IGNORED

Is this bad? Fork covers dented...

FutureVentures

Finally put the polished fork deflectors on the bike the other day, thanks Ruffy! They look(ed) great.

Took the bike out for a ride around the block or two for the first time of the year, to see how things were running. Kept hearing a metallic rattle/clang when I hit larger bumps, particularly going over curb to/from driveway. I determined it was the fork deflectors banging against my chrome front fender rail.

Upon further inspection, I noticed what you see in the photo, the lower part of the fork cover is dented, from bottoming out on the fender rail attachment point.

Sooo, I quickly removed the fork deflectors, a bit scratched now! :(

I then purchased a progressive air pump and took forks from 0 to 5 lbs each. I haven't put the fork deflectors back on yet.

My bike is lowered (forks raised) about 1 1/4", which raises the fork into the fork covers by that much. Guessing that's what caused this? Soooo, I'm thinking I might want to raise it a bit, to maybe 3/4" total.

Also attached a photo with the "new" seat (thanks Godlover).

Thoughts anyone?

Rode in today, beautiful day, no problems.

Finally put the polished fork deflectors on the bike the other day, thanks Ruffy! They look(ed) great.

Took the bike out for a ride around the block or two for the first time of the year, to see how things were running. Kept hearing a metallic rattle/clang when I hit larger bumps, particularly going over curb to/from driveway. I determined it was the fork deflectors banging against my chrome front fender rail.

Upon further inspection, I noticed what you see in the photo, the lower part of the fork cover is dented, from bottoming out on the fender rail attachment point.

I then purchased a progressive air pump and took forks from 0 to 5 lbs each. I haven't put the fork deflectors back on yet.

My bike is lowered (forks raised) about 1 1/4", which raises the fork into the fork covers by that much. Guessing that's what caused this? Soooo, I'm thinking I might want to raise it a bit, to maybe 3/4" total.

Thoughts anyone?

Erich, im guessing that lowered fork caused most of your problems. The deflectors have been designed to clear the lower bolts on the fender rails. The holes on top are also elongated to space them wider for better wind deflection and more clearance. The earlier RSV's had the bolt heads sticking out while later ones had a recessed bolt head. I always ran at least 5 lbs pressure in my forks and still bottomed out on that bolt when going over larger bumps, which caused my old, stock clear ones to chip at that point. Lowered forks with no air in them could have caused that problem. How bad are those scratches and are they on the front or rear of the deflectors?

Here's a link to a photo of the one on the riders right, it's the worst.

Seems the one on the right sits closer than the one on the left.

http://gallery.me.com/eslrichey/100012/Scratched%20Deflector

it's not terrible, I can live with it. I'm just nervous about reinstalling.

I'll reinstall and take some photos to show ya. I'm sure it's my fault btw so, I'm not blaming the deflectors.

Thoughts anyo

Ouch, that hurts. And sexyy bike man!