Finished the clutch today and it went well, but I noticed while cleaning up that below the clutches and to the right there is a gear in there that is white and looks to be plastic. Now I know I could have checked it with a magnet to see but didn,t think of it until I closed it all back up and torqued it. Any one know for sure or notice it also. Don,t think it is plastic but why would it be white.

Finished the clutch today and it went well, but I noticed while cleaning up that below the clutches and to the right there is a gear in there that is white and looks to be plastic. Now I know I could have checked it with a magnet to see but didn,t think of it until I closed it all back up and torqued it. Any one know for sure or notice it also. Don,t think it is plastic but why would it be white.

I'll "Venture" a guess and say it is a nylon gear and that's why it's white.

I know of the gear your talking about, and it does indeed look plastic. I am trying to think of what it might be to, but can't think of it right now. I looked in the Yamaha parts catalog and I dont see it there either....Hmmmm

:scratchchin:

Looking at the parts view further the only "Guess" I have is actually part of the Oil Pump as unlikely as that seems.

Edited by Squidley

Now I,m kicking myself for not putting the magnet on it. If I think about it to much I,ll be back in the garage tomorrow pulling the cover and checking it. Not sure why it bothers me not knowing if it is plastic or not but it does, darn it.:detective:

Now I,m kicking myself for not putting the magnet on it. If I think about it to much I,ll be back in the garage tomorrow pulling the cover and checking it. Not sure why it bothers me not knowing if it is plastic or not but it does, darn it.:detective:

I wouldn't worry about it, I have never seen or heard of one of them breaking. Trust me, if your cover didn't leak when you put it back together....DONT TAKE IT BACK OFF because it will damn sure leak when you reinstall it

:whistling:

Brad, your right, I,ll leave it alone or probably be looking for a new gasket. First the clutch plates aren,t indexed as per the manual (changed that by the way) and then they put a white gear in the bike. They are trying to drive me crazy, I know it.:doh:

• 2 weeks later...

The "little white gear" indeed drives the oil pump, there is no load on this gear to speak of, (definitely NOT like a transmission gear) and the material that gear is made from is called Phenolic, cousin to Kevlar, you would be hard pressed to break that gear unless the oil pump sucked a Raccoon into the pick up. There is no need to remove the clutch cover.

Call it a job "well done".:thumbsup2:

Earl