I have done a little more research on this leak, but still dont know what the cover is called, see the pics. The first one shows the cover, and the second shows where the oil is coming from after removing the cover.

I changed the valve cover gaskets a few weeks ago. It wasn't leaking until after I did this. I don't see any oil in the coolant, nor is there any coolant in the oil. Whats coming out of the hole is pure oil as near as I can tell.

I'm running BelRay EXL 10-40 motorcycle oil. I don't remember the name of the coolant, but it was orange and wasn't cheap.

Is it possible that I have a blockage and thats why it's leaking out of the hole? I have an air compressor and was considering blowing 30-40 psi into the hole where the oil is coming out to see if I can dislodge whatever it is. Or is this not a good idea? Any suggestions would be a help.

Thanks Dano, I took another look and I think you're right. I've got oil around the plug. I don't know which cylinder # it is, but at least I got lucky and it's the back valve cover. It's the one on the brake pedal side. I'm hoping that the valve cover gasket can be saved, but if it looks cut at all, I'll opt for a new one. I'll let you know what I find out. I guess the saying of a picture is worth a thousand words is right!

Hey 6Pak,

The right rear cylinder is actually #3, (not that it makes any difference) I have not had very good luck reusing those valve cover gaskets in the past without using RTV on them. Here's an FYI, the Second Gen. Valve Cover gaskets will fit the First Gens. nicely, and are MUCH easier to install. They have a horizontal rib that runs around the outside of the gasket that keeps the gasket in the Valve Cover much better. Just some thoughts,

Earl

I pulled the valve cover off, and found that the gasket was cut right behind where thr coolant hose is. ( No wonder I didn't see it) So I ordered another gasket from bike bandit. As far as using the 2nd gen gaskets, thats what I just put on there. I didn't see any difference as far as being easy to install, and didn't like the fit as well as the original 1st gen gasket fits. Maybe they are supposed to be the same but you will never convince me.

I just replaced my valve cover gaskets this week. I took the advice of some wiser folks here and used a little RTV on the gasket to hold it in place. It helped a little bit. I was too impatient to let the RTV dry overnight. So, I just let the RTV "tack" a bit. My biggest problem was getting the gasket aligned up while placing the cover back into position. I'm wondering if placing the gasket on the engine side first, and then placing the cover on top of the gasket followed by a final fitment to ensure it's properly seated and not pinched would work? Might be worth a shot.

I was surprised at how quickly I was able to change out my gaskets...I thought it was going to be a lot longer to accomplish than it took (about 30 min-45 min each).