IGNORED

CB / Radio Freeze

Bugsplat

Twice in the past month I have experienced what I will call a cb/radio freeze on my 06 RSV. I always ride with my cb on to communicate with my riding partner. During the ride I decided to turn the radio on to listen to some tunes but nothing would work? The unit remained functional on the cb channel selected but I could not change the channel, turn on the radio or even turn everything off. The only function that worked was the volume control. When the ignition switch had been turned off during a gas stop upon restarting the bike the unit functioned normally again. Did not take it to the dealer since everything was working fine but now it has happened once again. Anyone else ever experience this radio/cb freeze up?

My '08 did the same several times untill i got into the fairing after taking it to the dealer several times. Mine was not grounding properly at the plug ends for the radio, cb, int. Quick, dilectrict grease and a little pressure and have been good since. 16000 trouble free listening miles. Probably a bad connection at one of the grounds for the radio system.

Good luck.

Thanks again. I will check all connections. This forum is by far the best! Now if Yamaha will get off their butts and add ABS and EFI to the Venture I think we would all be a lot happier. If they keep drag their feet much longer their market will have all changed over to GW's or Victory's. IMHO

Problems like that are not uncommon on this bike, and there are two main causes. First, several people have already commented on the potential fix of re-seating all the plugs and using dielectric grease on the pins. I have personally seen similar radio problems on several RSVs caused by this exact issue - surface oxidation on the plug contacts that can be solved by unplugging/replugging the connections and further prevented by the use of dielectric grease. If you notice the problems are worse when the temperatures are very low, then it is almost certainly this problem.

But your description also sounds very similar (though not exact) to what I have labeled as a design flaw in the radios.

The problem from this design flaw ONLY happens if you have both the radio and CB on at the same time when you shut off the ignition. When you turn it back on, a timing issue in the two units powering up will sometimes cause the control head to stop functioning properly. The exact symptom that I have duplicated on at least four Ventures is that all buttons will be non-functional, and while in normal radio mode, the volume control will ONLY adjust the CB volume (indicated by a "c" in the display when changing the volume) - of course it should not be possible to change the CB volume when the display is showing normal radio, but that is what happens. This problem can only be fixed by momentarily turning off EITHER radio, then turning it back on, after which all is fine.

Because it is an intermittent problem, and there is absolutely NO indication that it is even happening unless you just happen to try to adjust the volume or use one of the other control buttons at some point after you have restarted the bike (perhaps hundreds of miles later), it is possible you have experienced this and never even known it. It took me about three years to finally observe and test enough things to be able to isolate the symptoms and causes as described above, and that was only possible because I do so much touring and use both radios together a lot of the time I am on the road.

And because it is an intermittent problem, it is almost impossible to reproduce in such a way as to have it properly documented with your dealer. And even if they could see it and agree to it, if it is actually a design flaw as I maintain, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that either they or Yamaha can reasonably do to fix it. Yes, Yamaha should have sorted that out many years ago, but it just ain't gonna happen now on a 10-year-old design. Now that I know what it is, I find it only a minor annoyance to briefly turn off one of the radios when I noticer the issue. Hope that helps,

Goose

Just had the control module on the handle bars replaced for pretty much the same situation. Here are the symptums I had, when I would first crank the bike, everything was great and all would work just fine, but after I would start riding the buttons stopped working, if I would stop and turn off the bike then recrank after a minute or so everything worked again until I would start riding. Took the bike to the dealer and explained the issue, they looked it over and replaced the control unit under warranty, I had this done while I waited once they got the part yesterday and on the way home last night I tested the buttons at different speeds and it all worked. Mine started with just having this issue with both radio and CB going, but the past couple of weeks I have not turned the CB on and was still having the issue.

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread. I have the same problem. I do not use the CB and I had similar issues. The only item on the radio that would work was the volume. It has lasted for weeks. I have had it to the dealer (under warranty) and they have split the fairing and did the dielectric grease and it works for a while the problem returns. When I have the problem and turn off the bike and start it again it does not fix the problem. One time it was not working and I was going to the dealership and on the way it started working OK.

This last fall I had it at the dealership and they mentioned if it happened again they would change out the module. This was last fall before I but the 07 Venture to bed for the winter.

Now the dealership closed so now I have to try and work with a new dealer.

Hope your problem gets fixed and it stays fixed.