IGNORED

Gearset - 2nd gen into a 1st gen 1200

Venturous Randy

I know this has been batted around a little in the past, but I am wanting to convert my 83 engine with an 86 gear set in it to a 2nd gen gearset with wider spaced gears. I also want to go to a V-Max rear-end. I believe this would be the optimum setup for a 1st gen. It would give me a lower 1st gear with the V-Max rear and still have a better highway gear at 65mph.

But, I am not sure the set would be a direct drop in like going from the 83 to 86 was. I may have the opportunity to pick one up and was just wanting to know if anyone knows why it would not work.

RandyA

If anyone is interested, I have a complete transmission out of a 1986 with 32,000 miles on it.

This is a matched set, all parts are from same bike.

I got them to put in my 1983, but plans have changed now that I have the 1988, 1300 engine.

Everything is included:

Both transmission gear sets

Middle drive gear & universal

Shifter drum

Shifter forks

Shifter linkage

Two sets of new middle drive shims. .15 & .3 mm

Crankshaft balancer included.

Price is $75.00 + $15.00 priority shipping to lower 48.

Gary

Are you watching the 2000 set with 49k on it Randy? I was looking at it and thinking it looks like it would work. But have tooo many projects going right now. If you haven't seen this one I will send you the info.

I do believe so. I am thinking that it would be a dropin.

Dingy, that's a good deal for one of these MKI guys with the 2nd gear problem. It would be about the cheapest fix they could do.

RandyA

Randy,

I looked into that too, and I think it can be done. If you look at the parts breakdown the gears and almost all the attaching harware seem to be identical with where everything is placed. If I can come across a G2 to part out for my '99 I'll get with you and we'll get the trans in your hands.

Randy,

I looked into that too, and I think it can be done. If you look at the parts breakdown the gears and almost all the attaching harware seem to be identical with where everything is placed. If I can come across a G2 to part out for my '99 I'll get with you and we'll get the trans in your hands.

I now have a 2nd gen set on the way. :dancefool:

RandyA

If anyone is interested, I have a complete transmission out of a 1986 with 32,000 miles on it.

This is a matched set, all parts are from same bike.

I got them to put in my 1983, but plans have changed now that I have the 1988, 1300 engine.

Everything is included:

Both transmission gear sets

Middle drive gear & universal

Shifter drum

Shifter forks

Shifter linkage

Two sets of new middle drive shims. .15 & .3 mm

Crankshaft balancer included.

Price is $75.00 + $15.00 priority shipping to lower 48.

Gary

I sent you a PM.

I am interested in the 86 set.

Randya knows my story right randy?