IGNORED

PS3 or Xbox 360 ?

SilvrT

Which one should I get?

I like to play race car games and anything that flies... simulator's, fighters, helicopters. Also I understand the PS3 has a better quality Blue-ray / DVD player...??

What's your experience guys/gals/kids ??

What about the Wii ??

Which one should I get?

I like to play race car games and anything that flies... simulator's, fighters, helicopters. Also I understand the PS3 has a better quality Blue-ray / DVD player...??

What's your experience guys/gals/kids ??

What about the Wii ??

My kids have the PS3 and its been good so far plays movies,games well. Depends if you have kids mine complain that some of there friends have x360 and they cant play online against them because of the different systems. Wii is a whole different kind of gaming from what I know more whole body active less violent games. If you want death and destruction I would go for PS3 or X360 if you want some nice mellow family games then Wii.

My kids have the PS3 and its been good so far plays movies,games well. Depends if you have kids mine complain that some of there friends have x360 and they cant play online against them because of the different systems. Wii is a whole different kind of gaming from what I know more whole body active less violent games. If you want death and destruction I would go for PS3 or X360 if you want some nice mellow family games then Wii.

hmmmmmmm... really? according to what I've read and what the sales people tell me, PS3 has free on-line gaming whereas xbox costs money...??

That doesn't matter much to me tho ... and there's only 2 kids in our house... me and Nina .. LOL

I'd say go for the xbox 360, microsoft has excellent customer support, plus the games are better, and the online is more reliable than sony's so its worth the extra cash. Plus you dont have to download every game to your hard drive. You can get netflix, facebook. twitter, last FM and alot of other stuff from xbox too, the one thing i dont like, is that it doesn't have an internet browser

Well, I'm not into games, but my sons are into them a lot. Just from experience with them and their gaming,they have totally smoked 2 xbox 360s and are now playing ps3's with no problems so far. They play online with each other and with people all over. The blue ray DVD has an awsome picture.

Well, here is my story...

To start out, all of our kids are out of the house, just the wife & I so we can afford more toys. So, We went out and bought a nice 55" LCD Flat Screen TV.

After about a week later I figured that since I had this killer TV and the kids took their video games with them, I asked which had the best 'driving' game. One that the cars don't corner like they are on rails and handle more realistically. I don't want to play any 'missions' I just want to tear around town stealing cars and running from the cops.

They all told me to get the PS3 and latest 'Grand Theft Auto'. So, I headed to the store and spent $300 for the PS3 and another $50 for the game.

I got it home and set it all up and started playing and pretty soon, I noticed that my stomach started getting sour and I felt a headache coming on. So I kept playing anyway and pretty soon it got so bad that I just HAD to quit playing. I was so sick, I had to go to bed for the rest of the day.

The next day, I felt better and decided to start playing my game again. Sure enough, before long I started getting sick with a headache again. - OH NO!! - It just CAN'T be the game!!

Since then, I have discovered that if I eat something before I play, I can play for up to 45min before I have to stop.

So, there you have it. I spent $350 for a game that makes me sick!!

As far as the game, it is GREAT!! The graphics are great, the cars handle great. I highly recommed it if you are into driving games. (I hope it doesn't make you sick also).

craigr

In my experience with questions like these the replies will come out 50/50 and you're still stuck with the same question. :D

The PS3 is more versitile since it is also a Blu-Ray player but stand alone BR players are becoming quite inexpensive now.

The Xbox 360 (what my kids have) has great quality, online gaming (for a price), lots of games and good support but can't play Blu-Ray discs. So depends on your usage really.

Most racing games today make me want to throw either game station out the window...

If you enjoy playing online XBox 360 is the way to go. Nothing beats Xbox live for a great online experiance. Remember though that there is a subscription fee of about $60 per year. Also XBox has the best library of games. PS3 is a more versitile machine but online play is not nearly as robust and the game libary not nearly as good.

I am a gamer, and I prefer the PC. With a good PC, and video card, the games look just as good as they do on the consoles. I also use a big widescreen monitor.

A game called "Grid" is the best looking driving game out...it looks like real video.

I fly alot in a WWII simulator called "IL-2 Sturmovik 1946", and fly with people from all over the world.

Having a keyboard, mouse or trackball, you have many more control options. I also own a joystick/throttle and rudder pedals. You can also buy a steering wheel and brake/gas setup for PC.

Just my opinion.

I am a gamer, and I prefer the PC. With a good PC, and video card, the games look just as good as they do on the consoles. I also use a big widescreen monitor.

A game called "Grid" is the best looking driving game out...it looks like real video.

I fly alot in a WWII simulator called "IL-2 Sturmovik 1946", and fly with people from all over the world.

Having a keyboard, mouse or trackball, you have many more control options. I also own a joystick/throttle and rudder pedals. You can also buy a steering wheel and brake/gas setup for PC.

Just my opinion.

That's very interesting. Personally I have never had a lot of luck with PC games. I have a good joystick, used to have the steering wheel/pedals. Had several games... Need for speed, Jetfighter, MS Flight sim, Falcon 4, Moto GP, and a bunch of others including Apache AH64. Most of them I had various problems with. Mostly getting the game controllers to work. Sometimes they would, other times not. Some games would simply either not load or they'd lock up the PC. Last year I bought a new PC... faster, better video card (for gaming), etc etc... it came with Windows Vista ... Practically none of the games would work except Apache AH64, MS Flight sim ... couldn't get the steering wheel to work properly nohow. Got PO'd and threw most everything out. Jetfighter4 never did work no matter what I tried...even on the old computer. I'm very hesitant to buy anything again because I don't want to waste the money. Figgured a dedicated system such as a PS3 would be money better spent.

