IGNORED

What happened to the Glock thread??

Al Bates

I help moderate the forum in my signature and first hand experience showed me how quick a thread can turn bad and if someone isn't right there to handle it, it gets deep quick. I try not and question how someone runs their board nowadays. No need to explain what or why or how it's ran.

I frequent several other motorcycle forums, and all have seem to have gun threads, even the dirtbike forum I go to. What is up with that, aren't there gun forums?

I also frequent golf forums, surf forums, and Basset forums. I never see anything about guns on the golf or surf forums, and only occasionally in reference to hunting with hounds in the basset forums.

Strangely enough, I have seen a basset thread here.

Edited by hig4s

I have read allot of post on this sight that went down that wrong road, that should have been removed, some were and some were not. It just depends on who you are, I have seen some real heated post over motorcycle repair. It's always "my way is better then your way" and down that road they go. Some guys are all ways right and will never give up. These guys know who they are.

I'm just trying to give good honest feedback.

After all this is Don's sight / business, and he can run it any way he sees fit.

I appreciate all feedback but am really sorry that you feel that "it depends upon who you are". If that ever happens, it is certainly not intentional. I can tell you for a fact even some of the moderators make mistakes and have had posts removed. In fact, I have even censored myself at least two or three times. We are all human and are subject to having a bad day and posting something that we should not. I posted a reply to somebody a while back and then the next day I got a couple of PMs telling me that my post was two strong and was out of line. Upon reading what I had posted, I had to agree and deleted it.

I will also admit that the heated discussions on motorcycle related items get more leeway than do any political, religious, gun debates, etc. The reason is simply because though some may get a bit heated, at least they are motorcycle related and that is the main reason we are here. People can be passionate in what they believe and though some threads may get heated, there is often much that we can learn from the content of those posts. We try to let those posts go unless they degrade to the point of personal attacks, name calling, etc.

It is not always easy deciding when to step in. As I said, we are all human and subject to letting our emotions get involved. I personally have very strong political beliefs. Many times I've had to delete posts that were blatantly political even when I may have agreed with the content 100%. It's not easy when you try to be fair to all but I can promise you that I...and we...do give it our best shot.

I frequent several other motorcycle forums, and all have seem to have gun threads, even the dirtbike forum I go to. What is up with that, aren't there gun forums?

I also frequent golf forums, surf forums, and Basset forums. I never see anything about guns on the golf or surf forums, and only occasionally in reference to hunting with hounds in the basset forums.

Strangely enough, I have seen a basset thread here.

Guns+Motorcycles= Risk Not much risk in Basset Hounds or Golf.

That is exactly what happened. It's really a shame that folks can't discuss something else that is of interest without it getting hijacked with all the political mess. I posted TWO times to NOT let it get political but some folks just can't let it go.

I must have missed something a while back but can you refresh my memory as to why you didn't set up a political section? :confused07:

Cmor

Regarding moderator deletions of posts, when that happens, is there a notice there like when a person deletes there own post?

I've seen forums where you see a little interstitial message where the post was, saying things like:

Post by Dave77459 deleted by moderator. Reason: flamebait

Post by Dave77459 deleted by moderator. Reason: off-topic

I think it serves two purposes: the poster gets easy feedback on their bad behavior, and they know they weren't imagining that they'd posted. I suppose it also "outs" them to the others in the forum, who might ignore what they say in the future.

I love this site, and support Don's decision to do whatever is easy enough. He and the other mods do much more than we will ever know. I appreciate that.

Dave

I must have missed something a while back but can you refresh my memory as to why you didn't set up a political section? :confused07:

Cmor

I hope this site never sees a political section. There are plenty of forums out there with plenty of political sections. I have been on some other MC forums that were ruined or nearly ruined by political discussions. This is a forum where all are welcome and serious disagreements are rare. I've been involved in a heated debate here and was shut down. No big deal. It keeps the place enjoyable for all.

Cmor

Unfortunately, as Don has said, we are all human. And, being human, we can carry a grudge from one section to another. Political discussions can, and most often do, become very heated. They can also develope hard feelings which some can't leave at the door. Those hard feelings become very personal and tend to show up in other threads.

Subsequently, no political section.

This subject has been beaten into the ground too many times now. :bang head::bang head::bang head:

And yes, the Neanderthal comment has been deleted.

Edited by Black Owl

When somebody calls a group of people neanderthals the post should be deleted and a warning should be issued.

???? And where did anyone call any group of people Neanderthals? If you are serious, you totally need to re-read the post. If you are joking, it is really not apparent.

well, i usually don't jump into these kind of posts but i would like to say that don has always let the membership in large keep it in good working order. several yrs back he took a poll as to let us have a section to have some off-topics post. and most went for it. it didn't last too long before it cause a lot of strife among the members. the section was done away with and i wholey agreed. i have stopped going to a few motorcycle forum that went too far and had a lot of mad people because of it. i go to all types of forum that i like for differant ideas and advice. some i don't visit anymore because i had enough striff in my life to deal with as most of us, and don't need anymore. THANKS for all you do for us , DON! this is the best forum i visit out of all.

Unfortunately, as Don has said, we are all human. And, being human, we can carry a grudge from one section to another. Political discussions can, and most often do, become very heated. They can also develope hard feelings which some can't leave at the door. Those hard feelings become very personal and tend to show up in other threads.

Subsequently, no political section.

This subject has been beaten into the ground too many times now. :bang head::bang head::bang head:

And yes, the Neanderthal comment has been deleted.

Sounds fair to me. Thanks for the info.