IGNORED

Seat Selection

Ron59

Hey Guys and Gals. I have a question on which is the more comfortable seat for our Venture... I just got a 05 Midnight Venture and I'm wondering if the seat on the Midnight is going to be ok, or are the pillow tops better?? Corbin,Mustang???? I know I can find some good used pillow tops cheaper then getting Corin or Mustang. Any input would be appreciated, Cant wait for Spring......... We just keep getting more snow and cold here in Nebraska, We are thinking about hauling our bikes south..gettin the fever to ride!!!!!!!!

Seats are so subjective, like windshields, what works for one doesn't work for others. I like the pillow-top (stock) on my Venture. It is probably the best stock seat I've ever had and it is good for 500 mile days. At 700 miles it's time to get off it. I've had Corbins on my other bikes and although better than most stock seats it is not good for an all day ride. The best seats I've owned are Russell Day-Long and have done 1,000+ mile days in them. Although, I doubt I'll be doing many more of them as I get older. I try to keep it between 500-600 miles now. I have no experience with Mustang.

I have found that you can't judge a seat by sitting on it. You have to put several hundred miles on it to tell if it works for you.

I have bought seat upgrades, factory gel seats, touring seats, etc. In the past I have bought an average of three seats per bike till I found one that worked. Now if stock don't work I go right to a Day-Long.

Hey,

Put a Mustang on my '98 RSTD and have loved it! I have a Corbin on my V-Strom and hate it. It has wonderful form but is hard as a rock. All that said you need to contact Rick Butler (on this site), he has lots of experience and you will get ton's of feed back if you need it. He worked my corbin this past fall and it is markedly improved.

All the best,

Norm

On my 05 Midnight the seat pan where my legs went accross was at such a bend and not much padding that it caused my legs to go to sleep. I put on a set o pillow tops and haven't had the problem since. I would suppose that if you had Rick Butler redo them it would probably be less expensive and just as comfortable.

I had the pillowtop on my '08.... had very bad tailbone pain.... after the first day of our week long trip, it felt like I git hit in the tail with a BAT!! Had The Butler mod done... was different, but just didn't work for me. A TON of people love Rick's work.. so I'm sure I'm the oddball, worth a try for the money.. Traded for a stock seat... same tailbone pain.... Just bought a Saddlemen "Road sofa"... MUCH firmer... gonna take some getting used to. No 500 mile trips on it (yet) but have done some extended rides to "test" it... NO TAILBONE PAIN!!!!!! Very promising....

Thanks for your input everyone, I dont now what I'm going to do,wish the weather was nice enough to take it out for a day trip. The Midnight seat just feels a little firm for me,almost like the factory seat on my Roadstar-- which I replaced with Ultimate seats,very comfortable but pricey. I'm mostly concerned about my wife she gets tired butt syndrome easier then me,and you know what they say when Mama's not happy......(:

Mike I'm about 85miles north of Omaha, rural Thurston NE

Thanks again everyone, I love this Venture site

Thanks for your input everyone, I dont now what I'm going to do,wish the weather was nice enough to take it out for a day trip. The Midnight seat just feels a little firm for me,almost like the factory seat on my Roadstar-- which I replaced with Ultimate seats,very comfortable but pricey...

I had a Roadstar and now have a 2002 Midnight Venture. As far as I am concerned, there is no comparison between the R* seat and the Midnight (non-pillowtop). I can't say that the Midnight seat could not be improved but I don't have serious problems with up to 600 miles in a day. On the Roady, my butt would have been screaming at much over 300 miles.

Ross

First forget a Mustang seat. They don't make a seat for a Venture. I emailed them a few weeks ago to ask if they were going to come out with a seat for the Venture and there response was they had no plans to make a seat for the Venture. Same... I have one on my Road Star and I love it. I have a 2000MM Venture with a Corbin and I love it. I also have a stock seat for the 2000MM and it gets uncomfortable after a few hundred miles. I also sent off a stock MM seat to Rick Butler and had him redo it and it is much better but I like the Corbin. However my daughter says the Corbin is uncomfortable after an hour or so of riding and I have heard that from quit a few passengers.

I have a 2001 Venture with the pillow top seats and I love them. I have not ridden more that about a hour and a half but no problem what so ever. My rear seat has a very small tear (about 1/2") so I wish I could find another one cheap I would replace it. I also wish I had a set of pillow tops that would fit a 2000MM that were tan I would put those on my MM.

I don't think you have the pillow top seats. I would try to borrow a set from someone and test it out. I think you would like them.