I received a caliper seal kit for my '83 venture. Included was a small pack of what looks like a red grease. There were no instructions in the seal kit nor in the factory manual explaining what to do with this 'stuff'. It appears to be a lubricant that you put on where (pistons, seals, dust seal)? It is dissolved by brake fluid but I'm hesitant to use it for fear of contaminating the system which I just spent countless hours cleaning up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, it is an assembly lube, and use it on the seals mostly. It does get disolved by the brake fluid, but when you bleed the system it just flushes out.

Couple of suggestions. Polish your pistons before reassembling, and if they have any nicks or scratehes on them replace the piston.

You will most likely need a vacuum pump to bleed the system effectively, especially if you rebilt the master cylinder as well.

What would be the best way to polish the brake pistons? I have disassembled mine and was going to look for some 600 grit emery cloth - would that be alright or is it too coarse?

And can I use the same emery cloth on the cylinder once the seals are removed?

Thanks!

I use a rag polishing wheel on a bench grinder to polish the pistons. I use a wheel cylinder hone to clean up the bores. A light hone with kerosene is how I do it. The red grease goes on the seals BEFORE you try to install the piston. Anyone else who is looking for rebuilt VR calipers might find this link interesting:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/2443/cat/6/date/1156391368

If you are interested, PM Me.

Earl