IGNORED

Ideas on the best 1500# motorcycle lift table

Hey folks.

I have a lot of bikes and do a whole lot of bike maintenance in my home shop for myself and others. I've always had the mechanics curse and can't say no to any motorcycle or car repair challenge:detective:.

I'm getting older:backinmyday: and am tired of kneeling or lying down to work on bikes. I retired a few years back, but stayed around until my replacement can take over (next June). So, with more available time, I want to keep working on bikes, but have things a little easier.

Looking to buy a 1500# motorcycle lift table pneumatic/hydraulic type and am looking for input on the most recommended one out there. A 1000 # will probably do, but I don't wanna leave a 900+ # bike on a 1000 # lift for any extended period if it takes a while for repairs/parts. Maybe I'm overkilling the need. Chime in and tell me your thoughts.

Size isn't an issue. I have room. Dependablility and durability are my priorities.

O.K., now I'm open for your suggestions....and thanks!

ya know, i had bought the regular ATV lift from sears & can't for the life of me remember the poundage capability. i would not hesitate to lift my o4 RSV and have it up for a few hours. I also have the imitation carbon one lift adapter so steadiness is taken care of.

your needs seem to be a bit more than this, so get one that is name branded where reliability is normally associated.

this the 1 i use , it lifts the tires 30 ins. off the ground and cost 159.00 at harbor freight rated for 1200 lbs. i like because i can sit my chair and work on the bike , i also used it to pick up my trailer , those 8 in. tires are to close to the ground

i went down to the local bike dealership and looked at the ones they use every day and asked about the likes and the dislikes, then purchased one from the same company that they purchased from, and used the dealers discounts.

make sure and purchase some no skid strips to install down the center of your tread path and on the MUCH NEEDED removeable side steps, they are a must have unless your legs can touch the floor on both sides of the table while your driving onto or off of the lift table.

being able to remove the sides, gives you a closer to the work ability.. and allows you to lift the lawn tractor or atv.

mike.

This is the one I own and I love it. Comes with the extension for choppers and also comes with a jack and removable side panels so you can use it for the lawn mower or ATV or even smowmobile. I've had the RSV on it several times with no problems or issues. Which ever table you get, be sure it has a removable rear panel for removing the tire. It sure does make maintenance much easier with a table. IMHO it was worth every penny. Also be sure to put an oiler inline with the cylinder to keep it lubed well and most any of them should last a long time

http://www.completehydraulic.com/tcmlw.html

Hey folks.

I have a lot of bikes and do a whole lot of bike maintenance in my home shop for myself and others. I've always had the mechanics curse and can't say no to any motorcycle or car repair challenge:detective:.

I'm getting older:backinmyday: and am tired of kneeling or lying down to work on bikes. I retired a few years back, but stayed around until my replacement can take over (next June). So, with more available time, I want to keep working on bikes, but have things a little easier.

Looking to buy a 1500# motorcycle lift table pneumatic/hydraulic type and am looking for input on the most recommended one out there. A 1000 # will probably do, but I don't wanna leave a 900+ # bike on a 1000 # lift for any extended period if it takes a while for repairs/parts. Maybe I'm overkilling the need. Chime in and tell me your thoughts.

Size isn't an issue. I have room. Dependablility and durability are my priorities.

O.K., now I'm open for your suggestions....and thanks!

Princess Auto up here in the Great White North has a sale on right now for 499, for a air/hydraulic lift....you ride the bike up on to it, I have the straight hydraulic one, and it works like a charm for the Venture. There is a lock bar on it, so you don't have to worry about the weight, but I believe the gross weight is 1,000 or over. I can look up the company name/manufacturer if you like and send it to you. It's a great lift, with a scissor jack you can pull out the rear end to change the back tire....a real nice piece for the garage.

randy:shock3:

This is the one I own and I love it. Comes with the extension for choppers and also comes with a jack and removable side panels so you can use it for the lawn mower or ATV or even smowmobile. I've had the RSV on it several times with no problems or issues. Which ever table you get, be sure it has a removable rear panel for removing the tire. It sure does make maintenance much easier with a table. IMHO it was worth every penny. Also be sure to put an oiler inline with the cylinder to keep it lubed well and most any of them should last a long time

Is this unit stable? It looks like a good unit and a decent price.

"I can look up the company name/manufacturer if you like and send it to you." Randy

Can you post the name and web site if you have it

Thanks

Steve

The name of the company is "Power Fist"

http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-other-Motorcycle-Lift-W0QQAdIdZ152240989

That is a link to some pics of a guy selling one in Barrie, Ontario for $150....what a steal!!!

Randy:shock3:

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-lifts.htm

Another site well worth visiting.

Edited by gunkylump
more information

Is this unit stable? It looks like a good unit and a decent price.

