IGNORED

Opinions on clutch issue

Several weeks ago I went out for a day long ride and the Venture clutch was acting up. When I started it and put it in gear with the clutch in the bike would try and roll. If I held the brake in it would kill the bike. I had much trouble getting into neutral as well. I took it into the shop thinking the clutch cable had gone bad. They called the next day saying the fluid was dirty and needed changing but the clutch was fine. Skip to the last 2 days. The wife gave me her blessings for me to take a 3 day ride starting yesterday and coming back on Monday. My goal was to tour WV and southern Va. On both cold mornings (Sat and Sun) the clutch was way too easy to depress when I forst started. When started it would try and take off as soon as I started it and put it in gear, even with the clutch depressed. I had to pump the clutch for a couple minutes today until it felt somewhat normal. I took off thinking all was well. I stopped 30 minutes later to look at something and noticed the bike was trying to roll with the bike in first gear and me clutching the clutch lever. I decided to turn around and come home. Within another hour the clutch was working great andnot a single problem with it.

Anyone ever experience anything like this?

Wayne,

If you want to hook up this weekend and make sure the clutch was bleed properly let me know. Either saturday after 12noon or anytime sunday. I have already replaced a PCW kit on my and other ventures. So we could bleed off the lines and then see if you need a new spring. Once its ordered I could shoot up you way and in about 45mins have the new one in. let me know.

I'm going to take a wild shot at this. It doesn't sound like a problem with the spring.

Assuming they changed the fluid correctly and bled the system correctly, they may have filled the reserviour too full. What can happen is, as everything heats up, there is no room for the fluid to expand. Therefore, the clutch stays partially engaged. Once it cools down, the clutch works fine.

It is something easy to check.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

RR

I'm going to take a wild shot at this. It doesn't sound like a problem with the spring.

Assuming they changed the fluid correctly and bled the system correctly, they may have filled the reserviour too full. What can happen is, as everything heats up, there is no room for the fluid to expand. Therefore, the clutch stays partially engaged. Once it cools down, the clutch works fine.

It is something easy to check.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

RR

RR,

My issue with it not working though has been the last 2 days where it was around freezing. Once everything was all warmed up it seemed to work fine. No mechanic here so just throwing things back at you guys.

If you want to try a simple fix, pull the clutch handle all the way in to the bars, then let it out about an inch now wire tie it in that position and let it sit for a day or so. Any air in the system will work its way to the MC. I bet it helps your problem, if not it didnt cost you a dime. Good Luck Craig

RR,

My issue with it not working though has been the last 2 days where it was around freezing. Once everything was all warmed up it seemed to work fine. No mechanic here so just throwing things back at you guys.

Got it. That would likely preclude my potential solution.

RR

I talked to one of the mechanics today by phone and explained what was happening. He remembers my bike and has a couple ideas on what the problem is. This is a new dealership and he did something none other has. He basically admitted that maybe they misdiagnosed it the first time and that of course they will do the work with all money spent on the first repair going to the new fix. I realize it's the right thing to do anyway but how many of us have been to shops where they would do anything possible to find something different and charge you even more. For those in the area Coleman's comes to mind.

Riderduke. I may not need to meet with you on Saturday now. I'm taking the bike in and hopefully will have it back by Friday. If you, Longing_4_South_Carolina and any others close by want to get together for a meet and greet on Saturday around 1PM or so I'm game. I'll even come down your way.

Yeah, I read your first post and your problem isn't that the clutch is slipping, but rather it's not disengaging. Usually this is caused by air in the line. Once the air in the line/slave heats up it builds enough pressure to actuate the slave when the lever is pulled back.. If there were some way to turn the bars all the way to the right so the reserve is as high as it'll go, and then stand the bike up straight with a lift or??, the air may bleed off over night?? It would be better to somehow tilt the bike to the right, but that's asking too much on a 2ndGen. I know the rest of the guys get tired of me preaching about reverse bleeding the clutch to get all the air out, but if all else fails, that's the best way to get'r done.

Yeah. The mechanic talked about the slave issue and thinks this might be the culprit. (Whatever this is) Also talked about a worse case situation needing a rebuild kit for the master cylinder which he didn't believe based on our conversation on the phone.

Yeah. The mechanic talked about the slave issue and thinks this might be the culprit. (Whatever this is) Also talked about a worse case situation needing a rebuild kit for the master cylinder which he didn't believe based on our conversation on the phone.

I highly doubt the slave needs to be rebuilt on a 2004 RSV. Tell 'm to get the air out. :)

Riderduke. I may not need to meet with you on Saturday now. I'm taking the bike in and hopefully will have it back by Friday. If you, Longing_4_South_Carolina and any others close by want to get together for a meet and greet on Saturday around 1PM or so I'm game. I'll even come down your way.

I game also. Maybe someplace on Garrisonville Rd? I think thats about Half way between? there is a new place next to the Mcd's outside of Aquia Harbor on RT1 and Garrisonville that I've been meaning to try! let me know! i wouldn't have a problem riding up to Woodbridge but Potomic Mills area s**ks this time of year

I game also. Maybe someplace on Garrisonville Rd? I think thats about Half way between? there is a new place next to the Mcd's outside of Aquia Harbor on RT1 and Garrisonville that I've been meaning to try! let me know! i wouldn't have a problem riding up to Woodbridge but Potomic Mills area s**ks this time of year

That area is fine with me. Just provide a name and address and time you can be there.