Just my opinion.

Downloading both to check 'em out.

Are you downloading the actual 1946, or one of the other IL-2 Sturmoviks? 1946 is the latest, and is waaaaaay better than its' predecessors.

There is a new one coming out soon, also.

If you have problems installing it or playing it with Vista, let me know, and I will point you in the right direction. DO NOT install ANY games under program files in Vista. For game to work properly, you need to create a generic directory, such as c:/games. Program files is write-protected in Vista, so any changes you make will not stay(profiles, keymapping, etc...).

Are you downloading the actual 1946, or one of the other IL-2 Sturmoviks? 1946 is the latest, and is waaaaaay better than its' predecessors.

There is a new one coming out soon, also.

If you have problems installing it or playing it with Vista, let me know, and I will point you in the right direction. DO NOT install ANY games under program files in Vista. For game to work properly, you need to create a generic directory, such as c:/games. Program files is write-protected in Vista, so any changes you make will not stay(profiles, keymapping, etc...).

the 1946 one..

Write protected??? not on my machine. Anyhoo, I already have a \Games folder where those things go.

Thanks M8T

If you have problems installing it or playing it with Vista, let me know, and I will point you in the right direction. DO NOT install ANY games under program files in Vista.

Got it downloaded, installed, etc ... run the game... doesn't recognize keyboard or mouse...?? can't seem to get to the patches web page... unavailable.

Lots of help right here.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/49310655

If you don't get it, PM me, and I'll try to help after I get home later. Gotta go work on my Dads' van.

Which is exactly why most people buy consoles, they don't want help to get a game to work, they just want it to work the first try.

Personally I have found that unless you have a dedicated game PC there is always a chance a new game will cause problems that will stop you from using your computer for other things you made need it for.

I have an Xbox 360 and so does my son, he got his the first day they were released. (He sat in line all night to get it.) I got mine three months after first release. I only play occasionally but he plays his all the time. Mine still works fine and his quit working last week, but because it gave the known RROD (red ring of death) hardware symptom from the first release Microsoft is suppose to fix it for free or at least a reduced rate.

As far as what they do, IMHO if you like PC style games and/or strategy games the Xbox 360 is a better platform, if you are into the newer RPG games the PS3 is the better platform. For simulations the XBox started out better but now both are about the same.

Which is exactly why most people buy consoles, they don't want help to get a game to work, they just want it to work the first try.

Personally I have found that unless you have a dedicated game PC there is always a chance a new game will cause problems that will stop you from using your computer for other things you made need it for.

I have an Xbox 360 and so does my son, he got his the first day they were released. (He sat in line all night to get it.) I got mine three months after first release. I only play occasionally but he plays his all the time. Mine still works fine and his quit working last week, but because it gave the known RROD (red ring of death) hardware symptom from the first release Microsoft is suppose to fix it for free or at least a reduced rate.

As far as what they do, IMHO if you like PC style games and/or strategy games the Xbox 360 is a better platform, if you are into the newer RPG games the PS3 is the better platform. For simulations the XBox started out better but now both are about the same.

That's what happened to my sons xbox's. Although they fixed them at the reduced rate, it still cost a small fortune to get it there and back and it took a while to get them back. Then the fix didn't last for long. My son said that there are some fixes on You Tube to try. Just go to You Tube and type in" xbox fix", then go to either the "Penney fix" or the "x clamp fix". There is one where they tell you to wrap it in a towel then turn it on and let it over heat, but that only lasts temporally. The others mentioned above will last much longer.

Well, you just can't get the accurate simulations like 1946 with Xbox or PS3. There is a dumbed down version of it called IL-2 Birds of Prey for the two consoles, but it is no where near as historic or functional as the PC version. If you like arcadey flight games, then consoles are for you.

SilvrT, yes, 1946 actually includes Pacific Fighters, as well as Several other games from the IL-2 series, all rolled into one. LOTS more planes and maps.

Well, you just can't get the accurate simulations like 1946 with Xbox or PS3. There is a dumbed down version of it called IL-2 Birds of Prey for the two consoles, but it is no where near as historic or functional as the PC version. If you like arcadey flight games, then consoles are for you.

SilvrT, yes, 1946 actually includes Pacific Fighters, as well as Several other games from the IL-2 series, all rolled into one. LOTS more planes and maps.

The game is great... very realisting flying and graphics are real good.

I downloaded the demo of GRID but it's a real resources HOG...runs extremely slow. I couldn't even get past the creation of a new profile...came up with an error.

hmmmmmmm... really? according to what I've read and what the sales people tell me, PS3 has free on-line gaming whereas xbox costs money...??

That doesn't matter much to me tho ... and there's only 2 kids in our house... me and Nina .. LOL

Im not sure you understood what I said. Being 2 different systems they are not compatible to play against each other. One kid somewhere with a PS3 cant play online against a kid playing on an Xbox. Even though they both are playing the same game like a Call of Duty which both systems have they can not play against each other online.

Yes PS3 so far has been free online gaming.

• 1 month later...

Just my opinion.

Monty ... just an update... I downloaded IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 ... it's great ... been spending a lot of time with it.

Another one I found that is free which I really like is Free Falcon 5.

It's an F16 jet ... takes quite a bit of learning tho...

You can get it here...

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/falcon-4-general-discussion/135096-free-falcon-5-out.html

and the upgrade from version 1 to 3 here...

[ame=http://www.freefalcon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16562]FreeFalcon5.3 Upgrade - FreeFalcon[/ame]