IGNORED

New 2006 RSTD Break - In

Ok I got the new Bike home and I have a few Questions about the breaking in.

It says in the manual not to give it more then 1/3 throttle for the first 600 Miles. Is there a certain speed not to go over?

I've put 75 miles on it and I've had it up to 60 is that bad?

There's no tach So I guess I can't keep it under certain RPMs.

It's a new bike and I don't want to F*** it up by not breaking it in right.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

bike has low rev limiters which will cut-out like it's missing till you get back below limiter. if you read the history and tech pages in the home pages it'll give you a better idea of things to listen and look for during riding. i was told by the dealer i got mine from to keep it under 50 and vary the speed for avout 50 miles and then ride it like you are going to normally ride it from then-on. i did my first oil change at 1025miles and at 4,000 miles i went to mobil1 syn oil and now have over 72,000 miles on it without any problems. if you are a little mechancally inclined you can do most of your own regular maintenance on it. try to look for meet and eats, and mainteance days in your area to learn more about our members and what to do on your bike. at most rallies we have a day or two to work on bikes and all are welcome to attend. the motors are really bullet-proof if maintained regularly.

You will get varying opinions on this Q.

Mine is ... I believe they say 1/3 throttle so that you are not loading up the engine too much.

1. Do not lug the engine...it is not a V-twin ... it needs rpm's

2. Do not keep it at the same rpm for extended period ... vary the rpm ... use the gears.

3. 60 mph won't hurt it ... nor will 70 ... probably not even 80. Vary the speed & rpm when in 5th or for that matter, any gear.

4. Do not lug the engine ... I know I said that already... I mean it.

These engines are bullet-proof... there's not much you can do to hurt them.

Once you're over the 600 and had your 1st service, just go out and drive it like you would any other new vehicle that you RESPECT.

Short Answer, ride it briefly within the first 50 mls and don't put too much load on the Engine(1/3 rd Throttle), after that, start to get on it in short Burst and lots of Motor decel. DO NOT BABY the Motor.

The Task is to get the Rings properly seated into the Cylinder Walls and while you let the Bike coasting down, the Fillings will be sucked away from the Cylinder Walls by the Vaccuum which is created under decel.

Here's the Procedure described in a very hard Manner, it did my '09 VMAX at about half the Brutalitiy and it pulls like Freight Train. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Another Key is change the Oil early. Say, first Change at 150 mls, then again at 600 mls and a third change at 1000 mls. Of course, use only cheap non synthetic Oil. I'd change the final Drive Oil every Time i change the Engine Oil during Break-In.

I probably had the ideal breakin. It was 500 miles from the dealer's location to my home. Mostly a 55 mph 2 lane road thru numerous small towns with slow downs and stop signs so the rpms were varied up and down a bit and there were a couple stretches of 65mph speed limit. I just never grabbed the throttle and twisted it open, easy acceleration up to cruising speed generally, but a a few fast accelerations as dictated by normal traffic flow and passing other vehicles.

+1 on changing the rear drive gear oil frequently while the bike is new. I got a LOT of metal particles on the magnet at the end of the drain plug the first 3 times I changed the gear oil. And of course, use a new filter with each oil change. There are several articles here which list the compatible filters and some pros-cons of each.

And spend a few rainy days at the computer reading the 2nd Gen and Tour Deluxe tech articles and library. Find the online service manual for the RSV posted here and download it. Register at https://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/myyamaha/login/ and you can download or access service guides for your bike.

And don't forget to get your 2010 Star calendar... http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43344&highlight=calendar

See you at some of the M&E's