IGNORED

No more whine !!!

fritzman68

Well spring FINALLY arrived here in Michigan. 50+ degrees , so its time for the FIRST ride of the season. "HAD" the screemin whines all last season, found this web site by chance, read that some of you FINE FOLKS did too! So I read all your suggestions, and ACTED ON THEM. I took my '07RSTD to The Owosso Yamaha dealer, they installed a new "I' basket in Dec. under warranty and delivered her back sometime after new year. Then I installed MOBIL 1 fully synthetic oil and waited till the new season. Took her out today, hoping for the best. To my JOY, NO WHINE, at ANY speed, she even shifts smoother. Thank you so much, all the members of VR.org who post helpful hints to a better ride. Im glad to be a member and visit almost daily.

Dealer called me today and Yamaha has agreed to install the I basket. Parts are in the mail. Will let you know if the whine goes away. If not, I will just turn up the volume on Pasty Cline.:dancefool::900[1]::dancefool:

Just a reminder to inspect the basket yourself to ensure it is, in fact, an I basket so ya don't wind up in the situation I did.

My clutch basket was replaced years ago. I get some wine from it sometimes, nothing bad. I had a friend replace my clutch and go to the Barnette plate a couple of weeks ago.

On first long trip, coming home back roads just before dark yesterday, I heard the pitch go way up and loud. After a few seconds of thoughts passing through my mind, waiting for it to all come undone,,,,,, if dawned on me. I was going through a swamp area of the Edisto river. IT WAS THE HIGH PITCH DROAN OF A MILLION FROGS ALONG THE ROAD !!!!

Really.

OK, how do I do that?:confused24:

Look at the back side of the basket... you will clearly see an " I " stamped on it. Here is a pic of mine showing a " G " ...

[ATTACH]42644[/ATTACH]

This is the basket the dealer installed...was supposed to be an " I " but they just stuck this G basket in. Then I checked it and made them bring a proper I basket in. They said that somehow the part numbers got fouled up. yeahsureright!

The G basket never made any difference but once I got the I basket, the whine is almost gone... at least to the point that it is hardly noticeable and it no longer is bothersome.

Do you ever wonder why Yamaha doesn't just install the I basket at the factory? I don't get it.....

The reason is twofold....

Firstly, not all the "standard" baskets whine.

Secondly, not all the I baskets DON'T whine.

No performance improvement- some cases it will be eliminated

in my case and most others the annoying noise is moved to

a different rpm range, that I try to stay out of. you get the hang

of it after a while. it really helps to have a tach on the bike.

Jeff

:dancefool:Picked my bike up from the shop last nite after they installed the "I" basket,OMG did it make a difference. There is NO MORE WHINE. Yamaha even paid for it. What a pleasure it was riding it home and being able to here the engine and the exhaust. I'm sure glad I did it.

Steve, dont wanna burst your bubble . but I want you to come back

and tell us that the whine is still gone after 2 months of riding after

the new gear wears in a bit. it will never be as bad as it was before.

but I myself would like to know if yours comes back. I have had

2 (I) baskets in my bike.

Jeff

I had the I basket installed at 16,000 miles and it took the whine completely away. No whine at any speed. I now have 48,000 miles on my bike and a little bit of the whine has come back. I don't notice it until 4th and 5th gear at 50 to 60 mph. It's fine now but I am concerned that it may get louder.

The tech that put the I basket in said when he rode the bike it was really quiet, but was not sure if it might come back a little with miles. I'll just have to ride and see what happens. Anyway right now it sure is a pleasure to ride. If it comes back maybe it won't be as loud. I will stay in touch.