IGNORED

Question about Ford Explorers

bendtdj

I hope someone here can steer me in the proper direction. I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Limited that I purchased about 2 years ago. It has the reverse sensing unit on it, where it beeps if you get close to anything backing up. I would like to find out how to set the darn thing so that the default is OFF. With cold weather setting in, the blankity thing is beeping at me from the exhaust steam. It is driving me nuts!!!!!!!! Any knowledge about these systems here?

Thanks,

Dave

Have no idea where if you can shut it off with a switch or not, if all else fails, you could just cut the wire going into the beeper and install a toggle switch to that wire.. now you can flip it on & off as you want..:confused24:

What Eck said.

It is hard programmed to default to on. There is a switch that you can use to shut it off, but you will have to push that button every time you go into reverse.

OR

Do like Eck said and install your own switch.

Or

Do like my significant other did and get rear ended by a Chevy P/U to break a sensor on the back bumper.

I'm guessing there is some combination of things you can do to turn it on or off. For example to disable the 'automatic' door locking mechanism you do something similar to the following:

1) turn the key to the on position but do not start the vehicle.

2) Press the unlock button (on the driver's door) 3 times in succession

3) turn the key one click back and press the unlock button three times in succession

4) turn the key back to the ON position.

If you were successful the car will beep once to indicate you diabled it or twice to indicate that you enabled it.

On my F-250 you can disable the seat belt warnings with a similar process that includes turning the key on and off a few times, the unlock button and cycling the lights.

So, if you have one, check your owner's manual to see if there is a process outlined to do what you want it to do.

just went on line with fomco and the sensors on the back of that vehicle do not have any adjustment and don't have any tsb software updates or anything.

all of the sensors are the same on the back of that machine, so you might try swapping the left and right sides and see if your exhaust vapor concern is still there or not

it would be a cheap way to test the sensor...

mike

Trade it in for a new Chevy. :stirthepot::rotf:

Seriously, I think Eck has the best solution, put a simple on/off toggle switch between the control box and the noise maker. You can leave the noise maker off all the time, and only turn it on when you are actually in a tight spot trying to back up.

At least that's what I would do.