IGNORED

How fast is the RSV?

Guest BillFoltz

The second gen gearset with the VMAX rear would put you almost exactly where you want to be. I am running the VMAX rear in my second gen and those numbers are VERY close to what I'm getting. I think it's perfect. Pretty much splits the difference between stock first gen and stock second gen.

Don,

Notice any difference in gas mileage though? Has it gotten better, worse, stayed the same?

The second gen gearset with the VMAX rear would put you almost exactly where you want to be. I am running the VMAX rear in my second gen and those numbers are VERY close to what I'm getting. I think it's perfect. Pretty much splits the difference between stock first gen and stock second gen.

Thanks for the input Freebird. Maybe a winter project I have everything need to do it. Now the hard part is just doing it especially taking the motor out. Not really looking foward to it.

Yeah, I remember when I was 21 and bulletproof! You guys are nuts! Either that, or I'm old.
your never to old to air one out.i get carried away and air them out once in awhile and i'll be 65 next month.as soon as i find a safe place,i'm going to let her eat on my fast bike. :cool10::cool10::2133:

your never to old to air one out.i get carried away and air them out once in awhile and i'll be 65 next month.as soon as i find a safe place,i'm going to let her eat on my fast bike. :cool10::cool10::2133:

More POWER to you! (pun intended!). I don't know, I'm very comfortable at "standard" highway speeds. Though, it's nice to know that I have the HP when I need it. On my '78 Yama 400 I had no problems full throttle. A little more conservative today.

Don,

Notice any difference in gas mileage though? Has it gotten better, worse, stayed the same?

No, I can't really say that I've noticed any difference but my gas mileage is BAD right now. It started before the change though. I'm still trying to find out what has happened.

my 83 with fresh carbs rebuild, fresh sync, brakes done right, tires at 45 pounds running Dunlops, shield cut to 8", running bags but no trunk, plugs gapped to 28 thou, not running side covers but fairings are on and complete, running open fishtails that I designed to squeeze tail ends to adjust backpressure on the Dyno.. 105 MPH in 3rd gear is common - not even starting to valve float... 120 in forth and it was not over by any stretch of the word.. I believe it has more there, 5th will have to wait till next year for a Bonneville run to find out... I would REALLY like to know whats REALLY possible too!!!

On another note,, I was riding a buddies R1 the other day... 102 MPH in 1st gear folks ----- and I am NOT joking.... and ummmmmm,, can you say FLY?? If you can say "fly" you have just found out how long it takes to get to 102 too - FLYY and your there... Or just sit and crank the throttle and listen to the engine rev,, now try to beat the engine to top revs with you hand twisting the happy grip - aint gonna happen!! Now remember that the same thing happens in first gear with your back tire hooked to the tarmack.. Hope you can ride bro cause THAT is one mean awesomely powerful bike that dont take no crap from NOBODY - you better be ready to standup and lean over the front and force it down into the ground or your gonna have to let up or over backwards!! I honestly think 230 MPH would not be out of the question on this new R1.. I would LOVE to do it too BUT NOWHERE other then Bonneville flats - PERIOD!!

If you cant ride your dead..its that simple...

I honestly think 230 MPH would not be out of the question on this new R1..

Maybe unrestricted and wearing different body work. I think it would be drag limited to be able to hit 230 even IF the electronics allowed it. Most manufacturers are staying within the 186 MAX MPH limit.

Guest BillFoltz

Well I have gotten a lot of answers to my question on how fast the RSV is, but this old man still needs to find out things for himself some times. And though I have not fully answered my own question, I have at least satisified my own curiosity. On Wednesday, I put the bike up to the 120 mark on the speedometer, and she reached that speed quite quickly for a full dresser. I figured that (120) was about as true of a reading as I could get. I believe the bike may have had a bit more in her, but she would have needed a bit of climb time to have reach it, and I didn't want to give it to her. I still don't like traffic tickets. So now I know that my bike, at any rate, will hold a candle with the best of them. But I guess it's just a pride thing anyway. And my curiosity..., well for now its in check.

