IGNORED

seat suggestions,please...

Just as info,

The Day Long seat was designed by Bill Mayer Sr. and Russel bought the rights to the design,, After that Bill Mayer Saddles was founded on a newer disign by Bill Mayer Sr. After his death Bill (Rocky) Mayer jr. took over the business. Rick Mayer, Rocky's younger brother, took offense because he had worked in the factory and Rocky had not, so he started his own company..

So three of the top rated custom seat manufacturers,, Rick Mayer cycles, Bill Mayer saddles, and Russel seats all use the designs of Bill Mayer Sr...

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought an 05 RSTD with 400 miles on it, hoping my butt does not get sore too fast, but after reading all this I have a feeling it will.

When I was at the dealer I opted for the utopia rider backrest and paid full price for it as well.

Anyways I am thinking of maybe trying this and hoping some one has had or knows someone who has one of these. I am a sucker for things are too good to be true, this time I am hoping to actually find someone who can tell me it is worth the money.

Link and watch the video, shows the vibration between foam and gel.

http://geltecproducts.com/detail.aspx?ID=23

David

• 1 month later...
I got rid of my '02 wing just to try something different,my wife rides a '02 silverado so I bought a '06 RSTD.I could ride 800 miles on my wing with no problems,it had the stock seat with a Utopia back rest.I ride 10 miles on the RSTD and when I get off my tailbone hurts,I mean HURTS.After 800 miles in 6 weeks I had to take 3 weeks off of riding 'cause my back hurt so bad.Yes,I dont have the best back in the world,but I could ride my wing forever and I was OK.I'm 6'3 weigh 235,will a Utopia or other seat help,or am I wasting my time and should I go back to a Wing?I'm trying to like this thing,but I feel like I got out of a 2006 caddy and got into a 1965 VW beetle.Advice is appreciated,would a Road Star be more comfortable? Thanks...

I have the EXACT SAME problem... tailbone pain on the RSTD. Most people don't know what I'm talking about so obviously their anatomy is slightly different. The RS frame/seat design has the radius on the back of the seating area, where a clearance pocket is a better seat design. (automotive seating included)

I just switched to a Mustang with a backrest and it appears better (no miles yet) but still I find the RSTD forces me forward, legs touching the tank. Damn the "must have a low saddle height like Jesse James" styling/marketing ideas anyway. My Victory TC was chosen for ergonomics and at that it excelled. Too bad the vibes/gearing/windshield all sucked.

Hi-

Like you I bought a new 06 RSTD for a different ride,and just about quit after 10 Miles with tail bone aches.

We bought a new Hartco seat made especially for my tall height and weight. The seat is larger and sits lower than the original. My wife's seat is also MUCH wider. Both are very firm but we can ride them all day. The 02 Goldwing trike hardly gets used now. Diamond is nearly the same and is made in the same building. Daveinnh:322:

Got a web link Dave?

Guest Red Raider

I also have a bad back. I installed a Utopia backrest on my '05 RSTD last year and after about 5000 miles with it, I don't travel without it... I still have the factory saddle and I think I could do better, but that backrest makes a lot of difference for me.

I also have a bad back. I installed a Utopia backrest on my '05 RSTD last year and after about 5000 miles with it, I don't travel without it... I still have the factory saddle and I think I could do better, but that backrest makes a lot of difference for me.

Had the same problem on the 03 Royal Star Venture. It has the pillow seat which is supposed to be pretty comfortable, but I still got sore after 100-150 miles. Utopia backrest did the trick and I can go for hours now!

I just installed a Mustang seat combo with drivers backrest. Have put 200 plus miles and can tell the difference. I made my own backrest support that is taller and sets the backrest back further to keep me back from the tank.

Hey Jim, can you take an image of the backrest bracket for us?

Guest Diggs

Rode to Daytona from Cincinnati on my '05 RSTD using an ultimate seat. Zero butt numbness. And that was after 7 days and 3000 total miles. One of the other posts has the web site.

:322:

Anybody tried So. Cal. Cycle Seats? socalcycleseat.com

These guys will add gel inserts into your stock seat for $200.00 (rider & passanger), plus frt.

I've never tried them. I did try putting gel inserts in a stock seat one time and just wasn't impressed with it.

There is an earlier post that proclaims the Airhawk seat cushion as a good solution. I wholeheartedly agree!!!

www.shapefitting.com

These cushions are made by Roho - a medical devices company. Their principle product are medical pads - for wheelchairs, beds, etc. that keep people from getting bedsores.

You inflate them (just blow it up) and sit on it. While sitting, release a little air until you sink into the cushion down to about 1/2 inch from bottoming. It will take a little experimentation to get the exact setup. However, once you have it set up, you will no longer have any difficulty with sore buns.

I bought one 2 year ago before riding to Las Vegas and back. I travelled 4200 miles in 6 days. To be honest, the last couple of hundred miles I was ready to get off the bike. But I think sitting on a cloud for that long would get uncomfortable. However, I rode the next day and felt great.

They are a little expensive (about $200), but they can go between bikes. Also, very high quality. Have a 2 year warranty. I have put many miles on mine without any trouble.

In case you haven't noticed, I like this product - it works as advertised. Good luck with whatever you find.