IGNORED

More Payments

FROG MAN

From time to time it is necessary to negotiate payments with bill collectors. I am talking about those unexpected medical bills that can pile up from just a few visits to the clinic.I have learned to negotiate quickly with these people since they have the power to file judgments,garnish wages, and even send out private investigators to find you and your assets.

Our major medical insurance is just that. Major medical with a $2500 deductible per person. So those normal routine services and minor medical procedures are billable.I called today and negotiated a payment plan for 3 accounts from last month.The good news is these negotiated payments are interest free.The bad news is I'm paying for inflated services. After all a clinic is a business and those who don't pay and have nothing of value their loss is past on to me. At least thats the way I see it.Nothing like unexpected bills to crash the budget.

Without going into deep dark waters here, all can say is, current Govt. regulated health care reform proposals are not the answer. The answer is to regulate health care costs, that means the medical industry, the drug companies and the insurance industry need to be under strict control. If current proposals are passed, health care costs will rise as all three industries will have a whole new market to rape.

My 2cents

Renne

Without going into deep dark waters here, all can say is, current Govt. regulated health care reform proposals are not the answer. The answer is to regulate health care costs, that means the medical industry, the drug companies and the insurance industry need to be under strict control. If current proposals are passed, health care costs will rise as all three industries will have a whole new market to rape.

My 2cents

Renne

aw crap, I had to read your response twice to figger out what you just said....

My understanding of what you just posted is that you believe that the current recommendations of regulating the health care industry are bad, but instead, they need to come up with even MORE regulations and restrictions?

Really? Is that what I'm reading here?

From time to time it is necessary to negotiate payments with bill collectors. I am talking about those unexpected medical bills that can pile up from just a few visits to the clinic.I have learned to negotiate quickly with these people since they have the power to file judgments,garnish wages, and even send out private investigators to find you and your assets.

Our major medical insurance is just that. Major medical with a $2500 deductible per person. So those normal routine services and minor medical procedures are billable.I called today and negotiated a payment plan for 3 accounts from last month.The good news is these negotiated payments are interest free.The bad news is I'm paying for inflated services. After all a clinic is a business and those who don't pay and have nothing of value their loss is past on to me. At least thats the way I see it.Nothing like unexpected bills to crash the budget.

I feel your pain as I am in the same situation. Since my wife's stroke in February-09 I have shelled out over $25K for the Co-Pay ......and I think the light at the end of a tunnel is surely a train.

Boomer......who's giving thought to becoming an Illegal Alien but can't bear the thought of being called Poncho Boomer.

Man.... I can't imagine having to pay these prices. I am SO glad that I retired from the Navy and lived to be 65. With Tricare for Life and Medicare I don't have to pay for anything. And to think I was gonna quit the Navy with 14 yrs in....thank God I didn't. And I pay $115 per quarter for insurance for my wife and kid. I consider myself very fortunate when it comes to medical stuff.

PONCHO BOOMER?? Has a certain ring to it!!

I bet in the end we all end up paying more. A few years ago retirement looked good.

Now that the Insurance Companies have got me (and I have yet to have a accident that was anything close to my fault) I might have to go back to work.

All those years of babysitting..... wonder what kind of job I can get??

I guess I am spoiled because I live in Canada and we have universal health care. I know there is alot of controversy in the US about health care right now, but I just can not imagine worrying about paying bills for doctor visits, hospital stays and needed operations! The whole idea is so strange to me as I was raised in our system. I wish you all the best of luck and good health and I hope things get better for you folks in the future.

I'm lucky my bills are insignificant compared to what some people deal with. I to remember when insurance took care of most everything. The new trend is high insurance premiums and high deductibles.One of the largest monthly bills I have is for health care premiums for insurance I have never used. My future retirement plans are quickly becoming only dreams, thanks to set backs with my 401k, and the thought of future health care. Here is to the future of affordable health care and thanks for keeping this thread non political.

Man.... I can't imagine having to pay these prices. I am SO glad that I retired from the Navy and lived to be 65. With Tricare for Life and Medicare I don't have to pay for anything. And to think I was gonna quit the Navy with 14 yrs in....thank God I didn't. And I pay $115 per quarter for insurance for my wife and kid. I consider myself very fortunate when it comes to medical stuff.

Just watch out for current plans to change TRICARE for Life. A lot of retired servicemen and women opted for the plan, but I understand there is pending legislation to play with this promise again.

I gonna have to give the other side of the story, I work in the ICU of a small hospital, The ins co and the gov. tell us what they will pay, rarely does it cover our cost. For example one surgical case, the ICU's expense was over $100,000 medicare from what I was shown by our manager paid a whooping $7000.

I don't know about where you are but at our hospital if you are self pay, they only bill you with the cost of your service, and no interrest.

Hospitals are business, they must make some money to survive.

Now granted, the big hospital 40 miles from us has millions in the bank, and we barely survive on donations to the hospital foundation.

the biggest culprit to the drain on our medical system, is attorney's, these TV sue me lawyers are sucking the system dry. Every time they get one of these mass settlements, guess who's pocket it comes from.

Gregg

When we had insurance at the end of Rose's stay at the hospital we waited and waited to go home. At shift change a new Dr. would walk in, look at her chart, walk out and then the nurse would let us leave. Can we guess why? Rod

When we had insurance at the end of Rose's stay at the hospital we waited and waited to go home. At shift change a new Dr. would walk in, look at her chart, walk out and then the nurse would let us leave. Can we guess why? Rod

So they could charge you more!!

Insurance #1 Crook

Lawyers #2 Crook

Medical #3 Crook

These three are living good off what I had saved for retirement.

I do not complain about paying for the service I get but one surgical case $100,000.00????

KInd of hard to take when you have seen the inflated bills I have in the last few years. Charges for things you do not even recieve fill 1/2 the page. Insurance and Medical are living off us and lawyers are living off them. Won't take a case unless there is plenty of Insurance!!