I don't know what kind of speed they are capable of, but it has more than enough power to get around someone if I am passing them and will cruise easily all day long. I am thinking that is what I need. I have opened it up in the first 3 gears, but back off when I get in 4th.

top speed on most of the liter bikes is around 180. the busa and zx 14 would both be capable of 200 mph but have a 186 mph limit built into the ecu.you can over ride the limiter with a speedo healer.i think the gixxer is the fastest liter bike but just by a hair.my r6 with stock gearing would run 90 in low gear.top speed 160.not bad for a little 35 cubic inch 4 cyl.a briggs and stratton vanguard is a bigger motor.this year the fastest speed at the texas mile was 234 mph by a turbo charged busa on nitros.450 rear wheel hp.the guys dad came back and turned 204 mph and had never been on the bike before.the thing that makes the texas mile so hard is that you have to have enough power to accelerate to 200 mph in the alloted distance before entering the timed mile area.than you have to stop before you run out of pavement.it's at an old airstrip.not to many people top 200mph there.just thought this stuff might interest some of you.:) ps.the bike that turned 234 has 15000 mi. on it and is driven daily on the street,to and from work,

Well I have gotten a lot of answers to my question on how fast the RSV is, but this old man still needs to find out things for himself some times. And though I have not fully answered my own question, I have at least satisified my own curiosity. On Wednesday, I put the bike up to the 120 mark on the speedometer, and she reached that speed quite quickly for a full dresser. I figured that (120) was about as true of a reading as I could get. I believe the bike may have had a bit more in her, but she would have needed a bit of climb time to have reach it, and I didn't want to give it to her. I still don't like traffic tickets. So now I know that my bike, at any rate, will hold a candle with the best of them. But I guess it's just a pride thing anyway. And my curiosity..., well for now its in check.

Actual top speed for a Venture ain't over 115 mph. Anyone who tells you different is full of BS. :no-no-no:

Speedo runs fast.

While we are hearing several good reasons for the speedometer error

factor, some unique to motorcycles, none justify the 9% error I see on

my Venture. 9% seems to be more the norm than the exception with most

metrics.

120 = 109

:bighug:

Speedo runs fast.

120 = 109

Yeah, but Dynos and GPS don't read fast. KWTrains had his dyno'd at 127. Granted there isn't any wind resistance on the dyno so the speed isn't true road condition speed. Stardbog had his GPS reading 117 Mph. That is true road conditions.

i personally think 117 mph is pretty fast when you figure the weight ,size, and the fact that it is only 1300 cc's.if my rstd would do an honest 117 i would'nt complain. it will run 85 in second gear by the speedo before it hits the rev limiter at 7200 rpm.i think thats pretty good.these ain't no race bikes.i think 60 to 70 mph feels just fine on mine.if i want to go fast i get out the big gun. :clap2::2133:

Guest BillFoltz

It does not supprise me at all that there are speedometer errors, nor does it supprise me that there are RSV's that go 137 mph and others that may only go 80 mph. I guess it all depends on if you are running the correct size tires, the bike is running the way it should, or if you have done some kind of carburetor work on it that might affect its preformance. But this I know, my bike sat on the 120 mark of the speedometer. If the speedometer is off at that speed or not I can not tell; I only know what it reads, and I believe it reads true. I think if I pushed it and give it time, I could have gotten some more speed out of her. I also think she got up to the 120 rather quick for a full dresser. The RSV is not a crotch rocket, so it does not zip up there like those kinds of bikes, but I was please with her responsiveness. She also ran down the road as solid as a rock without a wobble at all. My Suzuki Cavalcade would wobble once I would get near 100 mph mark, and I could never get rid of that wobble, but the RSV goes straight and solid.

So if your bike can only go 115, enjoy what it can do. Take pleasure in your scooter, and be safe. Going that kind of speed is fun once in a G-R-E-A-T while, and for me it was just to satisfy my desire to know. Now that I know, I will probably never do it again.

:322:

Good topic,

At High River Alberta RSV/RSTD discussion in July '07 I mentioned that my riding pal 'Seadog" in his 2000 mm RSV @ New Brunswick in '06 accompanying his Michigan Doc brother outran Doc's Valkyrie and according to Seadogs GPS he hit maximum 142 mph! Wow! 73 yrs old too.

A Calgary RSV rider smiled and shook his head, saying his Garmin GPS showed him doing 180 mph on Alberta Hwy 2 (Calgary-Edmonton) and he felt that the engine still had power left but he got nervous. I would question the engineering types to match rev limiter cut-out with these readings from GPS and verifiy possibilities.???? Could the Calgary IRSA member confirm please? /Bilko

Ventures are solid performers when tuned right and ridden properly. Yes!!!

my old wore out 89 vr,145000 miles,did 142 gps top speed on my way to jackson nc two weeks ago,if you don't beleave that ask beer-30

never again

:scared::bang head:

And last year you chased my second gen for 800 miles on that antique and never did pass me.:stirthepot::rotf::rotf::rotf: