IGNORED

I'm about half way

Venturous Randy

As I have mentioned earlier, I am going thru a lifestyle change. On Nov 19, I weighed 242 pounds and this morning I weighed 207. In another 35 pounds I will weigh about what I will be comfortable with, even though it will still be above the gov/insurance recommendations. The best part is the change in my diabetes control. My A1C was about 11 then and now it is 6.6, which means I had an average sugar level between 250 and 300 and now it is much closer to 100. I have now dropped my insulin from 46 units a night to 15 while working with a doctor.

The most amazing part about this is how easy it has been. The biggest change is simply stop eating all the sweet junk I was eating, and now I don't crave them at all. To be diabetic, I was really abusing myself with what I was eating and drinking. I am still eating about anything I want and really don't think of being on a diet, as I am not. Just eating slower, chewing my food and eating smaller portions. The key to eating smaller portions is to eat slow enough to get food into your system rather than eat faster and stuff yourself and still be hungry. It is also about how much better I feel when I finish a meal and not feel stuffed and have a bunch of indigestion.

The main reason I am bringing this up is I want to encourage other's to consider what I am doing. I don't suggest going thru a divorce as I am doing to get you to start thinking about yourself, but in my case it has been a real refocus of my personal needs. I also want to encourage others that are type II diabetic or going to be to consider what you are doing to yourself. Diabetes has a bunch of related problems that comes with it.

RandyA

Good Job Randy. This retirement thing has made me need to do something. I could stand to loose about 30 lbs. Winter sucks nothing to do but eat. And I CAN EAT!! Warmer weather I can get my building finished and some heat in there it will give me something to do with those spare parts.... Keep at it Randy. Going to look for a changed man this summer!!!

randya: I have come close to PM you a couple of times to ask how you are doing the weight loss. When I went in for my surgery they found out I was type 2 diabetes. (sugar was at 404 when they checked it before surgery). I gained 100lbs after hurting my back this last time and now they want me to eat 5 to 6 times a day. I know they said small portions but I have eaten only once a day for as long as I can remember and my weight gain was not from how much I ate but from going from being very active to being able to do nothing at all. In 2005 I had gained 80lbs before surgery and lost it all in less then a year by just getting active again. With this diabetes it seems hopeless because with the meds that they say adds to weight gain and having to eat as often as they say. Never was big on sweets and I haven't used salt or sugar in 20 years. I guess I just have to wait until my back heals and I'm back to being active again to see what happens. Strange at how much better I feel right now after just writing down whats been worry me. LOL. Just hope I can get down to my normal weight before to long. Any more tips you can pass along will be appreciated.

Good advice on the diet and weight control.

I've been slowly trying to change my diet, at least I'm thinking about it now and eating more fruit and less sweets. Part of that is changing my buying habits at the supermarket.

Part #2 of the plan is to have a fixed exercise program everyday. I have an elliptical exercise machine arriving Monday via Fedex that I plan on using every morning before breakfast. Just like morning PT in the military. Unlike the military, I'll try to avoid packing in the food.

Good job, buddy. I'm on a plateau right now and it makes it tough to keep focus. But I'm still on the treadmill every morning and doing some type of workout every night. I figure if nothing else, I'll be the most in shape fat guy you've ever seen.:banana:

Got the bike put back together, now all we need is some warm weather and we can go for a ride!!!

I want to truly thank everyone for the great comments and encouragement. But, most of all, I wanted to encourage others to think about their weight issues and particularly with their own look at controlling their diabetes better. And even if you do not have diabetic tendencys now, if you are 50 pounds or more over weight, as you get older, the probably of having type II diabetes goes up a lot.

It really did take me looking at myself and realizing I wanted me to be a happier person and to like myself better. Even though I have a long way to go, and it will be a bumpy road, I know there will be good times for me and I want to enjoy them as much as I can. :cool10:

RandyA