IGNORED

so i opened the yamaha tool kit..

Guest seuadr

dont do it guys !! it will be incorect info . trust an old yamaha mech. :innocent:

You may be an old yamaha mechanic, BUT were you a good yamaha mechanic?

Did you ever read a manual?

Page 2-15 shows using the dip stick to check final drive oil level.

My dip stick measures 1 inch to the middle of the two lines.

I am going to go out on a limb here but it is quite obvious that 1st gen ventures used 2 different diff styles. However I feel to make a personal comment such as "but were you a good one" is a little over the top. It would have been much more polite to ask "if the person was sure that this applied to all venture diffs, because according to my manual it states etc. etc. etc.".

Steve obviously has experience in this area far beyond most of us, and I for one appriciate his input. Having said that being a mechanic myself for forty years I have seen even the best of us be mistaken on something, This does not make one a bad mechanic, just a human being. As well I have seen maney error's or misprints in Manual's were one has to make his own judgment call, which is usually based on experience, of which I have no doupt Steve has plenty off

Once again Steve thanks for your input and for the rest, please do not take Steve's warning lightly.

I owned a 79 XS750SF ande it also used this same dipstick. I will go out on a limb and say that the short end of it will work for all Yamaha rear drives from 76 thru 85, as they all used the same housing. The long end works for those 76 to at least 81 Yamaha bikes with a separate middle gear. (XS750, XS850, XS1100)