IGNORED

Slide Scanner-Not Motorcycle Related

Aimhigh

I have a "million" slides that I want to put on the computer. Does anyone have any experience with slide scanners? I would like to get a sturdy one, capable of scanning a multitude of slides. Appreciate any help. By the way, when I went to Best Buy to inquire about one, the salesperson (young) did not even know what a slide is...had to explain.

I guess it depends on what you want to spend. But a good scanner that will do most anything a home user would want would be an Epson Perfection V500 Photo for about $249. This is the entry level for a Digital ICE and D4 technology scanner. The next price level is over $500.

I would suggest cleaning the slides first with an Anti-static film cleaner using Pec-Pad lint free wipes wearing lint free gloves. I also wipe my slides with a low radiation camel hair brush to anti-static the film. Whether it be a slide or negative it takes me about 45 minutes each from clean scan fix final save.

Well, I'm not that experienced in your Task, but if i were you, I'd either look for a used Setup on Ebay, with a SCSI Connection because it still works much faster than most other Links. And i'd look for something with an automatic Changer. It's really odd to sit there and change Slide by Slide by Hand, wait 30 Seconds, change, klick, wait 30 Seconds, change, klick ...

If you have so much Slides to scan, I'd probabaly look for a Professional doing this for me. They usually have much better Equipment than the Home Operator (which one you have to invest in for this Job). In the End it might cost you a but more Money, but you most likely will have better Data and not a LOT of Time wasted by setting up the Hardware, finding a Pic Program for the Job and giving the Slide Jockey for countless Hours.

I have an Epson Perfection V350 scanner that will scan slides as well as a 35mm negative feed option. Its very time consuming but does a great job.

Keith

This is a scanned slide of me from the late 70's.....still have the bike but not the hair !!!

No idea what is available today but several years ago I acquired a fairly good slide scanner for a client (cost around $2000 at that time). It had an adapter to hold something like 8 or 9 slides and the "lid" was the part that scanned the slides. Can't recall the make of it now but it did a very good job and was quite fast. I seem to recall that there were only about 3 scanners to choose from that would handle multiple slides and the next one up was over $5000. It was a SCSI connection as nothing else at that time could provide a decent data transfer speed.

Not much help for ya but I can suggest that a better quality one will probably work best.

My wife bought a Wolverine F2D 35MM film to Digital Converter at Costco. It was only about 100.00. It did a great job of converting all of he Dad's old 35mm slides from when she was a child. Model # F2D100, WWW.Wolverinedata.com It comes with a SD card and is a stand alone no computer or special software required. I also has a USB port to upload them to a computer.

I use a Canon CanoScan 8400F that I bought a few years back. It comes with a slide rack that holds 4 at a time. Does a pretty decent job of it to. I had files full of 35 mm negs and slides and wanted to convert them.

It is time consuming but I was happy with the quality I got. I think it was under $200.00 when I bought it. Have no idea what the model # would be today.