IGNORED

Rear tire on front with sidecar??

labill

I have a 2000 Venture. Just added a sidecar. Steers like a bear but do not want to change front sit up. My sidecar has its own brake so I can take it off easy for solo. Read some where that putting the same size rear tire on front will help with turning.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

labill

I have a car tire on the rear and put a Avon rear tire on the front. You right that it takes a little work in the twisties but once you get use to it its fine. You should have a little toein on the hack wheel.

Just takes the turns slow and it makes a big difference on how it handles. If the turn speed says 35 do it at 35.

I have around 12000 miles on my 2005 with the sidecar mounted.

Ps: keep the pressure up in the tires it helps.

I don't know if this holds for modern tyres, but the advice I have followed for twenty years is that when you put a rear tyre on the front, the orientation must be reversed. (This is clearly marked for 'universal tyres'.)

I have heard two strands of reasoning for this. One is simply that the working load of a back tyre is primarily driving the bike forward, whereas the front tyre will mainly be loaded when braking, so the tyres are used in opposite directions. The second is to do with the way the tyres belts are laid. The suggestion was that one way the ends would tie in, and in the other direction they would tend to unwind.

These days, I think you'd be unlucky if your tyre disintegrated, but that's tyre fitment advice on this side of the pond.

I put a rear Dunlap on my rig the first part of last year. I mounted it backwards. I rode the bike down to south Fl. and back 1400 miles on the interstate. When I got back I had a bad lump on the front tire. A belt had broken in the tire. I put on a Avon Venom on the front and mounted it in the direction on the tire. running it as if it would have been mounted on the rear. So far over 4000 miles and not a problem with the tire or how it handles in wet or dry conditions.

Just my 2 cents worth

Steve

I know a friend of mine did the rear tire up front on his Honda Goldwing trike and liked it but I have one question for you.

Why would you mount the tire backwards when on the front. The rotation of both tires are the same no matter where they are on the bike. Just wondering why you did that.

I have a 86 trike I did myself and drove it one year and I know what you mean by steering like a bear but I broke down and spent the $900+ for the re-racking from Canada and that was the best money I could have spent on the bike. Now you can steer it with just your little fingers on the bars.

Good luck

LAter:mo money:

bikenut

The first one I put on I was following suggestion from some prople and reversed the direction. It didn't work for my bike. The one I have on now is running in the driection on the sidewall the same as if it were on the rear. No problems with it yet.

I did ad risers on my handlebars and that helped with the steering a lot. I was thinking about racking the front end but its not that hard to steer and if the hack ever came off the rack would have to be changed back.

There were some reasons listed to reverse the tire direction to do with the water shed off from the tire and others.

Just giving my opinion for what happened when I did it. Broken belt in 1400 miles.

Thanks Steve for the repy.

I understand about other making Comments on what to do. Been there myself.

I also Understand about the Racking for you would not work if you ever plan to ride without the side car.

I was just wondering. We all can learn things every day.

Ride Safe

Later

Bikenut