IGNORED

Gearheads: Suggest spares for 4 month trip to Mexico

I'm goin to tacoland for several months on my antique. What old bike parrts fail the most? I know it's the one you are not carrying!

My guess- a TCI, starter and relay, fuel pump. There is a limit!

Duct tape, super glue, spare batt, spark plugs, brake fluid, brake pads, fork oil, gallon engine oil, Ride-On, 12vdc tire pump, tire plug kit, rubber gloves, bars leak, Pledge, micro-fiber towels, LED flashlight, spare light bulbs, Spare key.....

No matter what you take it'll probably not be what you need if you have a problem.

If it were me, I'd make sure all my maintenance was caught up before the trip. Then I'd take a few basics:

- Some 16 gauge wire

- Wire nuts

- Electrical tape

- A tube for each tire

- Replacement headlamp bulb

- Fuses (although they should always be in there!)

- Basic tool kit (should always be there too!)

- MasterCard

I gotta believe that 1156 and 1157 bulbs are plentiful in Mexico, but you could throw some in for convenience.

Have a nice trip!

My first gen has never let me down and I have ridden it all over the US without even a hickup. I would be more afraid of someone stealing it. I knew a guy that got pulled over by the cops and they took his bike and left him standing there.

Edited by ctraylor
Added to

No matter what you take it'll probably not be what you need if you have a problem.

If it were me, I'd make sure all my maintenance was caught up before the trip. Then I'd take a few basics:

- Some 16 gauge wire

- Wire nuts

- Electrical tape

- A tube for each tire

- Replacement headlamp bulb

- Fuses (although they should always be in there!)

- Basic tool kit (should always be there too!)

- MasterCard

I gotta believe that 1156 and 1157 bulbs are plentiful in Mexico, but you could throw some in for convenience.

Have a nice trip!

So there are wally worlds in every big mexican city i'm told....

This is the biggest fear- a stator means a complete rebuild. I think I'd just dixie cup it and take a bus to Nuevo Loredo!:95:

Nope, this is not the same as a wing...... The stator is on the left side, I did 2 stators in 1 afternoon, while in Cody........

:canada:

Don't want to scare you,

Living in New Mexico I have traveled through Mexico.

I would take everything in lockable cases, ie: trailer.

In years past I didn't worry much, but now with the problems

and viloence in and around the border towns, I would have second thoughts about going, but if I did everything would be totally secured. Plan your trip to stay in busy motels

where you can park and chain your MC in front of your room. Don't stop for

anyone that looks like they need help on the road. This I hate to say, but in

these times a lot of the waves for help are set ups for robbery. Any more the only way I would travel to Mexico is with a GUIDED RIDE/TOUR with everthing planned. The reason I

suggest you be careful and think ahead every move, is the violence in the border towns and smaller towns traveled through is not being reported in the states. The Police and Military are as corrupt as they come. OH!, and do not let anyone help with your luggage

or MC, and INSPECT (SEARCH) any motel room you stay, for contraband that may have been placed as a set up, for a snitches reward. This is real important if you ride on the trains. Mexico is a beautiful place and worth seeing on a bike, just please pay attention to every detail and look out for you own.

I have to work, no vacation left, or I might consider it.

Sorry to rain on your parade...10-15 years ago it would be a great trip.

But now...not so sure

You maybe a Victim, by Choice...

I got this in a email Thursday from one of the instructors of a school I attend on a regular basis concerning a request from his daughter to go with a friends parents to their vacation home in Mexico for a couple of weeks during the holidays...they have not been down there in a couple of years. He said there was no way he was gonna let her go and advised the parents of her daughters friend also. This is why...

"I reviewed current State Department, as well as Stratfor, advice with

regard to foreign travel, specifically in Mexico. News is not good!

Mexico's economy relies expectantly on tourist dollars, and therefore

Mexico's government heavily influences local media to downplay dangers to

tourists. However, the depressing truth is that vicious drug-gangs operate

freely everywhere in Mexico and are successfully challenging the 'legitimate'

government for control in large areas. Widespread, endemic corruption

within police and local governments adds to risks for foreigners. In addition

to illegal drugs, kidnaping is a growth industry, as is white-slavery!

Friends at the State Department inform me that, in view of the foregoing,

none would ever go to any part of Mexico right now, for any reason, nor

would they allow family members to do so, not even a short sojourn in a

border-town!

Comment: Never apologize for taking a direct role in looking after your own

best interests and those of your family.

"Prepared" is present tense. "Victim" is past tense. "Justice," is

also present tense. Justice can never be reconstructed. It does not exist

in past tense. Never has!

I can also send you some photos of the aftermath of some of the shootings or maybe a better word for it is BATTLES that take place down there on a regular basis. I will not post them here cause they contain rather bloody corps and brains of folks spead all over the inside of SUV's. Lots of automatic weapons and lots of Dead innocent folks caught in the cross fire...

I would highly advise you to stay away unless you are trained by BLACKWATER USA or the U.S. Training Center on Tactical/Urban warfare and are very very well armed with plenty of ammo.

The only thing I could tell you to carry is multiple weapons with AMMO, if you can get them across the border going south without getting arrested.

One more thing...you need to be as alert as a CAT 24/7.

I think you need to rethink this...