IGNORED

2010 Voyager blows new Venture away

Eddie

i came very close to buying a new nomad. the bags were the only turnoff for me, a big ugly cutout to clear the rear shock. same as the voyager. did'nt want all the frills since i already have a wing. i ended up buying a 2008 nomad. after a little personalization it is by far the best bike i ever owned bar none. it ain't fast, but it does everything else perfect. i loved the looks of the nomad from the day they came out in the 90's. i would be a little leery of the first year model on the new kaw cuz it is a totally new bike from front to rear. heat seems to be a problem, but the venture gets hot too. i think any time you have leg shields and a radiator it's going to get hot in the summer. there is a 12 second wait to start it after ignition is turned on, the 6th gear is way to high, i may end up with a new nomad down the road if i get the hankerin. never know about me.

Bill

The Nomad is also one of my favorites, you'll be glad you didn't get the 2009 1700cc. They have to get some bugs worked out in the frame, shocks, and the intense heat from the exhaust routing.

The Nomad 1500 and 1600 were great, but you'll have to get a new seat for the 1600. The 1500 had a much better seat.

What kind of warranty do they have?? They look good in the pics, i have not seen one up close. I was shoping for a Nomad when I found the Venture, went with the Venture not knowing anything about it... think I made the right choice..

3 year warranty.

I owned a 2000 Nomad and loved it....fantastic bike. A couple of months ago I was going to trade my '07 RSTD so I test rode a great looking '09 Nomad. After about 10 miles of whine, clunking and vibrating I brought it back and went and traded for an '09 RSV. I totally hate that they are building everything on the V-twin bikes now. I'm afraid that Yamaha might do the same thing with the Venture.....build it on the Stratoliner. Just what we need ANOTHER V-twin ...... phooey. BTW, I also owned an '07 Strat for a short while. Just another v-twin....ho hum.

http://ortasehpa.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/vulcan1700voyager.jpg

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2006models/2006-Yamaha-RoyalStar-Ventureb.jpg

I dunno...something about that Voyager's fairing, lower crash bars and the back of the saddle bags just don't look "right" to me. But the Venture's airboxes and lack of standard fog/aux/passing light don't help it much. It still seems to be a better value because who the hell pays anywhere near retail on a bike with an 11 year design.

I also went and looked at the new Kaw's and I agree with Eddie to a point. After looking closely I also thought "The 2010 Voyager blows". Ain't saying nothing, just saying.

You got it wrong , the 2010 RSV with its new flamer stickers blows. What a cheap thing to do to a nice bike.

I just have a rule I follow, "never buy the first year of ANYTHING". This bike has a lot going for it but it's the first year for the design. That's actually one of the best things about the RSV. They've 'perfected' the platform. I would like to see improvements as well but even if Yamaha came out with a new RSV with all the new stuff I would wait and buy at least the second year of the update.

Just me.

You got it wrong , the 2010 RSV with its new flamer stickers blows. What a cheap thing to do to a nice bike.

Eddie, your posts pretty much tell us that you have made up your mind. You do not need to keep defending your decision. Buy it and ride!

Stopped at a local dealer a couple of weeks ago and they had a Voyager sitting right beside a Venture. Sat on both, diddled around with both and I can honestly say I would love to have either one. Like the looks of the Kawi, frame mounted faring, really liked the dash and controls, and the seat felt a little more comfortable to me than the Venture. I liked the way the Venture felt under me, but I don't like the fork mounted faring. I do like the V4, but I am ready to give up carbs on all of my vehicles (boat, bike and even the lawn mower:crackup:). Of course, if I had money I would own one of everything.

Eddie, your posts pretty much tell us that you have made up your mind. You do not need to keep defending your decision. Buy it and ride!

Yea that!!! Then, after a a little while, YOU can be the EXPERT for that bike!!! We're not going to disown ya or anything like that! Heck, I might even ask you to let me ride it oneday!!! You know this site..., you ride what you brung!!!

Thanks for the permission, the idea of this thead is to see what the guys that have an open mind have to say about this bike.

I just have a rule I follow, "never buy the first year of ANYTHING". This bike has a lot going for it but it's the first year for the design. That's actually one of the best things about the RSV. They've 'perfected' the platform. I would like to see improvements as well but even if Yamaha came out with a new RSV with all the new stuff I would wait and buy at least the second year of the update.

Just me.

This is second time this was referred to as a new bike this year. It came out last year, they updated the braking system and put in a heat sheild since then. I agree with the first year idea.

Eddie said:

2010 Voyager blows new Venture away

What a nice bike . This thing has the all stuff we have been crying about for years. I spent close to an hour with this bike at the show yesterday and can tell you there will be one in my stable shortly.

I watched two Hd guys try to pick this bike apart, they walked away saying "they did it". A modern day Ultra.

Priced with the Venture, not the HD . It a shame that yamaslow is letting this market pass them by.

I love my Midnight but just like to try different things.

Freebird said:

I'm just not hearing great reports from people who have ridden and bought them.

Eddie answered:

Well we all know how that goes, the next guy from a Kaw site could say it's the best bike he's ever had. The sound system alone is enough for me. Since I do 99% of my riding alone the music is my company.

Freebird said:

The Kaw costs “Far more than the RSV. One other thing I noticed was that it requires premium gas.”

Eddie answered:

The Venture showed a price tag just under 20,000 at the show. The base on the Kaw was just under 18000. About 2000 worth of audio acc and your neck and neck.

Eck said:

I have heard from several owners that they shift very hard and "clunk" real loud, and as already mentioned the heat from the engine is unbearable on really hot days.

Eddie answered:

The clunk the whine the vibation the bad shock the oil leak the frame crack. They all got them.

Jerry W said:

The 2010 Voyager blows

Eddie answered:

GaryZ said:

Eddie answers:

Thanks for the permission, the idea of this thead is to see what the guys that have an open mind have to say about this bike.

Loehring says:

never buy the first year of ANYTHING

Eddie answers:

It came out last year

GaryZ says:

Show me your open mind . . . It ain't above

You can find Voyagers less ABS for $14000-15000, you can actually get it slightly cheaper than a new Venture. You can find lightly used 1 or 2 year old Ventures for $10000 everyday in the winter, provided your willing to travel to get it. If I was going to pay $15000 I'd buy a low miles 2 year old Ultra, but then again you have that excessive heat issue in slow traffic. Heat is something that is much less a problem on the Venture, my friends 1600 Nomad gets hotter at low speed than my Venture. Yamaha did a good job with heat diversion.

You can find Electra Glide Standards and Road Kings for less than $11,000, some much less.

Nomads for $6000.

Now is a good time to buy used

After riding all of these touring bikes, some many miles, including BMW, I am convinced the Venture was the most comfortable and best bargain.

I really like the looks of the Voyager. In fact, I like everything about it. But, when I opened the trunk lid and the bags...UHOH. Lots of flex, bending and twisting. These things are really thin. Will they hold up after a few years? I don't think so...