IGNORED

this'll appeal to two groups of our members...

Guest Swifty

1. those who are riding through Michigan after a long day on the road and need to ease some of their pain

2. those who have lost their jobs in the recent economic downturn...(perhaps Squid will find a way to get back to Michigan yet) :happy34:

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/newsfeatures/article/770422--marijuana-school-prescription-for-a-higher-education

Good Ole Michigan, will let you do about anything if they can tax it. If our Governor grants 3 people permission to grow medical marijuana it will somehow create 15,000 new jobs. 15% unemployment are only the people still drawing unemployment. Doesn't matter if you have a job or not, if you are off unemployment you don't count. Couple weeks ago on the news they reported that Flint is close to 45% unemployed in the real world.

Got to move South, Got to move South, Got to move South. I'm coming Alabama.

Good Ole Michigan, will let you do about anything if they can tax it. If our Governor grants 3 people permission to grow medical marijuana it will somehow create 15,000 new jobs. 15% unemployment are only the people still drawing unemployment. Doesn't matter if you have a job or not, if you are off unemployment you don't count. Couple weeks ago on the news they reported that Flint is close to 45% unemployed in the real world.

Got to move South, Got to move South, Got to move South. I'm coming Alabama.

I was unemployed for 7 1/2 months after 27 years of steady work in the tool & die/mold trades. The shop that I am working at now is the three D's of the trade. Dark, Dirty and Depressing. The ONLY reason they survived AND made a profit last year is because they are minority owned. Owned by the Indians (dot not how) and get preferential treatment from the auto companies. Especially GM. I worked for 5 weeks in Arizona during that time off from Feb-March of last year. I fell in love with the area. If I loose this job....the house goes up for sale for what I can get out of it and I will be gone. It is really rough up here and the shops that are left are really low balling the wages. I make 45% less now than what I did at my last job......45% less. That's a tough pill to swallow.

Ive been trying to keep a positive attitude all winter even tho, all us supervisors were asked for our credit cards and phones this fall when we were layed off. First time ever that has happened even tho we get layed off for a couple months every winter. Well of course theres been lots of rumers all winter and were all a lil nervous, so I thought Id get the boss (owner) off to the side and talk to him. Mainly I said if ya know anything please let me know - I dont wanna be the last guy out there this spring looking for work. He told me that-- If I was you, Id be looking then. This was day before yesterday. Actually hit me kinda hard cuz I thought Id be ok. He always said that I was one of the base crew. That Id have a job till the doors were closed.

Now Pam and I are trying to figure out what were gonna do. Ive been looking for jobs anywhere. And Im keeping a open mind, and doing alot of praying. But We 2, are out of here first chance we can. Anyone wanna buy a house??

Hazen,

All the best of luck my friend, I will tell you 1 thing, this job market, if you can call it that is brutal. I am as discouraged as I have even been in my life looking for a job. Michigan is turning into a wasteland and I feel badly for all my friends and family that are stuck there. Good luck in your quest, I'll chat with the life giver for you folks.

I was in the construction trades in the late 70s (boom) and early 80s (bust). In 1984 I took a job for a mere 75 cents more than I made in 1974! It was the best move I ever made. It took some years, but in the end, it paid off magnificently. Don't get discouraged and don't make a decision based solely on wages. Believe me, once you lose everything you'll find out you can get by on WAY less than you were used to. Use the government retraining programs, take some college courses, and remain positive! This stuff seems to happen every 25 years so remember the rollercoaster rules: keep your hands and feet inside the car and don't get out until the ride is over. :fingers-crossed-emo

Unemployment is pretty high here in Wisconsin too. I have been out of work for over a year and collecting unemployment. At this point, after really learning how to severely cut costs, Scooter and I have learned how to live more reserved than ever. I finally had an interview for a "part time" position at a local bank but this position has no benefits but there are some opportunities for advancement with training that they are willing to pay for.

The one thing that bothers me the most (and I don't begrudge those of you doing this) is the fact that I was one of approx. 75 people laid off after 12 years on the job and cross trained nearly everywhere in the plant. Now that their business is getting somewhat better, they have brought in temps through a temp service to work. These guys get no benefits either so that they are eligible for state health insurance and (probably) are not contributing to a 401k or future retirement plans. The state health insurance plan maxed out in November and they were not taking any more applicants. Yeah, the business is turning a minor profit now, but at whose cost...the tax payers. "The rich get richer" quote comes to mind here.

Enough babble though, I can only hope that 2010 is better than 2009 and pray for guidance from above that when one door closes, another opens. Without God and Scooter Bob in my life, the situation would have seemed helpless. Best luck to all of you who are out of work and seeking meaningful employment.

Karen