IGNORED

Stalls (wants to) under immediate acceleration

I just bought my uncles 96 royal star with only 4300 miles on the ticker...

A few months ago it would not run and leaked gas by the carbs, and he had it to the local dealership for "bend ya over" carb servicing.

I took possession of it this weekend, and warms up fine, and idles fine, but when you crack the throttle it bogs... When accelerating from a dead-stop it bogs and I have to rev it and ride the clutch to keep it from stalling out. After that the initial low rpms it kicks in and accelerates fine, but still feels weak (though I have never ridden a Royal Star.)

I really do not want to trouble shoot everything, and would like to get to the heart of the matter. So, based on my description would anyone have a good idea what it may be, and to remedy it?

Thanks!

Not knowing your riding experience, I would tell you if you are used to a v-twin, this is not one! It likes to "rev"!!!:thumbsup:

First off, put a whole can of Seafoam in a tank of fresh gas then take it out and ride it like you stole it! The rev limiter will catch you around 45 in 1st, 66 in 2nd, 96 in third and you are on your own in 4th and 5th. Don't even think about any acceleration below 75 in 5th. Some folks won't even shift these bikes into 5th below 65. After you run that tank through it put 1/2 can of Seafoam in the next two tanks full. Oh BTW don't use anything other than regular grade gas in this bike.

Guest human4m

I really do not want to trouble shoot everything, and would like to get to the heart of the matter. So, based on my description would anyone have a good idea what it may be, and to remedy it?

Thanks!

We'd all love to have ESP and just KNOW what is wrong when our scoot acts up, but the truth of the matter is, you HAVE to do the troubleshooting. :stickpoke:

There are unanswerd questions: Does it STILL leak gas? The SeaFoam is a good idea, especially in the event that the carbs are gummed up. Go ahead and replace your fuel filter; it's simple, just kind of a pain to get to, it's cheap, and you're gonna have to do it eventually. Make sure the gas is flowing freely from the petcock, and listen for the fuel pump when you key up. Check/replace your air filter. A mouse living in there isn't so uncommon, and I'm sure he'd like to relocate his home, rather than get his fur sucked off by the Mikunis.

Meeting up with another VR member who has the stuff to synch the carbs is always a good idea too.

Oh, and I agree with the recommendation to ride it like you stole it. Sometimes that can clear up the gremlins.

If it's a true "Bog" it's to much air or not enough fuel. Check all your fitting around the air intake. If thats all good get with a local member and let the ride it to see if it's a bog or just lugging the motor.

You will find more help here than at any dealer in the world! :happy34:

Since you said that you took it to the dealer for Carb service, I would NOT run seafoam through it just yet.

Things that I would do next would be: Replace fuel filter, carb sync, check/clean air filters. Then if it still bogs down under heavy acceleration (and you are not lugging the engine, of course) then I'd go back to the dealer and let them know that you either need some cash back or they need to do the job correctly. Depending on how that goes, seafoam or BG44k (to finish cleaning the carbs) might not be a bad idea.

EDIT: This following statement (in square brackets) ought to be ignored - I did not read wes0778's tag line correctly to see that he has an 98 RSTC so is obviously a much better source than me when it comes to the rev limiter/speed per gear. I would delete it, but it has been quoted in another post..

[by the way, since you have a 96 Royal Star, I am pretty sure that you rev limiter is a bit lower than on the RSVs or at least the smaller carbs on the 96 Royal stars make them a little 'slower' than the RSVs and newer RSTDs - so you might not hit 45 in 1st, 66 in 2nd and 94 in 3rd, but I imagine you ought to be able to get up there at least.]

Good luck - hopefully it is something simple.

Edited by LilBeaver
I have been corrected.

By the way, since you have a 96 Royal Star, I am pretty sure that you rev limiter is a bit lower than on the RSVs or at least the smaller carbs on the 96 Royal stars make them a little 'slower' than the RSVs and newer RSTDs - so you might not hit 45 in 1st, 66 in 2nd and 94 in 3rd, but I imagine (pegscraper is the one to ask on this to know for sure) you ought to be able to get up there at least.

Good luck - hopefully it is something simple.

Unless the '96s are different from the '98s those are the speeds I get with my '98 RSTCII.

