IGNORED

1982 yamaha maxim

oldgoat

hello every one. does any one know anything about these bikes. my next door neighbor is moving to AZ luck sob. well he has 4 bikes and said to me. i just cant take them all. then said theres a old yamaha maxim. 750cc. that i just dont want to take. it has 22.000 miles on it. has not been run in over 8 years. he made me a offer i could not refuse. he said its yours!! just go down to the dmv with me today. pay the transfer. and get new plates. i said damn its a deal. i got a fair looking bike for around $135.00 its now sitting next to my venture. ok seeing as it hasent been running for 8 years when my knee heals. im going to work on this bike as a possible bike for the girlfriend. its a low seat bike. . and shes short. i opened the gas cap and phewwwwwww. the varnish smell knocked me over LOL. i am not going to atempt to start this bike. with out draining the tank. the carb bowls. the fuel filter and maybe the petcock? and theres some rust around the inside of the tank. maybe cream it? all in all it looks like a good starter bike for her. shes going to take the motorcycle safety course. she does know how to operate dirt bikes so i think she will do just fine.

where in illinois are you ? oldgoat?

the tanks on that bike are known to rust out around the petcock, so look at that before making other repairs.

let me know if you need any help, these bikes are very easy to work on, and will make a good starter machine for your s/o .

mike

I would say with that old a bike that has just been sitting, I would just buy all new jets and replace them all.

Great engine, same as the Seca engine.. Shim in bucket, similar to the Royal Star, I think it even uses the same shims. Different tool to hold the bucket down though.

update found out the tank is dry. no gas in there but has that funny varnish smell. a friend pulled the carbs off took them over to his house, called and said there dry. but. looks like a good rebuild might be in order. we then looked inside the throw over jc whitney saddle bags that came with the bike. and got another suprise. there in a small plastic bag from a yamaha shop. where what looks like carb kits? in the bag are needles. gaskets and stuff. i called the neighbor and he said he was going to do the carbs about 4 years ago. and did buy some carb stuff wasent sure where he put them. but is glad i found them. also a locking chain in there. extra fuses. complete tool kit. gee its looking like xmas. ok now dumb question whats that pri. on the petcock. im thinking you got to prime the carbs? and how the heck do you get the seat off? my friend is going to work on it for me as my girlfriend is his sister. but he said he just cant handle doing the work on the venture. i think this is going to be a fun project.:big-grin-emoticon:

To get the seat off use the key and on the right rear of the seat is a lock. turn the key one way and it will unlock the helmet lock. Turn it the other way and it unlocks the seat. then push the lever behind the lock and on the other side of the seat and the seat will lift off.

You will enjoy riding the bike as much as your girlfriend. :thumbsup2:

I would hope he enjoys riding the girlfriend more than the bike. :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

Forgive me folks, but it's a play on words I couldn't leave alone. Probably should have added is going to to the end of the sentence.

That motorcycle has a vacuum petcock. In "ON" or "RES" fuel should only flow if there is intake vacuum. As Dan said "PRI" flows all the time, and is used for filling dry carburetors. Since it's a gravity feed system that is a safety to keep the fuel in the tank if the floats stick or leak.

As someone else posted you need to get over to xjbikes.com. Lots of young folks over there that think they know everything but there are others that know what they're talking about. In particular there is a member on there (chacal) that sells and specializes in XJ parts. His prices are better than dealer prices and he stocks the stuff. I usually have parts from him the 2nd day after the order and I only pay for the slow shipping.

Great bikes, but not sure I'd agree with you on being low. They stand pretty tall compated to some other 750s.

Oh, the model of your bike is XJ750J. It'll come up.

Oldgoat,

All I've riden for the past 28 yrs is an xj1100 (82&84) and my wifes last bike was an 82 xj650. I don't claim to know it all by any means but I may be able to if you want to drop a pm at any time. I have the maintenance manual for the 1100 so there is no doubt a lot of similarities.

WRT the tank and carbs......the advise you have rec'd so far is bang on. WRT the fuel valve you may want to physically remove it (2 screws hold it), clean the screen and actually open the valve up. There should be two rubber pieces, make sure they're in good shape and once you have it all cleaned up, lubricate the rubber before you reassemble it all. Trust me it'll be worth the little effort it takes.

It's a great machine, you may end up keeping it yourself as a short distance, fun ride.

my friend cleaned it up. pulled the petcock like everyone here said to do. checked the screen. and gaskets. a little rusty. not bad? had the tank done cleaned and creamed. cost $60 bucks he works at a kawasaki place. mechanic there. thought that was a good price? we got new plugs $15 new battery $40 . keep in mind we just want to get it running it need tires too but its winter. and cold as heck in the gargage.

tonight he went over to bro-inlaws reinstalled every thing. put in fresh gas. hit the starter. it cranked over. about 4 times he said and fired right up.

but throttle response is off some? at arond 2000 rpms he said it flogs?

hes going over this weekend with a mercury manometer. and doing a carb sync. he said james that bike is going to be a sweet ride:dancefool: and maybe just you and sis that my girlfriend his sister just might want to ride this scoot and go over the venture slowly?

man you just dont get friends and bargains like that any more except from this site.

its up and running. it got into the mid 50,s here today. so we fired it up and he got the carbs sync. took it out for a good ride. i follwed in the cager. due to knee problem. he drove it about 100 miles. not a hic cup out of it. he did say that. it wants to wander some mostly due to mismatched tires. they got lots of tread but 8 years sitting? ones a yoko something and other is asomething starting with looks like a c? its in the back.. so being me knee brace and all i just could not resist. and took off on it. rode it down the highway. got it up to 65mph. and thought hey nice run around bike. shaft drive. shifts smooth. but a little soft on the rear. my ex neighbor was around 140 pounds. im 240? hmm? all in all this is going to be a fun bike. now time to save up and do the venture.. i got some good info on some shops close by for the venture. but what i can do my self i will. like the plugs. stuff like that. i just cant bend down much now. knee wont let me. so im sitting with rotors all of them that needs to be put on.. new brake pads., and tires. to be installed. on the venture. and maybe a carb cleaning and sync. just looking to see what this will cost me. in the spring time?

Gotta watch those old tires. I sold a Maxim to a guy (as a project bike) with old tires. He got it fired up and the front tire came apart on him. Fortunately he wasn't hurt.

Those narrow front tires are much more prone to follow road features than the wider tires on the Ventures. It was bad enough on my 650 that I would avoid lane changes to the inside on a curve, the expansion joints felt like they wanted to pull the bike away from me. Tar snakes would run it all over the road.

Oldgoat,

WRT your last entry, two points.

First.....do yourself a really big favor, get ride of those tires. Mismatched tires are not good at the best of times but tires that are 8 yrs old.......Put new rubber on it.

Second, not sure if you realize but the maxim has air adjustable, dampner suspension front and back. You should be able to add air to both front and rear shocks, adjust the dampning and have a better ride with a passenger.