IGNORED

half helmet Microphone options. CB only and Intercom

KiteSquid

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/244_Headset/26740_IMC_Gold_Wing_Helmetless_OR_Half_Helmet/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Felectronics%2F244_goldwing_Headset%2Fdes%2F

I use this one from www.wingstuff.com It's called the IMC GoldWing Helmetless. It works awesome in the garage, but since I just bought it and live in Michigan, I haven't road tested it yet. However the reviews are good and the quality is good, so I expect the road test to be good as well. Very good sound, and inexpensive. Also very good turn around time, ordered on a Friday and recieved on a Thursday the following week. I think I spent about 82.00 for 1 set with shipping.

Big Mike

Anybody wore these for a long period of time (Like all day) yet?

Seems from the reviews...

"First for the price I recommend, the wind problem in mic was solved by installing mic on/off switch from air rider plugged right in-line. Next problem was headband murdered the ears after a couple hours especially with sunglasses, went to the optional goggles strap that helped but by day 3 ears really hurting. Finally tied to helmet staps to take pressure off and that worked really well"

"Who ever designed these headsets has not worn them for more than an hour. They don't stay on ears well, and begin pressing your ear lobe to the point of pain. I have learned to bend the heck out of them, then went a step further and glued a 1 inch thickness of foam to the ear pieces and now they are comfortable (sort of)."

"just got the headset on thursday 8/20/09, took a five hour ride ,the sound it top, my wife said the mic was clear. for those who are having a problem with the wind muting the radio, try adjusting the ic mute level to around 10 or 11 this really works. if you adjust the ic volume to around 14 or so this really helps also. i agree the cord is too heavy and causes my left to hurt so i put a clip on the cord and clip it to my vest to take the pressure off my ear. this is the only real gripe i have. thus the 3 stars"

I know some of you guys have them...what do you say

Here in Virginia it is illegal to use a headphone on both ears......

Is there a boom mike without the earphones for use with a CB???

I use the j&m headset the speakers are detachable and you just switch the control on the bike from headset to speaker. the mike still works w/o the speakers but the sound comes throught the bike speakers. when you want to use the ear speakers just plug them back into the helmet unit. and switch your bike control switch to headset.

I also have a scala rider set the speaker is a single speaker the size of a quarter which has a velcro back that will stick to the liner anywhere in your helmet. I stick mine just around the temple area. The only thing with the scala is it operates on blue tooth. great for cell phones gps and 2 or 4 rider comunication, but unless the bike is blue tooth ready or you instal a dongle, it wont work with the cb radio or on board intercom.

Edited by saddlebum

Anybody wore these for a long period of time (Like all day) yet?

Seems from the reviews...

"First for the price I recommend, the wind problem in mic was solved by installing mic on/off switch from air rider plugged right in-line. Next problem was headband murdered the ears after a couple hours especially with sunglasses, went to the optional goggles strap that helped but by day 3 ears really hurting. Finally tied to helmet staps to take pressure off and that worked really well"

"Who ever designed these headsets has not worn them for more than an hour. They don't stay on ears well, and begin pressing your ear lobe to the point of pain. I have learned to bend the heck out of them, then went a step further and glued a 1 inch thickness of foam to the ear pieces and now they are comfortable (sort of)."

"just got the headset on thursday 8/20/09, took a five hour ride ,the sound it top, my wife said the mic was clear. for those who are having a problem with the wind muting the radio, try adjusting the ic mute level to around 10 or 11 this really works. if you adjust the ic volume to around 14 or so this really helps also. i agree the cord is too heavy and causes my left to hurt so i put a clip on the cord and clip it to my vest to take the pressure off my ear. this is the only real gripe i have. thus the 3 stars"

I know some of you guys have them...what do you say

Ya , i know what you mean , i don't like them , they move around with out a helmet and when i try to use it with my shorty it really kills my ears , i would like have something like the Nascar crew chiefs use .

Here is the one I use from J&M. http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM%2DHS%2DICD284%2DHHU very easy to take in and out for when the wife isn't riding or I just want to use the speakers. A lot more comfortable than the IMC IMHO.

Jay

This is the unit I use also. The only problem that I have with it is that I'm more than slightly hard of hearing and I have to have the volume up a little higher than my wife's. One up is no problem because there is enough air between the headset and ear that you can hear the radio as well as what's going on around you.

• 3 months later...
I use the j&m headset the speakers are detachable and you just switch the control on the bike from headset to speaker. the mike still works w/o the speakers but the sound comes throught the bike speakers. when you want to use the ear speakers just plug them back into the helmet unit. and switch your bike control switch to headset.

I also have a scala rider set the speaker is a single speaker the size of a quarter which has a velcro back that will stick to the liner anywhere in your helmet. I stick mine just around the temple area. The only thing with the scala is it operates on blue tooth. great for cell phones gps and 2 or 4 rider comunication, but unless the bike is blue tooth ready or you instal a dongle, it wont work with the cb radio or on board intercom.

Saddle bum

Which model of headset do you use?

:think:

I have a chatterbox unit I bought 4 years ago. The unit and mike clip onto the side of your helmet. I bought an adapter from edsets that lets you use earbuds. When I use my half helmet in the summer I just clip the chatterbox unti to the half helmet and use the earbuds. If you are in a state that doesn't allow speakers in helmet or earbuds you could change to external speaker.