IGNORED

Hesitates when I accelerate

When I am accelerating from a complete stop my bike hesitates when I release the clutch. The only way I can prevent this is to rev the engine a bit before I release the clutch. I have had the carbs synched by two different dealers with the same end result. One dealer has suggested that the carbs are dirty and they will gladly pull and clean them for $340. I told him that I can't believe a 3 year old bike with only 7500 miles needs the carbs cleaned.

Scott

06 RSTD

When I am accelerating from a complete stop my bike hesitates when I release the clutch. The only way I can prevent this is to rev the engine a bit before I release the clutch. I have had the carbs synched by two different dealers with the same end result. One dealer has suggested that the carbs are dirty and they will gladly pull and clean them for $340. I told him that I can't believe a 3 year old bike with only 7500 miles needs the carbs cleaned.

Scott

06 RSTD

Have you tried running some SeaFoam thru it?

7500 miles is very little for 3 yrs old ... that indicates it's been possibly sitting a lot ... so the carbs could be gummed up.

Also, maybe the idle speed is too low.

If the carbs need cleaning, try seafoam first. There are many threads here regarding its use and how well it does. Also, it's possible that someone nearby you that has a synch tool can check your carbs out for you. Many of the people on here have had to redo a synch that a dealership does.

Grab some B12 Chemtool or Seafoam and put the entire can in the full tank. Run it like you hate it and let it set over night. Run it again and fill it back up with fresh gas. If you have to park it remember to treat the gas before you put her to bed. Now dont take this wrong, but did you actually see the levels when the carbtune was done? I dont trust ANY dealer and there are many here that took it to the dealer to have it carbtuned and when 1 of us tested it, it was wrong

:2cents:

Just about what Squid said. But I would add one thing. It only takes one tank of crapy gas and you got problems. Sea-Foam and time will cure most of these. I once pulled the nozzel off the pump, already had my cap off turned it towards my tank and dumped a big handfull of dirt all over the top of my tank with a lot of it going into the tank. Took a while to clear that one up just because of some smarta**.

Just about what Squid said. But I would add one thing. It only takes one tank of crapy gas and you got problems. Sea-Foam and time will cure most of these. I once pulled the nozzel off the pump, already had my cap off turned it towards my tank and dumped a big handfull of dirt all over the top of my tank with a lot of it going into the tank. Took a while to clear that one up just because of some smarta**.

I never heard of that one before... :bang head:

With 14+ inches of snow on the ground I can tell you that the bike is officially tucked away for a long winters sleep. Thanks to all of your great feedback I will hold off pulling the carbs myself and try some of your suggestions.

I bought the 3 year old bike last spring with just over 900 miles on it from a Suzy dealer. I was told that they had gone through the carbs and honestly I do not recall the problem until I took the bike in for a warranty issue and had them synch the carbs and set the idle speed. That's why I had another dealer double-check the synch again. I will try the sea foam recommendations and it wouldn't hurt to change the plugs as well. Sounds like maybe the idle speed might be set a little low as well.

Thanks for the responses!