb the rotors where bad and when i bought the bike from the last owner he gave me all 3 rotors to replace. when im done with the repairs i will take pics and show what they look like the old ones. had some nasty groves in them. and i could push the rear brake way down before the bad boy would even start to think about slowing down.

maybe im just one of them parinoid pepole? but i figure if ya got them use them. so here is what i done so far

1 new tires

2 new brakepads

3 installing the rotors

4 draining rearend and refill

.5 bought the molly honda grease and going to check the splines?

6 a fresh oil change and filter

7.installed a new fresh gel battery have to do the resistor thing to stop the battery light in dash, but wire wasent there to start with?

8 anti freeze looks ok and still good.?

9 figure out why last owner installed a pull and push switch for the fan? its where the fron air should be by the key cover. so wheres the front air valve?

10 run the heck out of it to clean out the seafoam, then install new plugs.

and the most important thing keep cleaning the 2 bars for enough cash to make the payments.

ok bike is comming along took it out yesterday looks like im going to have to have the carbs done? i did put on 80 miles. and got the tank with the seafoam down to a 1/4 tank. she kind of kicks in and kicks out at 75 mph? im thinking fuel filter if i can find the son of a gun? also i got a front wobble? i think its the front at 60 mph but comes out of it when i slow down to 55mph then comes out of it again at 70mph. just before it acts up like with the kick in kick out thing. ok maybe 60 mph and gooseing it in 5th gear aint the way to go. at 60 in fith i give it gas and thats when she acts like shes going to quit. still backfires some when it idles and i let off the gas comming to a stop. these are the old plugs i followed a members advice and didnt install the new ones because the seafoam might be fouling the plugs. im going to run er again tomorrow then fresh gas about 1/4 more seafoam to the tank. and run it like i stole it. well untill it at least hits75 mph again. im thinking the bugs are starting to come out of this old girl. let me tell ya though even at 70 to 75 mph its a fun ride compared to the maxim 750cc. which is also a fun bike. but nothing like the roll on power the venture has.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi , i had a problem with my rear wheel and after seeking advise from the guys here i removed rear wheel and wrote a detailed account with photos and put it on myspace, Any other thing i do on my bike will be added as time goes by.

Dave ( UK )

http://www.myspace.com/yamahaventure

I have taken bike out for a run and the original noise has now gone.:thumbsup: