IGNORED

Need help finding a part...

The rubber grommet that the front tab on the false tank cover fits in on my '86 VR is in pretty bad shape. Anybody got any idea where I can find a new one? Every now and then the tab will back out of the grommet and I'll see the tank cover start to lift while I'm riding down the road. It causes a feeling that is somewhat less than comfortable.

Thanks for the help.:thumbdown:

Yep they list it. They're pretty proud of it too. I may have to break down and pay their price if I can't find it anywhere else. Thanks for the link.

You not only need the washer but you'll need the compression sleeve. I suspect the reason your gromet is in such bad shape is you're compressing it to tighten the screw... probbly with a large washer on top and not getting it really tight. The sleeve will let you tighten down on the screw and keep it from squashing the gromet. The sleeve just slides inside the gromet and will easily sprout legs if not watched carefully. :)

Thanks for the replies, but I don't have a problem with the screw (at the gas cap). The part that I'm talking about is the other end next to the handle bars. The rubber thing the tab on the false tank cover slides into. Sorry I can't explain it any better.

Here's what I came up with on my '84. Mine was missing when I bought the bike. I found some edge molding like they use on the car doors to keep them from getting (or making dings) and fabbed one out of that.

The regular door trim is pretty stiff and some even had a metal strip in it. I found some trim at a hardware store that was a more flexable but firm rubber. It was about the right size to fit over the inside edges of the tank cover. I used a heat gun to soften it up and then fitted it while it was still warm. Had to cut the inside edges a bit to fit the tight bends. It's still there after two years. Holding up well.

And if the tank cover is so far forward that the cover is coming loose while riding there is some adjustment. The flange that the screw goes into can be pivoted a bit. If you look on either side under the plastic you will see two bolts on either side that hold that bracket in place and secures the gas tank neck. Those four bolts can be loosened and the bracket can be rotated a bit. That moves the screw flange back and forth enough to pull the cover back a bit and bring that tab further into the grommet.

Something to look at anyway.

Here's what I came up with on my '84. Mine was missing when I bought the bike. I found some edge molding like they use on the car doors to keep them from getting (or making dings) and fabbed one out of that.

The regular door trim is pretty stiff and some even had a metal strip in it. I found some trim at a hardware store that was a more flexable but firm rubber. It was about the right size to fit over the inside edges of the tank cover. I used a heat gun to soften it up and then fitted it while it was still warm. Had to cut the inside edges a bit to fit the tight bends. It's still there after two years. Holding up well.

And if the tank cover is so far forward that the cover is coming loose while riding there is some adjustment. The flange that the screw goes into can be pivoted a bit. If you look on either side under the plastic you will see two bolts on either side that hold that bracket in place and secures the gas tank neck. Those four bolts can be loosened and the bracket can be rotated a bit. That moves the screw flange back and forth enough to pull the cover back a bit and bring that tab further into the grommet.

Something to look at anyway.

My bad...I'm not doing to good today. What threw me was your saying the tab will work it's way out of the slot and allow the cover to rise. The only way that can happen is if the rear screw is loose, or the whole rear tab is busted off, and the cover slides forward. If it's intact the front tab will rattle around a bit, but should never come all the way out. I'd ask one of these salvers on Ebay and ask them if they have one of those gromets. It's generally left in the frame, and if it's taken out most of these guys haven't got a clue what it's for if they lay it down somewhere.... :)

try at www.bikebandit.com, or get in touch with Rick at www.buckeyeperformance.com . He's a Yamaha dealer that specializes in 1st & 2nd Gen Ventures.

If you go to Bikebandit, click on the exploded diagram labeled "Side Cover". It is item number 28: Damper. P/N is 19061-001. Price is $11.72 each.

Edited by warthogcrewchief