IGNORED

The Journey Begins - Nexen SB802

Wanderer

Guest tx2sturgis
Hearing protection is certainly advised. :D I spect most of us, at least me, are still in the learning process, but by gosh I am now an official darksider and loving it.

What a great idea for a tshirt...

Official Darksider

...I'm loving it!

Maybe a logo of a set of earmuffs over a car tire?

How about a patch for our vest or jacket?

This might be fun!

:happy34:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have dropped down to 32 psi, and like it better, rides better and I like it better in the curves, feels like its really hooked up.

I like the kumho, but actually Mickey's bike( my old 2000) rides smoother, it has the nexum on it, the tire is softer so this would account for a smoother ride.

Gregg

I have dropped down to 32 psi, and like it better, rides better and I like it better in the curves, feels like its really hooked up.

I like the kumho, but actually Mickey's bike( my old 2000) rides smoother, it has the nexum on it, the tire is softer so this would account for a smoother ride.

Gregg

Gregg, do you keep it the same for two-up? I didn't see any significant difference with Patricia on the back, but it was only for a short distance. Haven't had the opportunity to ride that much yet.

:Venture:

Hey, when are we gonna get a seashell/raven rsv smiley? :whistling:

hi ted

welcome to the darkside.keep us informed on your likes and dislikes. ponch and i rode up to jerryw's north texas maintance day. rode over 1,200 miles that weekend. i like the feel & ride of my kuhmo c/t on the rear and avon corba tire on the front. smooth as glass.

best reguards

don c.

Thanks Don. I hope to get some riding in soon.

I have noticed a couple of things, like coming out of a curve the bike seems to not roll back but land flat. O.K. by me, but it took a minute to get used to. It does seem to have all the traction you'd expect, but I had no traction problems with the m/c tire. Hope to soon give it a real work out. I am not a real twisty kind of guy, getting a little too old for that but I love the way it feels shooting down the super slab. I've still got tons of use left in the oem 404 on the front, yet plan to change it out next month. I'm considering the Pirelli MT66 rear reversed on the front, but I'm still researching that.

:Venture:

Ted I don't change for two up, but I don't ride 2 up alot. Karren did ride some with me in daytona, a couple other bikers told me my back tire looked low, I was not having any problems with handling with Karren on back, and she's over 150 lbs. So later I checked it had 27 lbs in it. It was a little baggy, so I pumped it up to the point where it looked like it should be and that was 32 lbs. So I left it there, rode home 250 miles, no problems.

Ted I was reading your post about the frount, take my word for it, put the Avon cobra on frount, the pirelli is a much better tire than the bridgestone, but its does not compare to the cobra radial. Just ask Bloodbought1 and gunboat, their believers.

Gregg

Ted I was reading your post about the frount, take my word for it, put the Avon cobra on frount, the pirelli is a much better tire than the bridgestone, but its does not compare to the cobra radial. Just ask Bloodbought1 and gunboat, their believers.

Gregg

I know what you say is true, but buying a $165.00 Cobra seems to defeat some real cost

savings :mo money: that are the true gift of riding the darkside. What I'm saying is, I want to achieve the best of both worlds, super savings without sacrificing too much on

the handling side. Having experienced the Pirelli first hand on a previous bike, it is no

slouch, but neither is it a radial - - - hmmm:icon_smile_question

I really don't look at it that way, but your are right if your goal is to save money on tires. The pirelli might be the way to go. But it would depend on the tire life.

I went to the radial car tire on rear, and radial in frount for ride and handling was my main goal. One of mine had pirelli's on it

But I have seen A couple of Avon Radials on the frount of Valkyries with 20,000 miles on them.

TED

Have you received you Iron butt stuff yet.

Gregg

Haven't received any Iron Butt stuff yet, but the last one my step-daughter and I rode in took 7 months to receive any thing. The summer months are naturally the Iron Butt ride months and all the verifications are done by volunteers so it takes some time. It will come, but probably no time soon. ;)

A friend of mine who is a member of this site just blew the side out of a Nexen tire while trying to mount it on his RSV. He said it blew out at 120 psi. It would seat all but about 6 inches around the bead and he locked the air chuck on the wheel, set the pressure at 120 and stepped out of the garage. When he peeked in, it blew. Said it took a few years off his life. I'm planning on giving it a try, but with a Kuhmo.:fingers-crossed-emo

Glenn

Just wanted to make a correction. Talked to my friend again today about his tire exploding on him and he said it wasn't a Nexen. Couldn't remember the name of the tire but knew it wasn't a Nexen. My apologies to Nexen. Wanted to clear that up case someone was looking to buy a Nexen.

Glenn

Once mounted "LUBE" liberlity with your choice with WD-40 or STP which workes great, 2/3oz Dyno Beads for a good balance....Just put on several from Kumbo, BFG and NEXEN all went on with 80 lbs or less with the proper lube, Take a few miles to get use to the sway ,,adjust the air pressure from 30 to 38 for the best ride...still not a m/t so it will take a few laps to get used to the fill ov the bike,,,,,but $70. for a c/t that gets 44k to a m/c tire thats get 5-7k for $160+ "THA DARK SIDE"

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ted, I 've got a brand new Kumho sitting in my shop just waiting for me to get the last bit of mileage out of the stock tire before changing to the Darkside. My friend Dan, who rides a Goldwing, just recently changed over to the DS and he loves it! I'll probably change over in the next couple of weeks.

Hey Ted, I 've got a brand new Kumho sitting in my shop just waiting for me to get the last bit of mileage out of the stock tire before changing to the Darkside. My friend Dan, who rides a Goldwing, just recently changed over to the DS and he loves it! I'll probably change over in the next couple of weeks.

Good on ya. I haven't put as many miles as I had expected I would, but sure haven't got any complaints so far. I' m working on the courage to drag the floor boards, but I didn't have all that much courage with the m/c tire. :D

If you want some help, I am in Ashburn, we are not that far apart, given me a call.

I am off wed thru fri every week, and off every other weekend, have a shop and tools.

Gregg

Good on ya. I haven't put as many miles as I had expected I would, but sure haven't got any complaints so far. I' m working on the courage to drag the floor boards, but I didn't have all that much courage with the m/c tire. :D

Every time I drag my floorboards my heart skips a beat. Traction is definately not a issue with a Ct.

I've recently had communique with Dave (BigBoyinMS) about some wobble I was experiencing at high speed after increasing my tire pressure. As you know I started with 33#, but was going for a good ride down Savannah way this weekend so the morning before, I went to the local gas station and upped it to 40#; I thought.

When ever we got in passing mode or rode at 85(speedo) I was getting a good wobble on the back end. I did not like this and didn't remember that happening at 33#. So today I checked the tire with my known good gauge and it was 45#. Crap, I lowered it to 35# and headed out on the interstate. 80, 85, 90, and so on.

No wobble. I think 45# is just way to much:think:. My theory is that it rounds out the tire and puts to much pressure on the sidewalls, so that any variances in the road or wind conditions can cause you to get a hefty wobble at high speeds.

Any who, I've decided to stay with 35# for now.:thumbsup2:

Your thoughts or similar experiences would be appreciated.

I've got a BFG TA radial on back and I have my pressure at 35#. Riding is mostly 2 up on the Venture, and I have no wobble, up to 100mph, which is usually all I need when passing slower traffic. I know that at that setting, when I ride alone, I do get a little wobble at the higher speeds, but I don't lower the pressure.