IGNORED

A little diversion

Condor

Went to a marine swap last Saturday and came home with a 'hit'n'miss'. It doesn't look like much, and it never may. I just couldn't help myself. I love to hear these old things run, and I always make it a point to spend some time taking in the display of chuffers at the State Fair. Besides I need a break from scoots for a while.....:whistling:

What the heck was it? :rotf:

Near as I can figure, after doing some research on the net, is that it was built by the Cushman Motor Works for the Bean Co. for their orchard sprayer. These things ran washing machines, well pumps, lumber mills. Just about everything before electricity came along. They're called hit'n'miss engines. The spark came off a magneto and only fired when the rpm dropped below a certain point. So it only fires when needed. Hense the hit'n'miss lable. Put a load on one of these things and it just keeps firing on every stroke and the torque is incredible....

When I was going up on the Farm, my Uncle Dave had small oil wells up in the hills south of us. And on calm days you could here them running Everyday he would go by the house to check on the wells So when he did Mom would put on a pot of coffee for him Loved That man Sure do miss him.

Thanks Jack for the photo. Brought back great memory's of my child hood with Uncle Dave.

buddy

and they really sound cool when there are 4 or more running at the same time.. They kinda have their own lanquage..

My grandmother had one on her old wringer wash machine that was wayyyyy cool... Takes me back to alot of lost memories there...

That great big flywheel keeps em chugging for long after combustion. Condor, your a man after my own heart.. I drag stuff like that home and my wife just shakes her head and smiles... Have fun gettin er to putt.. REally neat find there bro!!

I had an old IHC 1 1/2 hp engine that looked very similar to that one but mine wasn't an actual "hit and miss". It was fun to watch and hear it run but after having it sit around for about 15 years I decided it should go to someone who would appreciate it and maybe show it off. I sold it to a fellow who belongs to a local gas and steam engine club and he hooked it up to run a small reciprocating wood saw. Now I get to go and see it work at their show every summer.

I like hearing them run also. There is a large tractor show in Wellington, OH which is about 7 miles from me. They have it once per year and there are always several of them on display and running. Also, the guy that I bought my 10' trailer from collects them When I picked up the trailer earlier this year he showed them to me and they are really nice.

Here is an old 1901 machine that is used to make ice cream. The owner takes it to local Indiana festivals and sells ice cream. It run really nice.

It is fun to hear the POW every 3 seconds or so.

It has an rpm sensor on it.

This man has a number of old motors like this, and he rebuilds them.

My first thought was Jack is going to upgrade a first gen to a more modern power plant.

I like those old engines when I moved to Odessa tx there was a pump jack with an ajax 1 cylinder running it about 500 yards from the house and I could not sleep for the first couple of weeks then it got to where I could not sleep if it was not running. That will be fun to play with.

Went to a marine swap last Saturday and came home with a 'hit'n'miss'. It doesn't look like much, and it never may. I just couldn't help myself. I love to hear these old things run, and I always make it a point to spend some time taking in the display of chuffers at the State Fair. Besides I need a break from scoots for a while.....:whistling:
Not only don't you have the :mo money:, you just don't like buying anything new, you like buying dust collectors. Too bad there wasn't about 20,000 members Jack, then we could all chip in a dollar to buy you a "NEW" 2nd gen, :rotf::rotf:, or we could chip in two dollars a piece and buy you a Boss Hoss :whistling:. The Boss Hoss is a 1st gen, and you'd have something faster than a Yamy 1st gen. :thumbsup2: :whistling:

Too bad there wasn't about 20,000 members Jack, then we could all chip in a dollar to buy you a "NEW" 2nd gen,, or we could chip in two dollars a piece and buy you a Boss Hoss .

I wouldn't know what to do with anything new ...... And you aught to meet my girlfriend..... Second Hand Rose......:rotf::whistling:

My first thought was Jack is going to upgrade a first gen to a more modern power plant.

I like those old engines when I moved to Odessa tx there was a pump jack with an ajax 1 cylinder running it about 500 yards from the house and I could not sleep for the first couple of weeks then it got to where I could not sleep if it was not running. That will be fun to play with.

mike , my first impression of jack's new toy, was "is that an ajax"???

i have set and listend to them for hours on end,(in a deer blind), down around Cotula, never did go up and get a close look at one though. so enlighten me, if you will. is that an ajax?

just jt