I have had no issues with stability or anything else as far as that goes. The wheels in the front of the lift are about 2 feet apart and the bar in the rear is about 4 feet long. I've had mine for almost a year and I have had the RSV and my wifes Virago on it several times with absolutely no issues what so ever. It comes with a couple of eye bolts that installs on the table on each side of the wheel lock. I hook a small ratchet strap on each side of the handle bars down to the eye blots for extra protection. Once you get the bike raised to the height you want it, you swing down a bar from under the table that fits into a slot. Then you let out all of the air and you can dis-connect the air compressor to run air ratchets or what ever, and the table stays rock solid. To let it down, hook up the air compressor to the table and raise it about an inch then swing up the bar under the table and let it down...simple as that. I have a friend that owns a Honda VTX 1800 and he has a table just like this one and loves it. The sides will also remove for better access to the bike and you can install the sides up side down and use them for a parts/tool tray. The ramps on the rear can easily be removed for better access. If you are looking for a lift table, you can't go wrong with this one. I would suggest having a dedicated spot for it because it is sort of a pain to move. You can pick it up from the rear and wheel it around on the front wheels like a wheel barrel but it is heavy.

Edited by raceman62race

I believe this one will do just fine. It has all the features I want in one package. Gotta figure out the shipping resources available to me at my house. Have plenty of room for the truck to come into the neighborhood, but I don't have access to a dock or forklift.:bawling:

Thanks for the ideas :lightbulb: ...priceless!

I believe this one will do just fine. It has all the features I want in one package. Gotta figure out the shipping resources available to me at my house. Have plenty of room for the truck to come into the neighborhood, but I don't have access to a dock or forklift.:bawling:

Thanks for the ideas :lightbulb: ...priceless!

Oddly enough, I had decided to look into lifts the day this thread came up....must be Karma?:smile5:

This is the lift I am leaning to but have to work on the delivery situation. I wanted to call today but was busy. I don't know if a forklift is really required as much as two strong men....or women:pushups:

No room for a truck here so will have to figure out where I can get it dropped?

I have had back surgery a couple of years ago (a great success and a blessing), so I'm not really gonna push it trying to lift much over 50# anymore.

But I want that lift and will find a way to get it here. I guess I could drive to Indiana and have them load it in my truck. WooHoo. A road trip!

I'm soon moving into my new 24x24 garage (aka MANLAND) and was looking at various options for hoisting the bike up to work on it. With the bad knees, I have to bring the bike up to working level to save pain and strain..

A lift table, where you ride the bike up and hoist the whole platform up as you would see in most shops would be an ideal thing but after working on one I found you end up having to lean forward to reach the bike and you end up straining your lower back to some degree..

With a jack, you are able to saddle up closer to the bike, and not lean forward.. so it's been my experience with them so far.. With the jack hoisting the bike up on the frame (composite one? can't remember) it's quite stable and you can do the wheels and such while on the table hoist, the wheels rest on the stand.. ya know?

Things to consider..

I would think with a 2' wide deck and a Venture on it you would not be required to bend too much?

I could be wrong? I had thought about that cause my lowerr back gets sore easily.

I figured the width plus being able to lower and raise would make standing comfortable????

Hmmm, good point though!

I would think with a 2' wide deck and a Venture on it you would not be required to bend too much?

I could be wrong? I had thought about that cause my lowerr back gets sore easily.

I figured the width plus being able to lower and raise would make standing comfortable????

Hmmm, good point though!

All the ones I had seen in shops seems to have a wider deck, and you ended up leaning more.. however, it did bring the lower part of the engine up closer to your face if you went high enough..

I'll have to have another look at it again though..

the drop out wheel panel is the best feature, also have never had a bike come loose from the front wheel clamp, and fall off like those clowns on OCC . BTW if you Dont strap your bikes even with a wheel clamp you deserve to have your bike fall off :).:happy-emoticon:

PS. I added a few shots of mine in the gallery,

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=2320

( and yes that is chip foose in the background ) :)

Edited by maindog
added info.

Like maindog said, I strap my bike as well. No mater how you do it if you are like me, you'll get the "hee bee jee bee's" the first time or 2 you lift a bike. But you will soon get to where you will just throw a bike on the lift, clamp and strap her down good and lift her up with no worries.

the drop out wheel panel is the best feature, also have never had a bike come loose from the front wheel clamp, and fall off like those clowns on OCC . BTW if you Dont strap your bikes even with a wheel clamp you deserve to have your bike fall off :)

Oh wow, someone pointed out that the 'wideness' of this lift was do to removable "trays' installed in the photo http://www.completehydraulic.com/lifts-motorcycle-tcmlw.html

Ahhhh.. hey ya know, NOT bad.. you can actually saddle right up to it.. Hmmm Gonna see if I can find me one of those.. Hmmmm

Are these available in Maine?