Fuel and air filter (it only has one, under the tank) might not be a bad idea anyway, but since it does well, as he says, at higher RPMs then I suspect it is getting sufficient fuel and air. Mine runs great, but if you try WOT even in 1st gear below 5mph with the clutch fully engaged it will give you a "Do WHAT???" moment and then you better hang on!!!

Edited by wes0778

WOW! I can't believe the responses! THANK YOU!!!

Just after I posted this thread I ran seafoam in the tank, and took a nice hour ride and kept the rpm's high. It did a LOT of popping & backfiring! I ran it from Jacksonville down to St. Augustine (Florida) and by the time I got to St. Aug it ran much better and accelerated from a dead stop very well. No sputter on immediate acceleration.

It sat while a friend of mine ate lunch, got back on 45 minutes later and same issue, wanted to sputter but after a few minutes started running better.

Hopefully after a few more runs it'll get better.

I'm also going to run it by the dealer and tell him it's not running good and maybe they'll trouble-shoot it w/o charging me since it's had $500 carb jobs done there TWICE.

Oh, as far as my riding experience, I've been riding since I was 10 (I'm 39 now), my current steed other than the RS is an 08 Triumph Daytona 675. I've owned in the past the RS Warrior, two Suzuki M109R's, and about every sportbike known to man. I rode motocross for a few years, and currently do trackdays (roadracing).

But boy was I spoiled with FUEL INJECTION:crying:

Would it be worth the money to put bigger carbs (32mm) on it? And is that a bolt-on and go deal?

Would it be worth the money to put bigger carbs (32mm) on it? And is that a bolt-on and go deal?

Not even close to being a bolt and go job! :crying:

I requires machine work and custom made adapters.

I don't have the link but maybe Pegscraper will chime in.

If it were me, I'd hound the stealership that billed you $500.00 (as REWORK!!!) until they got it right, or ask for a refund! It might be as simple as a carb sync. If you could meet up with one of the members close to you who has a Carb Tune or equivalent, they could check it for you and make the adjustments, if you don't feel like fighting with the Stealer.

It sounds like SeaFoam will cure your Problems. Most likely the tiny Piolot Fuel Jets are clogged and you'll only clean them when you use suck a Lot of Fuel through the Carbs. Ride it like you stole it. Don't shift higher than 3rd Gear with the 2Gen, doing curvy Back Roads with lots of Accel and Decel (creating different Conditions in the Floater Bowls) helps also, with your History, you know what i mean ...

With the Bike running on SeaFoam, expect the Possiblity of the Plugs to be gone. Again, running the Bike on the hot Side may avoid this.

Where abouts in Florida are you?

If close to Daytona area I have tools to synch the carbs.

I'm in Jacksonville, and trying to take a ride to Daytona to J&P's next to Rossmeyer's...

What's your schedule day-to-day?

Thank you for the offer!:thumbsup:

Monday to Friday: Work 7am to 6PM, if I am lucky.

Saturday's and Sunday's open if I am not riding

There are a couple of members in the J'ville area that may be able to hel, but not sure if they have original Royal Star experience or not ot carb synch equipment.

I will be happy to help if you are in the area or if we can meet someplace.

Sounds like the Seafoam may be a good bet, also if the shop just did the carb overhaul they should have synched the carbs when they put them back on.

It does sound like too much air for the amount of fuel.

If you are in the Daytona area stop by Fun Machines on US1, the service manager is very good see if you can talk with him. Their service dept did the carbs on my 98 a few years back after 2 two other shops goofed them up. When they got done the bike ran as good or better than new.

Monday to Friday: Work 7am to 6PM, if I am lucky.

Saturday's and Sunday's open if I am not riding

There are a couple of members in the J'ville area that may be able to hel, but not sure if they have original Royal Star experience or not ot carb synch equipment.

I will be happy to help if you are in the area or if we can meet someplace.

Sounds like the Seafoam may be a good bet, also if the shop just did the carb overhaul they should have synched the carbs when they put them back on.

It does sound like too much air for the amount of fuel.

If you are in the Daytona area stop by Fun Machines on US1, the service manager is very good see if you can talk with him. Their service dept did the carbs on my 98 a few years back after 2 two other shops goofed them up. When they got done the bike ran as good or better than new.

Thank you Steve!

I may be going to Daytona Wednesday, but driving my lifted F150 to possibly trade for a Customized Harley Sportster.